Scubagirrl: 9 h in Nassau, walking, mobility issues

lotusbogardi

Scubagirrl,

Hubby and I are scheduled for 11h in Nassau (11a - 10p) on May 31. I figure we won't be off the ship till noon, and I'd like to be back by 9 at the latest (but probably closer to 7). I would like to do the walking tour, but due to chronic sciatica, I don't think I can do the Queen's Staircase. I'm trying to map a route that will allow us to do the following things:

I do want to see the Queen's Staircase. Can I just stand at the top, look down, and go "Wow, that's pretty"? and then go to Fort Fincastle? I'd like to do something similar with the water tower. I want to look at it, but not go in/walk up. I'd also like to go to St. Francis', the Pirate Museum, the Straw Market, Someplace to get conch fritters, a free beach and Ardastra Gardens.

Edited to add: I'd also like to bring some school supplies for the Ranfurly Home on Mackey street.

It doesn't look like the island is very hilly, and I will have my walking stick with me if I need it (It unscrews and fits into a pouch). I just don't want to inadvertently end up in an unsafe area. Is that too much to cram into 7-9 hours?

Scubagirrl,

Hubby and I are scheduled for 11h in Nassau (11a - 10p) on May 31. I figure we won't be off the ship till noon, and I'd like to be back by 9 at the latest (but probably closer to 7). I would like to do the walking tour, but due to chronic sciatica, I don't think I can do the Queen's Staircase. I'm trying to map a route that will allow us to do the following things:

I do want to see the Queen's Staircase. Can I just stand at the top, look down, and go "Wow, that's pretty"? and then go to Fort Fincastle? I'd like to do something similar with the water tower. I want to look at it, but not go in/walk up. I'd also like to go to St. Francis', the Pirate Museum, the Straw Market, Someplace to get conch fritters, a free beach and Ardastra Gardens.

Edited to add: I'd also like to bring some school supplies for the Ranfurly Home on Mackey street.

It doesn't look like the island is very hilly, and I will have my walking stick with me if I need it (It unscrews and fits into a pouch). I just don't want to inadvertently end up in an unsafe area. Is that too much to cram into 7-9 hours?

Actually, with the exception of Bay Street, the downtown area IS very hilly.

You might want to get a cab to the top (queens staircase and Fort) then work you're way back.

Keep in mind that everything close around 5pm.. so fitting everything in may be a task.

The water tower is closed, you can't go in it.. so that' one less issue.

You might consider a mini tour from one of the taxi vendors. They should be able to let you in and out as you see fit. (for a price, of course).

For someone with a mobility issue. Queens staircase is quite a hike from the Ardastra Zoo/ Fish Fry. It's a couple of miles - all tolled.

As for the school.. you should make arrangement ahead of time and see what they need. Most schools don't need notebooks and pencils etc.. Children have all the essentials that school kids in the states have.

A donation towards computers, library books etc might be a better fit.

Contact them before you come. (btw.. mackey street is in the opposite direction of where you are thinking of touring.).

Unfortunately, I never know what kind of day I am going to have until I get into it. Some days I can walk 5 miles. Some days, I can't make 5 blocks.

The School's website lists some supplies they're requesting.

I definitely want to see the gardens and the downtown area. It looks like I will be using local cabs and/or the jitney.

Scubagirrl,

Thank you for your input. I realize now that I was trying to cram in too much at one time. I guess some things will have to be saved for our next cruise. What we have decided to do is take a cab from the port to the Ranfurley Home, and then ask the cabbie to take us to Ardastra Garden. From there, we can make our way back to the dock, and I believe see Junkanoo Beach (we won't be there very long. I love the beach, but hubby turns into a lobster), the Pirate Museum, and the Straw market. If my sciatica starts up, we can catch the #10 jitney.

Does that sound more workable?

Scubagirrl,

Thank you for your input. I realize now that I was trying to cram in too much at one time. I guess some things will have to be saved for our next cruise. What we have decided to do is take a cab from the port to the Ranfurley Home, and then ask the cabbie to take us to Ardastra Garden. From there, we can make our way back to the dock, and I believe see Junkanoo Beach (we won't be there very long. I love the beach, but hubby turns into a lobster), the Pirate Museum, and the Straw market. If my sciatica starts up, we can catch the #10 jitney.

Does that sound more workable?

Yup,

Maybe the cabbie can take you to the queens staircase on the way to ardastra Gardens.. it shouldn't be out of the way.

Archived