Jitney Map?

LaShelle2

I want to know where the Jitney will take you? On my last Nassau trip, we rode the Jitney from the McDonald's stop near the Hilton all the way to the Love Beach Area and back.

We did this to get a "cheap" island tour of sorts. We made friends with the locals on the bus, and they were happy to point out things and the driver even stopped a couple of times to pick fruit on the side of the road for us to sample. I think we paid $5 rt per person, since it was a little longer than the normal ride.

What I want to know is, where do the jitneys go on the other side of the island? Is there a route map somewhere I can check?

We are more interested in seeing the "real life" every day people of Nassau than a resort. We visited Nassau 4 times last year, and we want something diferent this trip.

I want to know where the Jitney will take you? On my last Nassau trip, we rode the Jitney from the McDonald's stop near the Hilton all the way to the Love Beach Area and back.

We did this to get a "cheap" island tour of sorts. We made friends with the locals on the bus, and they were happy to point out things and the driver even stopped a couple of times to pick fruit on the side of the road for us to sample. I think we paid $5 rt per person, since it was a little longer than the normal ride.

What I want to know is, where do the jitneys go on the other side of the island? Is there a route map somewhere I can check?

We are more interested in seeing the "real life" every day people of Nassau than a resort. We visited Nassau 4 times last year, and we want something diferent this trip.

Different could be dangerous these days.

There's no map of jitney routes and I don't recommend you just "take a ride" ..

Crime is at an all time high in the nassau/ PI area. Stay in the tourist areas unless you are with a local who can keep you out of trouble.

The #10 and 10 a run along the tourist corridor. it's a nice way to see the water and some nice homes.

I never felt unsafe on the jitney. We just use common sense, like not wearing our jewelry and not flashing wads of money around.

We were thinking of just staying on the jitney and enjoying the scenery, not getting off and walking around anywhere.

How would we go about finding a local tour guide?

I contacted people to people and never got a response.

I never felt unsafe on the jitney. We just use common sense, like not wearing our jewelry and not flashing wads of money around.

We were thinking of just staying on the jitney and enjoying the scenery, not getting off and walking around anywhere.

How would we go about finding a local tour guide?

I contacted people to people and never got a response.

Things have changed in the last few months.. and not for the better.

You can find a guide outside the port exit..just ask the taxi captain. he'll set you up with someone.

Or call sandra ferguson.

www.bahamas-treasures.com/fergiestaxi

ScubaGirl is telling the way it is right now... Nassau goes thru waves of crime/less crime. She would not want to read about the "tourist" that went on a trip and did not come back...

I MIGHT rent a jeep on GBI... Nassau a taxi or #10 to Wyndham/Crystal Palace and enjoy a nice beach/pool/etc.

I certainly admire you wanting to see "the other side" with the locals but I would advise listening to ScubaGirl... she lives there and sees it every day.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm cruising solo in two weeks and I plan to walk around using the Frommer's walking tour and also go to the Fish Fry. I'm pretty street smart but don't want to put myself in a bad situation, will I be ok walking around in those areas alone? Thanks so much!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm cruising solo in two weeks and I plan to walk around using the Frommer's walking tour and also go to the Fish Fry. I'm pretty street smart but don't want to put myself in a bad situation, will I be ok walking around in those areas alone? Thanks so much!

yes, just go after 8:30am and before dusk. (except Fish fry.. after dark is fine.. there are cabs to get you back.

There's is a big police presence in the daytime..

Archived