Cheap Close Place to Port/Town to Enjoy Drinks and Snorkeling!

Lady Anna & Sir Troy

First I will admit that I’ve stayed on Cozumel and visited the island many times. So I’ve done quite a bit over the years. One of the things I’ve learned is that the fish do move from time to time. We used to love Chakanaab until the hurricane a few years ago, but since have moved to a spot that is even better and a LOT less money. It is at the restaurant of La Cuchina (spelling?), next to Papa Hogs, and across from the Villablanca Hotel. It is a short walk from town or the cruise ship piers (1/2 way in between). We took a taxi there for $7 (should have been $5), and walked back in 10 minutes.

This restaurant has plenty of tables, a hammock, massage area, and 8 lounge chairs with umbrellas right by the water. They also have a freshwater shower and small fresh water pool area for rinsing off yourself or equipment, and nice bathroom areas. The chairs/loungers are free with purchase of a drink. Our group bought 5 dos equis beers for $10, and delicious large margaritas for $3 (bogo free for $6). There is a pier/dock that goes out about 40 feet, and step right at the shore for you to get in easily. The snorkeling is incredible here! You can see eels, many beautiful colored large fish, all right near the shore and around the dock. If you venture out another 30 – 40 feet west from the dock you will see several different wrecks which have hundreds of fish! It is like swimming in a well stocked aquarium. Best of all – this snorkeling is free if you bring your own equipment, or $9 for a snorkel mask, snorkel, vest, and fins.

This is truly the perfect place for a small group of 4 – 6 people (if you want to lounge) or 10+ if you don’t mind sitting, to just hang out, take in the view, snorkel, drink, eat, etc. I have been there a half dozen times and it NEVER gets crowded, even when the catamaran stops for 20 minutes – somehow this place absorbs the 30 people up and down stairs and off they go again. I also paid cash for a private massage for $40 and it was very nice and relaxing.

So if you are coming by ship, just grab a taxi and ask to be dropped off at the restaurant next to Papa Hog’s across from the Villablanca Hotel, and you will be brought right there.

Will post some pics soon.

Enjoy!!

P.S. Bring a water camera!

First I will admit that I’ve stayed on Cozumel and visited the island many times. So I’ve done quite a bit over the years. One of the things I’ve learned is that the fish do move from time to time. We used to love Chakanaab until the hurricane a few years ago, but since have moved to a spot that is even better and a LOT less money. It is at the restaurant of La Cuchina (spelling?), next to Papa Hogs, and across from the Villablanca Hotel. It is a short walk from town or the cruise ship piers (1/2 way in between). We took a taxi there for $7 (should have been $5), and walked back in 10 minutes.

This restaurant has plenty of tables, a hammock, massage area, and 8 lounge chairs with umbrellas right by the water. They also have a freshwater shower and small fresh water pool area for rinsing off yourself or equipment, and nice bathroom areas. The chairs/loungers are free with purchase of a drink. Our group bought 5 dos equis beers for $10, and delicious large margaritas for $3 (bogo free for $6). There is a pier/dock that goes out about 40 feet, and step right at the shore for you to get in easily. The snorkeling is incredible here! You can see eels, many beautiful colored large fish, all right near the shore and around the dock. If you venture out another 30 – 40 feet west from the dock you will see several different wrecks which have hundreds of fish! It is like swimming in a well stocked aquarium. Best of all – this snorkeling is free if you bring your own equipment, or $9 for a snorkel mask, snorkel, vest, and fins.

This is truly the perfect place for a small group of 4 – 6 people (if you want to lounge) or 10+ if you don’t mind sitting, to just hang out, take in the view, snorkel, drink, eat, etc. I have been there a half dozen times and it NEVER gets crowded, even when the catamaran stops for 20 minutes – somehow this place absorbs the 30 people up and down stairs and off they go again. I also paid cash for a private massage for $40 and it was very nice and relaxing.

So if you are coming by ship, just grab a taxi and ask to be dropped off at the restaurant next to Papa Hog’s across from the Villablanca Hotel, and you will be brought right there.

Will post some pics soon.

Enjoy!!

P.S. Bring a water camera!

I heard the water there is pretty deep right from shore and the currant can get pretty rough, Did you experience this? Would the name of the beach/resturant been Sunset Beach? TIA

Archived