Los Angeles Pre Cruise Question - Help!

jtpost84

Hi everyone,

I will be sailing with a group on the Carnival Splendor on 7/22. We will be coming from Philadelphia the day before in the morning.

As a handful of us have not been in LA before, we were hoping to check out some of the local tourist hotspots such as the Chinese theatre and Universal Studios. As these places are relatively close to each other, we are trying to figure out a place to stay. Some things to take into consideration:

1) Want to be relatively close to these places

2) Don't want to be in a location that is going to make getting to the cruise port a HUGE pain the next day

3) Don't want to be in a bad area/the hood.

4) Looking for a decent hotel. Not too expensive/but also not super cheap

Any suggestions that you have would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I will be sailing with a group on the Carnival Splendor on 7/22. We will be coming from Philadelphia the day before in the morning.

As a handful of us have not been in LA before, we were hoping to check out some of the local tourist hotspots such as the Chinese theatre and Universal Studios. As these places are relatively close to each other, we are trying to figure out a place to stay. Some things to take into consideration:

1) Want to be relatively close to these places

2) Don't want to be in a location that is going to make getting to the cruise port a HUGE pain the next day

3) Don't want to be in a bad area/the hood.

4) Looking for a decent hotel. Not too expensive/but also not super cheap

Any suggestions that you have would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Assuming you are flying into LAX...

Hollywood is about 20 miles NORTH of LAX...

Universal Studios is about 4-5 miles north of Hollywood...

The Carnival Terminal in Long Beach is about 32 miles South of Hollywood...

I will assume you want to stay in Hollywood/Universal area and head to the ship the following day...and that you do not want to rent a car...

Most likely, you will need to take a taxi or shuttle from LAX to your Hollywood area hotel and a taxi or shuttle from there to the ship the next morning...

A shared shuttle LAX to, say, Hollywood and Highland will cost approximately $32 for two people...From Hollywood to the pier, approximately $60 (not much more for a private towncar...maybe $75)...

In Hollywood, there are not that many places I would stay...

Best hotel, IMHO, for locations, convenience, quality of hotel, etc. is the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland...Other choice in Hollywood proper would be the Roosevelt--Hollywood's stately old "grande dame"...

http://renaissancehollywood.com/hotel.asp

http://www.thompsonhotels.com/hotels/la/hollywood-roosevelt

For a little cheaper in Hollywood, you could go with the Magic Castle...

http://magiccastlehotel.com/

Most of the rest of Hollywood you may want to avoid...Hollywood tends to be a little run down and has some "interesting" characters wandering about...

Universal City has some options...there are a Sheraton and a Hilton right on the Universal property...both are nice and fairly convenient--especially if you want to spend some time at the Studios or at the Citywalk...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=83

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BURUCHF-Hilton-Los-Angeles-Universal-City-California/index.do

Cheaper, but less convenient, are the Beverly Garland and the Sportsmen's Lodge--both near, but not right at Universal...

http://www.beverlygarland.com/index.php

http://www.slhotel.com/

Again, I would not stray much from these recommendations...

To get between Hollywood and Universal City, you can use the Metro...or purchase tickets for the HOHO bus tour--which will also take you all over LA...

http://www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-HOHO.asp

The morning of the cruise, make sure you leave yourself a good hour plus...maybe even two to be safe, to get to the pier in Long Beach...

BTW, lots of restaurants right in the Hollywood and Highland complex with the Renaissance...and also at Citywalk in Universal...I also like Miceli's on Cahuenga near Universal....

http://www.micelisrestaurant.com/

Thank you for responding with all of this information - definitely helpful! If we were to stay at Universal, how long would you think it would take us to get to the cruise port in Long Beach on Sunday (taking into account traffic)?

Thanks again!

Sunday mornings are my favorite time and day to travel around LA, as it should take you exactly the correct amount of time to get from one place to another. That is barring any accident, which can happen and you have no control over. But, to get to Long Beach, from the Universal/Hollywood area, I'd say it would take approximately 30-45 min max to get to the port. 101 freeway merge to the 5 south, and then the 710 to the pier.

Have fun!!!

Denice

an FYI, I know for certain that the Beverly Garland offers free transfers to Universal and the metro station. Highly recommend that hotel!

Sunday mornings are my favorite time and day to travel around LA, as it should take you exactly the correct amount of time to get from one place to another. That is barring any accident, which can happen and you have no control over. But, to get to Long Beach, from the Universal/Hollywood area, I'd say it would take approximately 30-45 min max to get to the port. 101 freeway merge to the 5 south, and then the 710 to the pier.

Have fun!!!

Denice

an FYI, I know for certain that the Beverly Garland offers free transfers to Universal and the metro station. Highly recommend that hotel!

Thanks Denise - definitely good to know that traffic should be a little lighter on Sunday

Yes, the actual driving time on a Sunday morning should be under 45 minutes...but the reason I would make sure to leave 1 to 2 hours is that:

1) There could always, even on Sunday morning, be some unexpected traffic somewhere--an accident, construction, etc.

2) There will be some logistical time involved--loading and unloading your luggage, paying your taxi driver, etc. If you use a shared shuttle, there may be other stops--which also may eat up considerable time. If you use a shuttle company, you let them know what time you wish to arrive at the pier and they will give you a pick-up time.

Your ship is supposed to set sail at 4:30 pm--which means they will likely require you to be on board by 3:00 pm...but they will probably start boarding at 11:30 am or so...If it were me, I'd probably have a taxi or car service come pick me up at 10:30...and plan on eating lunch on board and relaxing for the afternoon...

But, if you want a little more time in the Hollywood area, I would still plan on leaving no later than 1:00 pm, just to be on the safe side...

And speaking to the construction issue, the 405 freeway is undergoing much construction. And at times, (last summer in mid-July, this last weekend) has been closed down or some lanes closed on the weekend. So don't assume just because you're traveling in LA on a weekend day that there won't be traffic.

I have taken the Splendor from the Carnival Long Beach Terminal. You will wait outside (Rain or Shine...Hot or Cold). To be honest, it is the most pitiful terminal to cruise out of.:eek: They set you up in a line to process you so you can get into another of as many as 15 lines to board, one line at a time. We got at the terminal at 1030 and were in line two. We got on the ship at 1215. It took forever to get all the numbered lines on board. You need to look at getting to the terminal around 10-1030. Oh, they will tell you or your agent not to get at the terminal untill 2 O'clock.:rolleyes: Don't believe that.

COP

One thing to keep in mind (as a native Southern Californian - was born/raised in Orange County, attended college/lived in Los Angeles as an adult, etc) is Los Angeles is SO spread out, with lots of traffic, and there's no place that is close to everything.

Universal Studios is a *big* theme park day. Frankly, I think it would be a bit much to fly in, get through the airport rigmarole, go to Universal the same day and do that, but that's just my opinion. You may have different priorities.

My suggestion would be to go straight to Long Beach and get a hotel. Get settled and relax. Go visit the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach (and I know there are aquariums everywhere, but the LB Aquarium is really nice, and focuses its exhibits *solely* on sealife native to the Pacific Ocean. Most aquariums you have likely seen as an east-coaster focus on the Atlantic/tropical stuff.) There's also the Long Beach Museum of Art which is nice, the beach itself, and plenty of artsy things going on and decent places to eat. Another option is the Queen Mary, which is fun too and right in Long Beach.

I would save serious Los Angeles sightseeing for a time when you can dedicate more time to it, and certainly aren't trying to squeeze it in to your flight day. The SoCal theme park attractions are usually best seen when you can get there at opening. And if you get a hotel in Long Beach, on your cruise day you can have a more leisurely morning rather than stressing if you run late get caught up in some sort of SoCal traffic nightmare. Los Angeles is probably the LEAST conducive city for just charging in and doing condensed sightseeing. I would think of this as an opportunity to see some things in Long Beach, not Los Angeles. Just my two cents. Have a great trip!

Archived