Sudden thoughts? (a strange question I know!)

Can you imagine if the media reported every murder, rape, stolen car, theft, car accident, etc...everywhere? We'd never leave our homes...except you have to remember there are sometimes home invasion robberies... My point is that the cruise industry is unfairly treated by the media, the reporting of cruise lines/ships can be innacurate and irresponsible.

I think the media already does this, or close to it. I never watch local news because of this.

I have a friend who has never cruised, but her mother calls her up on the phone anytime there is bad news about a cruise. I guess her mother really, really doesn't want her to go.

I go more by statistics, too: my own and the industry's.

As mentioned above, cruising is a lot safer than other forms of transportation.

Personally, I've got 39 years with RCCL and never a problem. I've had almost 4 decades to observe their staff and policies. I really feel good about them.

However, after Concordia we are now packing a "ditch bag" with 3 days of meds, windbreaker jackets, a flashlight, and energy bars. We are also putting all our important stuff in a single ziplock bag in the safe that can be grabbed and put in the ditch bag. I won't hesitate to keep cruising, but I can be better prepared than in the past.

:) good tip thanks. :)

I think the media already does this, or close to it. I never watch local news because of this.

I have a friend who has never cruised, but her mother calls her up on the phone anytime there is bad news about a cruise. I guess her mother really, really doesn't want her to go.

Ditto, it's become unwatchable!

I have a family member like this. She called begging us not to get off the ship in Cozumel and Costa Maya, after hearing there was a travel advisory in the Mexican Riviera. I had to tell her that's like not going to Martha's Vineyard because there are gangs in LA: But she watches and gets herself all worked up, especially if I am taking the grand " children". ( now teens).

Thanks so much! I'm so grateful for all your replies!!! some great comments and a real eye opener re watching the news .....my dad watches it constantly and I guess what you feed yourself with comes out! Interestingly I called my mom and told her I d started the thread and relayed quite a few of your comments....she laughed at the funny ones but we were also able to discuss the others in a way that previously we hadn't been able to. The upside was that I said if they didn't want to accompany us then that was fine as we respect their feelings on the matter and hey presto shortly afterwards they phoned and said they could not bear not to come as they didn't want to miss out !!! So thank you CC ers for all your input and helping a family take a step nearer to booking their next cruise !!!Yaaaay!!!!!

We have never had any fearful thoughts. However, after all the recent incidents we did add a flashlight to our packing list.

Then on our cruise last month there was an announcement one afternoon of fire onboard .. all first responders report to front of deck six. Now that got our hearts a pumping. Fortunately 2 minutes later they came on and told us it was a small fire and had been completely extinguished.

Archived