Shoes

TallinnGirl

You might want to look cute even in Alaska but you want something comfortable because even though you aren't a big hiker, hopefully, you will still want to go see Mendenhall glacier while in Juneau for one example. Juneau can be a rainy place. Our first time there it was all rainy. Don't let the rain hold you back from seeing and doing and it won't if your feet are warm and dry.

You might want to look cute even in Alaska but you want something comfortable because even though you aren't a big hiker, hopefully, you will still want to go see Mendenhall glacier while in Juneau for one example. Juneau can be a rainy place. Our first time there it was all rainy. Don't let the rain hold you back from seeing and doing and it won't if your feet are warm and dry.

Now this I completely agree with!

Nice.... crystal sandals and black silk pumps - just helped my decide on which thongs to bring for the spa - my Tommy Bahama ones with all the bling! And my black Anne Klein silk pumps - you just helped me with my shoe packing list sarafinadh! :) You are probably my kindred spirit.

Hey Sole Sistah!

glad to help ; -)

I just bought these for our trip. We're going in September though and plan on doing the colder excursions like the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier tour and we want to be outside on the observation deck as much as possible. We don't plan to spend much time in townWe aslo got an aft wrap around balcony and plan on staying out there through Glacier Bay. These were super cute and look comfy. They're weather resistant and I plan on hitting them with some scotch guard before we go.

http://www.zappos.com/khombu-saturn-low-black?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_zc2

these looked cute too

http://www.zappos.com/khombu-maple-zip-2-black

This applies more to clothes but the downside of dressing more for comfort than fashion on trips is that this is usually the time you have more pictues taken of yourself (at least for me). I have some awful shots of myself in Europe wearing capris with clodhopper shoes:eek:.

As far as shoes for Alaska, I'll wear my heaviest, waterproof sneakers on the plane and bring 1 pair heals for formal nights, 1 pair casual shoes for ship, and 1 pair flip flops or sandals for pool area. I'm also thinking of bringing one extra pair of sneakers (as recommended here) in case one pair gets muddy because we'd like to do some hiking. On my Norwegian fjord cruise last summer my shoes got muddy half way thru the cruise and it was not fun. I'll probably have to bring less clothes in order to do this.

This applies more to clothes but the downside of dressing more for comfort than fashion on trips is that this is usually the time you have more pictues taken of yourself (at least for me). I have some awful shots of myself in Europe wearing capris with clodhopper shoes:eek:.

This is my concern exactly! While you are comfortable, the photos don't look so great!!! I figured worst case scenario, I can get some great pics and if I get extremely uncomfortable, run back to the ship and change :p

I just bought these for our trip. We're going in September though and plan on doing the colder excursions like the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier tour and we want to be outside on the observation deck as much as possible. We don't plan to spend much time in townWe aslo got an aft wrap around balcony and plan on staying out there through Glacier Bay. These were super cute and look comfy. They're weather resistant and I plan on hitting them with some scotch guard before we go.

http://www.zappos.com/khombu-saturn-low-black?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_zc2

these looked cute too

http://www.zappos.com/khombu-maple-zip-2-black

While these will keep you warm for the excursions you described, make sure you spray them with waterproofing spray. Water resistant is not water proof. They probably won't be really good in the rain.

While these will keep you warm for the excursions you described, make sure you spray them with waterproofing spray. Water resistant is not water proof. They probably won't be really good in the rain.

yes, I stated that I plan to spray them with Scoth Guard. It works pretty well on clothing in lighter weather, but I'll check into the water proofing spray for shoes. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
What shoes do you recommend for men? We are having a hard time choosing which shoes to buy for the hubby...

Same thing--a waterproof low hiking shoe. DH is taking those and a pair of Reebok black leather walking shoes (sprayed with waterproofing). I think the important thing is to have a spare pair and be comfortable.

i have to laugh about the dress shoes.....no dress shoes for me...

only lightweight hiking shoes, cross trainers and sandals will find their way into my suitcase (and onto my feet)..

and one of those 3 will be on my feet on board the ship, regardless of what i'm wearing...

no way are dress shoes going to take up my very limited suitcase space..

I pack a really good pair of walking shoes, a pair of dressier shoes for formal nights/specialty dining, and a 2nd pair of comfy shoes so that I can switch out if needed. If we plan to use the pool or jacuzzi, we have very lightweight water shoes that are easy to pack. I can't go barefoot and these shoes also help prevent slipping because of the rubber soles.

no way are dress shoes going to take up my very limited suitcase space..

I am not sure what your weight allowance is on your flight but I can manage to take 35 kilos with me :) and another 35 for hubby so with 70 kg combined, we should both be able to pack a pair of dress shoes...

I am not sure what your weight allowance is on your flight but I can manage to take 35 kilos with me :) and another 35 for hubby so with 70 kg combined, we should both be able to pack a pair of dress shoes...

23 kg i think it is, but if truth be told, i wouldn't bring them anyway..

i wouldn't wear them. i'm on vacation.

Vacation to me is not having to wear things i hate. that includes dress shoes. ;)

for my husband that means not bringing a jacket and tie. in all our vacations, no jacket/tie has ever found its way into our luggage.

if that means having to forego the specialty restaurant or formal night in the MDR, c'est la vie. It's his vacation too.

I have been checking back every day to see if you have updated your thread on "having second thoughts about the cruise" meaning going to Alaska with your mom and your sister.

What did you decide? It was a story I'm sure many were following.

I hope you got this and update us. Thank you.

if that means having to forego the specialty restaurant or formal night in the MDR, c'est la vie.

Don't have to forgo the specialty restaurants, they are smart casual, so you are good to go ; -)

And hey, I am noting people saying they will bring sandals or flip flops or water shoes for the pool. Is is REALLY warm enough on an Alaskan cruise to swim???

Really???

Novice cruiser here who is greatly enjoying all the sharing on this forum.

Since I am an 11 extra wide, my shoe choices are much more limited (I live in Danskos or Birks for the most part).

Hubby is a shoe princess, so we planning on his Orthaheel slides for pool/room, Keen Pyrenees waterproof hikers (no flight for us so he will wear these) and a great pair of Keen Nopo lace-ups. These have waterproof leather uppers similiar in cut to a deck shoe with Keens hiker insole and sole. He has agreed to at least one formal night and I am trying to convince him that the dark brown Nopo's will pass with his gray slacks and suit jacket so we won't have to pack another pair of size 14's. :eek:

I am trying to find an alternative for myself for on deck and in port. Looking at several Keen low hikers but will most likely end up with one of their pairs that are in the City Street catagory so I can wear them after the trip. Gonna wear my black dressy Danskos (they will be okay with either black slacks or a long dress - no pantyhose - so should work fine) and take the Orthaheel slides for slippers also.

Don't forget the fitted socks and to wear any new shoes many times before you head out. Blisters are so not relaxing! To be on the safe-side, I always have a sheet of moleskin tucked in my wallet, has saved many a vacation! If your feet aren't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.

Don't have to forgo the specialty restaurants, they are smart casual, so you are good to go ; -)

And hey, I am noting people saying they will bring sandals or flip flops or water shoes for the pool. Is is REALLY warm enough on an Alaskan cruise to swim???

Really???

if i fly all the way to the US for an alaska trip, i will have to add on a pilgrammage to disney world - herego the sandals :rolleyes:

I have been checking back every day to see if you have updated your thread on "having second thoughts about the cruise" meaning going to Alaska with your mom and your sister.

What did you decide? It was a story I'm sure many were following.

I hope you got this and update us. Thank you.

it's not certain yet either way....but i'll go update it now..:)

Good, looking forward to the update on your story.

It will be an interesting one to follow. Hope you post a review at the end of your trip also. By the way, I missed what cruise are you booked on?

Really???

The jacuzzis definitely are warm enough. I have seen people using the pool on the Alaska cruises too. I guess it is a personal choice. I was thinking more of the jacuzzis than the pool. I did see one video where the cruise line offered a "polar plunge" for anyone interested.

I think too that if I was going to do any of the spa things (hydro pool, saunas etc) I still would want my water shoes to help prevent slipping etc.

Novice cruiser here who is greatly enjoying all the sharing on this forum.

Since I am an 11 extra wide, my shoe choices are much more limited (I live in Danskos or Birks for the most part).

Hubby is a shoe princess, so we planning on his Orthaheel slides for pool/room, Keen Pyrenees waterproof hikers (no flight for us so he will wear these) and a great pair of Keen Nopo lace-ups. These have waterproof leather uppers similiar in cut to a deck shoe with Keens hiker insole and sole. He has agreed to at least one formal night and I am trying to convince him that the dark brown Nopo's will pass with his gray slacks and suit jacket so we won't have to pack another pair of size 14's. :eek:

I am trying to find an alternative for myself for on deck and in port. Looking at several Keen low hikers but will most likely end up with one of their pairs that are in the City Street catagory so I can wear them after the trip. Gonna wear my black dressy Danskos (they will be okay with either black slacks or a long dress - no pantyhose - so should work fine) and take the Orthaheel slides for slippers also.

Don't forget the fitted socks and to wear any new shoes many times before you head out. Blisters are so not relaxing! To be on the safe-side, I always have a sheet of moleskin tucked in my wallet, has saved many a vacation! If your feet aren't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.

my daughter's on the flip side - 11 super narrow (triple A)...

go find a pair of size 11 triple A women's shoes.......if you find a pair, they cost a king's ransom...

Archived