4X4 Jeep Tour

klsmom8

Just wondering if anyone has done the 4X4 Jeep Off Road exursion in Costa Maya. Have heard that the Dunne Buggy excursion if stick shift driving (neither my DH nor I know how to drive a stick). Would like to hear good and bad reports on either excursion.

• 2 months later...

Did the 4x4 Jeep excursion on our June Cruise. The Jeeps are stick shift, and in good repair. Being from Michigan and doing some off roading in the past, I would have to say that the Off Road part was relatively tame, some of the roads went through some pretty poor areas of Costa Maya. The beach part of the tour was good. The bar-b-que was simple and delicious. The swimming area was small with weedy areas keeping you from going out further, The beach itself was spotless with chairs and hammocks available with plenty of shade. All in all, it was a relaxing day at the beach.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We were just in Costa Maya last week on the Rhapsody and did the 4X4 Jeep Tour. The BBQ lunch started with chips and two types salsa and then a few minutes later they served two types of Tacos. They were pretty tasty but not hot or overly spicy. This included soft drinks. The people were pretty freindly and tried to do the best they could. Remember, they are just starting out and in the grand scheme of things so you may find it less than you have found in other areas. The Jeeps were in good working order and were stick shift. At no time did we need to transfer to 4wd although it was bumpy in spots. There is no radio so if you have passengers who need music they will need to bring their own (or sing themselves).

In addition, the shopping is pretty good and you can barter freely with the merchants.

I would go back in a heartbeat. Have fun!!

From what I have read, it's 4 to a jeep - but it doesn't indicate adults/children. According to the RCI brochure, it's $92 per person (same price for children).

I know it's a little pricey. But, it starts at 2pm and is 3 1/2 hrs long, which means we aren't getting back to the ship until around 5:30 (if we are on time). We are schedule to leave Costa Maya at 6pm. That's cutting it very close. If I decide to do this excursion, I would not want to take any changes booking with an outside vendor. What if we don't make it back to the ship in time??? I'll be on the Costa Maya shore waiving to my kids in the kid's club as they sail away :eek:- no thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well, we bit the bullet and did the 4x4 jeep excursion. We waited until we were on the ship to book it (did it the day before). When we checked with the Shore Excursion desk, they told us it departed at 11am. So we decided to go for it, even though it was pricey.

The weather was crummy that day, overcast and in-between rain, but we had fun nonetheless. While it is true that it is not truly "4x4" it's still fun.

The first stop is in Mahahaul for a stop at the "Pee Pee station". What an eye opener this town is. It is so poor - it's very very sad. It really makes you see your life in a different perspective. But, the beach is gorgeous! I would have loved to spend more time there. Just be aware that the street peddlers will follow you around to try to get yo to buy their stuff. It's mostly mothers and their young daughters trying to sell bracelets and things. The bracelets are only $1 US and once you buy something, they leave you alone. They're just trying to earn some $$.

After that it's a long road to Lost Beach (they call it that now because it reminds them of the beach on Lost). A lot of highway driving (not like the US highways) and then onto a VERY bumpy, sandy/muddy, pot-hole filled road (this would be the 4x4 part). Once you get to the beach, they stop you for a picture (of course to buy at the end) and they feed you homemade nachos, salsa & guacamole (beware of the very red salsa - super HOT, but super good!), and homemade Mexican tacos - beef or chicken - all you can eat. It's not Taco Bell, so don't expect that kind of taco. They are soft shelled and there's no lettuce, tomato, or sour cream. They are really good. Of course there's soft drinks and bottled water too. You get about 90 minutes there and then it's back to the pier. More highways this time, less "4x4'ing".

Overall, we had a lot of fun. This was an excursion that the boys wanted to do (DH and dad), but the girls enjoyed it also.

Archived