upgrades

arlenea

my husband and i will be sailing the crown on june 20th. i noticed that there are many available cabins. we are booked in a suite,but there is a category above ours that is a larger suite. these cabins are also available. what is the best way to go about getting an upgrade from NCL?

My guess is you should use the same channel you used to book your cruise. If you used a travel agent, see what that person can do. According to other threads I've seen, sometimes they can obtain quite a reduction in the cost of the upgrade.

If you booked it yourself, just call the cruiseline (although I heard you get better deals about 2-3 weeks before the cruise).

Above all - enjoy!

Star to Alaska 6/6/04
Celebrity to Panama 4/14/05
NCL Sea Transition Cruise 10/03
NCL Norway to Caribbean 02/03
Carnival Celebration to Caribbean 05/93

Generally speaking, it's easier to get an upgrade when you are in a cheap cabin that is easier for the cruise line to sell last minute. There is little motivation for them to move you from one suite to another. It's much easier for them to offer a cheap upgrade to someone in a cheap outside stateroom and then try to sell that room last minute. Every time I've received an upgrade, I've been in a room category that was high demand (e.g. BF guarantee on the Spirit....there are only 4 of those cabins but they sell a ton of guarantees for that level). If you know how to play the upgrade game, you can do very well.

In November we were booked in a GTD mini-suite. About four weeks prior to sailing, our TA called about an upgrade to an AB suite for $500 per person. More than we wanted to spend so we passed. They called back about two weeks later with $300 per person opportunity which we accepted. No regrets that for sure! We loved the butler service & absolutely took advantage of it!!
Have fun - upgrade!

amg

Aimegromo, I think I remember reading about your suite experience in an earlier post. We were also upgraded from a mini-suite to an AD Penthouse (on the Sun), but the difference is that we had selected a particular mini-suite rather than GTD.

NCL Star - 2005
NCL Sun - 2004

Archived