Recent MENUS from the WESTERDAM Anyone?

SeaBlu

I apologize if these have already been posted, but I 'searched' and was unable to find any dinner menus for either the MDR or Pinnacle Grill. I was only able to find a breakfast menu. We will be sailing on the Westerdam in a few weeks, our first HAL cruise, and we are very curious about the menus.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.:D

Seablu: I am not going on the Westerdam for two more weeks, but recently cruisers have said the menu varies a great deal. What I remember from our last cruise on that ship are these things:

Portions are nice and small in the Main Dining room, which means 5 courses will not leave you overfull. I have enjoyed trying soups new to me, especially the cold soups like blueberry and melon which are so refreshing. There is about 4 ounces in a bowl that is perfect. I enjoy the salads, too. And appetizers are perfectly sized. I remember a scallop appetizer that was 2 beautiful scallops fixed perfectly. The main entree choices always included a fish. My OH enjoyed salmon every day. I tried everything from rack of lamb to the crew's traditional foods when offered. What I liked best is that I could get a cheese plate for dessert, as I prefer that over sweets most nights.

Try something you have never had. This was the first place I had escargots that I loved. I learned that no matter how it is fixed, I don't really care for caviar. If I see something on the menu that is a different combination for me, I try it. If you want to skip the salad and order two appetizers, you certainly can. You can have the cold soup for dessert. It is all up to you. Something you love? You can order a second one or even order it later via room service.

Here's a link to some examples of a menu on the Westerdam: http://*****************/HollandAmericaLine/MainDiningRoomMenu.aspx

If you have an interest in food and cooking, do take the kitchen tour, usually on a sea day and free and consider attending a cooking demo. Both are lots of fun.

These are from last spring on the Eurodam, so not as recent as you might like, but at least they should give you a good idea of what to expect with the 7 day Caribbean menus. There are breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night buffet menus here: http://sailing.smugmug.com/Eurodam-March2011/MenusFood/16257531_L36X27#!i=1222159530&k=cxKC7

Hope that helps!

Infi thank you VERY much for posting the menu's and the great photos. You did a wonderful job of it. I know it is a lot of work. I say I am going to do the same every cruise, but I never follow through.

We have never sailed HAL so it gives us an idea. Can anyone have lunch in the MDR on embarkation day? On Lido buffet do they have just a regular, American style sandwich bar? I don't care for a "meal" for lunch, just a good old USA style sandwich suits me.

Thank ALL of you for your assistance in information!

SeaBlu, in my limited experience of only several cruises, I will say we always enjoy lunch in the Lido on embarkation. We are too excited to sit still in the MDR and love looking out through the big glass windows. The fresh flowers, the smiling faces. we love it all.

Many threads cover the Mariner Embarkation Lunch. It is for certain levels of previous cruisers. As a relative novice, only 4 cruises, we have never been invited. But, we likely wouldn't go. We do enjoy the vibe up on the Lido as we leave.

Yes, there are sandwiches and hot entrees available on the Lido. Infi's awesome photo montage shows the menu on his first page, for embarkation lunch in the Lido. It takes several photos....there was a rueben, a panini, a thai wrap, etc. listed. Even pizza by the slice. I think you will be pleased with your options.

Infi thank you VERY much for posting the menu's and the great photos. You did a wonderful job of it. I know it is a lot of work. I say I am going to do the same every cruise, but I never follow through.

We have never sailed HAL so it gives us an idea. Can anyone have lunch in the MDR on embarkation day? On Lido buffet do they have just a regular, American style sandwich bar? I don't care for a "meal" for lunch, just a good old USA style sandwich suits me.

Thank ALL of you for your assistance in information!

SeaBlu, you're very welcome. I'm glad to hear you found them helpful.

As for lunch in the dining room on embarkation day, I have heard mixed reports. Sometimes it's by invitation only (for 3 and 4 star Mariners) and other times everyone is welcome. It just varies by sailing.

The Lido buffet has a great sandwich bar, probably the best out of all the lines I've sailed. Each day they'll have three specials on display (you can get an idea for these on the menus posted), or you can ask for a made to order sandwich with the lunchmeats, cheeses, and salads they have available. If you like sandwiches, you certainly won't go hungry on HAL.

Have a great cruise! The Westerdam was our first HAL ship also and I fell in love with HAL after that cruise.

These are from last spring on the Eurodam, so not as recent as you might like, but at least they should give you a good idea of what to expect with the 7 day Caribbean menus. There are breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night buffet menus here: http://sailing.smugmug.com/Eurodam-March2011/MenusFood/16257531_L36X27#!i=1222159530&k=cxKC7

Hope that helps!

Oh my gosh, thank you so much. We just booked our first HAL cruise and wasn't sure what to expect with the food. This really gives us lots of details. Love the photos too. I realize that the food may be different when we cruise next year, but it shows a great deal of variety and choices.

Archived