Need Advice, Re: D6T or D7T HAL Zaandam Late Aug in Alaska

Bagbabe53

Hi, Have limited cruising experience. Took small boat cruise with Variety to Greek islands and Turkey in 2010, which we enjoyed a lot.

This will be our first time on a big boat, and going with friends who like HAL. The wife of the other couple has severe RA, which limits her walking, and she refuses to use a wheelchair. We will be traveling in late August, and are considering the land and cruise tours HAL offers, in this case the Denali Plus ones.

One has a stay at Alyeska Hotel Resort for a couple of days, and the other does not; has anyone done a HAL Cruise Tour of this type? Anyone ever stayed at Alyeska Resort (TA reviews are generally good). What should we expect in late Aug re: weather/rainy days? Any opinions on the Zaandam?

All replies greatly appreciated.

We stayed at the Alyeska on a HAL cruise many years ago. I enjoyed it, it is a beautiful resort but would require some walking. The gondola can be taken to the top of the mountain for absolutely breathtaking views, but walking is required and it would be a bit uneven at the top. If I recall there is a cafe at the top though and you can also see the views from there without much walking.

I suggest that if you have any questions, you contact HAL about their land tours and the amount of mobility you need for the various tours. They would be much more knowledgeable.

Have a great time, Alaska is beautiful. The weather varies from day to day, I have been there during floods and drought.

Zaandam is a lovely mid-sized ship, a perfect size for Alaska IMHO.

May Denali grace you with an actual appearance, many days it remains hidden. :) (we have yet to be so lucky!)

........The wife of the other couple has severe RA, which limits her walking, and she refuses to use a wheelchair. We will be traveling in late August, and are considering the land and cruise tours HAL offers, in this case the Denali Plus ones.......

Bagbabe53... You may be able to get a good idea of what to expect by calling HAL's

ACCESS & COMPLIANCE DEPARTMENT AT (800) 547-8493 or (206) 626-7044. (Copied from a form they recently sent to my wife)

If the person in that department cannot answer your specific questions, perhaps he / she can direct you to another HAL employee who can. Good luck. :)

Archived