14 day cruise to S America -- What mix of ages/people would you anticipate?

ALadyNCal

We have done two 10-day Caribbean cruises, but I think this cruise may be somewhat different. It is South America, 14 days, and in February.

I read one review from a couple years back and they did indicate that only about 40% of the passengers were American, but nothing about ages. They also had a lot of kids because it was a holiday cruise.

I am surprised that this cruise (Infinity 2/13/05) is already sold out and waitlisted in most categories -- which must mean it's relatively popular (or scarce).

I told my husband I anticipate a lot of seniors on the cruise because of the 14 day itinerary (which is fine). I also think it will be very interesting to have a good mix of people (ie. Europeans and South Americans).

What do others think? Or what have you experienced on similar cruises?

[I]Celebrity Infinity 02/2005!;
NCL Sun 02/2003; Celebrity Millennium 05/2002; Ocean Princess 10/2001; Ocean Princess 8/2001; NCL Sea 7/2000; Ocean Princess 3/2000; Celebrity Mercury 10/1998; Star Princess 3/1996; NCL Dream 8/1995; Azure Seas 2/1991 [/I]

I think they longer the cruise, the longer the tooth so to speak! But who cares? It sounds marvelous and I would go with the devil himself!
Cruises are generally what you make of them anyway and trust me, I could make a terrific time out of 14 days in South America!

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

We went on the cruise for Carnival in Rio two years ago (Mercury). Since this is a holiday atmosphere in SA, there were many people from SA on the ship, along with children and other family members.

On our SA cruise this past Feb. on the Infinity (the cruise after Carnival in Rio), there were also a lot of people from SA, Germany, France, Italy. Announcements, when made, were in those languages as well as English. Age wise, a mixture, but mostly over 50 ish.

Grace

South American cruises, especially those around Cape Horn, are very "in" and extremely popular now; hence the "sell out' of many cruises. Age-wise, in the past many would have been seniors;today, however, many travelers will save up leave for a cruise like this and you will likely have a broader range of ages. But these tend to be pricey cruises, which weeds out many younger cruisers.

We too are booked on 2/13/05 SA cruise and I was quite surprised to see that it sold so quickly. We booked the cruise in October 03 because we wanted a CC aft cabin. I've been looking forward to this cruise.

I've been trying to find out if Celebrity has a pre-cruise package to Iguassu but have been told they won't make a decision to August on their pre-cruise packages. Does anyone know if they will offer this package?

Many thanks.

We were cruisemates with Grace and as she points out the passenger demographics for this cruise is broader in scope than the Island cruises. We shared our dinner table with a couple from the UK and a mother and daughter from Mexico. A British 6-some, a South American couple, and a German 4-some sat at tables next to us. There were not many children or teenagers aboard and those who were seemed to come from South America.

AladyNCal,
We are also booked on the cruise and am not able to even get my cabin no. All we know is that it will be an A-1 cabin. Since this cruise starts in Buenos Aires that there will probably be a lot of South Americans on the trip. There is an on-going thread on Roll Call on this trip and you might want to become a part of the thread. We just got off the Infinity on the trip from Valparaiso to Ft. Lauderdale and was a geat trip even with the Pod problem that has since been fixed. Have a good week-end.
Don

We went on a 17 night Celebrity cruise in March a couple years ago. We saw lots of grey hair and bald men. We had a great time. My Mom is a senior and I am no "spring chicken" in my forties. There were a few younger folks as well. But I think it is harder for young families to get that much time off.
There were a lot of S. Americans on the cruise and a lot from England and France.

Cruises are frequently listed as "sold out" far in advance due to large blocks of cabins on hold by travel agencies. There are also individuals who hope to go and place a reservation, then cancel when final payment is due. You will probably find cabins available as it get closer to departure. Sounds like a great cruise - ENJOY!

Fran

We are booked on the January 17th sailing from Valpariso to Buenos Aires. This was our second choice because the February Sailing from Buenos Aires to Valpariso was sold out. Anyway, I am curious to get any information about this cruise from others who have done it. We are planning to be in Santiago two days pre-cruise. Any hotel or tour information would be appreciated.
Vicki

ACJV

ACJV -- On the South America board, there is some information on pre and post cruise things, as well as tour guides and hotel recommendations.

[I]Celebrity Infinity 02/2005!; NCL Sun 02/2003; Celebrity Millennium 05/2002; Ocean Princess 10/2001; Ocean Princess 8/2001; NCL Sea 7/2000; Ocean Princess 3/2000; Celebrity Mercury 10/1998; Star Princess 3/1996; NCL Dream 8/1995; Azure Seas 2/1991 [/I]

ACJV,

Two full days on the ground in Santiago will be enough. The city is easy and inexpensive to get around in. You can do the highlights and most import stuff in one day. That leaves a 2nd day open for a wine tour...you can buy you wine for the cruise. Check out the South American board for more details on hotels.

If you want to read my review of our cruise from Valparaiso to San Diego, 17 nighter.
[url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=750"]http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=750[/url]

We did the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise on Infinity this past February. It was a wonderful cruise. We stayed at the Sheraton Critobal Towers in Santiago and thought it was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. We booked it on our own and got a rate of $134 per room per night. I think this is about what those that booked through the cruise line pre package paid per person per night for the other side of the hotel which was nice, but not as nice as the Critobal Tower. I would highly recommend this hotel.

A group of us met online through cruise critic and used Port Compass for tours and transportation from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, and for a tour and ship to airport in Buenos Aires. Port Compass did a 5 hour private tour for us from the ship to the airport in Buenos Aires on the last day. They have a 3 hour on their schedule, but added 2 hours at our request. We were the only 2 in a 10 passenger Mercedes van with a driver and very knowledgable guide that spoke excellent English. He said he learned English by watching American movies as a child.

The Port Compass penguin tour in Porto Tombo was the best. They get you there before the tour busses are kicking up dirt. It is a 2 1/2 hour really rough, dusty drive. But worth it. You can view my photos at [url="http://community.webshots.com/user/nydee38"]http://community.webshots.com/user/nydee38[/url]. I took over 600 photos and have posted 100. Still have to post those of Buenos Aires.

The average age of the passengers seemed to me to be between 60 and 70. But there were younger and older. In our CC group we had a 4 year old child and and 83 year old woman in our CC group. We also had a variety of cultures on the cruise. We had several French, German, Hispanic, Japanese and Greek tour groups. We heard a variety of languages. However, we did not observe "unacceptable" behaviors so many posters have written of about ages and cultures. The only negative experience I had was a gray haired lady behind me in at the breakfast buffet said, "Excuse me, excuse me." I said, "Excuse you for what?" She said, "I want to get there." To which I replied, "I am here right now, and when I leave you can get here." Not bad for the only negative experience.

The people of South America were really great. You have to watch in the big cities like any others in the world. We had a pick-pocket following us in Buenos Aires which my husband didn't notice. When I place my hand on his belt above his back pocket, he walked away. One of our group had the Rolex taken off his wrist in Buenos Aires. He said he admired the man's ability to get it off and gone before he could do anything.

There is so much more I could say, but this should give you some basics.

Dee

Archived