Weight Loss Plateau

Help! I have been steadily losing weight over the last 18 months, over 30 pounds. However, I have reached a plateau and cannot seem to get over this hump. I do low to moderate carb in an effort to keep my blood sugar in control; I am a Type 2 diabetic.

Does anyone have any suggestions for jump starting my weight loss. I am thinking I have reached my limit and will have to cut carbs, calories and increase activity. I like my daily routine, but maybe that is the problem, I am in a rut.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello, first - congrats on the success so far! That is a nice steady rate, but I'm no doctor and don't know much about diabetes dietary restrictions. I can be a heck of a cheerleader though! Can you share a little more info:

Where you are now, and what is your goal?

How old are you, what is your current program? Daily calorie intake, daily exercise, do you work, - stuff like that.

From that, I can give suggestions that worked for me, tools to stay on track, etc.

Hi Shootr-

I am 65, weigh currently 188 and would like to see 140. I recognized that may be unrealistic. I am 5' 4".

I am retired.

I don't really count calories but probably eat around 1800 ton 2000 per day. I try to keep my carb intake to 100 or less. I eat protein at every meal, 2 servings of fruit per day, 2 servings of veggies per day and 3 servings of whole grain breads. I am actually thinking of cutting the breads. I snack on almonds and other nuts.

My exercise is going to Curves 5 to 6 times a week. I try to take walks on the days I don't make it to Curves.

As I look at this info, I think I probably have to reduce calories and/or increase exercise.

Thanks for responding.

Well, my 49 (and counting) wife is 120 / 5'2" and Mom is 70 something and 145 / 5'6", so I think your goal is pretty viable.

I've been a vocal endorser of a free computer/app called My Fitness Pal. It lets me track everything I eat, exercise, and measurements. An accurate daily diary is crucial to making progress. You would be amazed how a bit of this and a handful of that adds up to blow your daily calorie budget.

I'm 6'0" 200lb male. I dropped 40 pounds in 4 months with fanatical calorie and exercise tracking. Not bragging, and not suggesting it as a program, it's just how it worked out. But following the data I was getting from the program, I was able to stay on track and attain my goal.

There is no sugar coating it: losing weight is a process that just plain sucks. If you let it. I think to get off your plateau and back on the downhill tract, you need to try to keep your daily ACTUAL calorie intake to 1600-1700 calories. That reduction, combined with what looks like your already great exercise program, should get things going.

You need to maintain a balance of fat, carbs, and protein in your diet. Reduce one too much and the body just fights it, they all have a purpose, it's the ratio and amounts that need to be controlled. If you find your current foods are conspiring to blow the calorie limit, look for other items. I replaced snacking on nuts with Cheerios or V8 juice. I get my protein from eggs and chicken/fish.

Muscle burns fat, not just cardio. When you're at the gym, strive to add a few extra lbs. to the weights. You're bodybuilding, but not the killing yourself type (unless you want too!), just stressing your muscles enough to encourage them to grow a little stronger. The eventual added muscle works to burn fat when you aren't exercising. Do you have a heart rate monitor? Knowing you are doing cardio at 140bpm vs 120 bpm makes a big difference in the results you gain from it. I do a set amount of time at least 4 times a week, then throw in some leisurely dog walking or spouse walking to add a little on top.

Try not to eat a lot within a few hours of bedtime, but don't be afraid to have something before bed. Maybe a glass of V8 or a couple rice cakes. It gives your body something to work on while you sleep, and you won't wake up famished. I'm big on the V8 because I don't eat veggies, but it also effectively kills my hunger pangs and are good type calories to ingest anytime. If you can only exercise once a day, try for the morning. It kick starts your metabolism and helps it stay up all day long.

Take things a week at a time. Weighing every day will only make things frustrating. Plan ahead. If an event is coming that will push you over your daily allowance, eat a little less each day to make up for it. Count calories daily, but towards a weekly set total. That way you can accommodate a 2000 calorie day by eating 100 less for a few days.

You've made steady, sane progress. You're willing to go further. If you did 1600 calories a day plus your exercise, you should lose 40 lbs in a year. 2 and a half bowling balls you wouldn't be carrying around anymore. That will be cool.

Hang tough, be resolute, make it a mission. It will be worth it. Hope to hear progress reports, questions, suggestions for you in the future.

Archived