Someone correct my thinking...

hannahsmomtoo

We embark on my birthday and I was thinking that would be a nice night for us to try out the steakhouse.

However, part of me feels like we should be in the MDR on the first night.. check in.. make an appearance..

Is that nuts? I mean it's not like a roll call.. they don't care where we eat..

HA! "thinking" .. I will edit... sorry !

ah! no restrictions when you eat there, but we just happen to like to meet our waiters and tablemates that first night.

but you do, or should, get free wine that first night as an incentive.

personally, i wish more people would visit the steakhouse on the nights we go. it's always dead, and boring. we are, however, early eaters.

ah! no restrictions when you eat there, but we just happen to like to meet our waiters and tablemates that first night.

but you do, or should, get free wine that first night as an incentive.

personally, i wish more people would visit the steakhouse on the nights we go. it's always dead, and boring. we are, however, early eaters.

We are doing anytime dining... so I don't think we will have tablemates ( atleast not set in stone )

Day 2 is elegant night... I guess we could go to the steakhouse THEN.. after the photos..

I tend to overthink... :rolleyes:

You have no obligation to anyone on the cruise, tablemates or waiters. If you can swing the steakhouse, do it and enjoy. Celebrate your B-Day.

We ended up using the MDR only 4 times last cruise, 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners, and never told them when we were not arriving the other times. As far as tablemates, we don't sit with any ever, so it is a mute point with us.

Again, have a Happy B-Day

You have no obligation to anyone on the cruise, tablemates or waiters. If you can swing the steakhouse, do it and enjoy. Celebrate your B-Day.

We ended up using the MDR only 4 times last cruise, 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners, and never told them when we were not arriving the other times. As far as tablemates, we don't sit with any ever, so it is a mute point with us.

Again, have a Happy B-Day

Thank you :)

If you are early dining, then go to MDR and meet your tablemates - order an appetizer or salad or light soup. No one has to know why you are leaving. Go to Steak house at 7 or 8.

Or if you are late dining do reverse.

Do you have an assigned time? If so, (and you reeeally care) maybe you want to show your face to meet your tablemates and waiter for the next few days. If you have Anytime Dining (which we prefer), it won't make a difference.

The biggest drawback about doing the Steakhouse on day 1 is that it will set the bar high from the beginning, so you may not enjoy what you'll eat at the MDR or at the buffet as much as if you wait until later in the cruise to do the Steakhouse. We always do the Steakhouse on the second formal night (night 6).

Believe me, the flat iron steak at the MDR is pretty decent if you eat it BEFORE you go to the Steakhouse, but if you have it AFTER going to the Steakhouse, it tastes like dried out rubber...

We are doing anytime dining... so I don't think we will have tablemates ( atleast not set in stone )

Day 2 is elegant night... I guess we could go to the steakhouse THEN.. after the photos..

If you're doing Anytime Dining I don't think it's a big deal to miss the first night in the MDR. We went to the steakhouse the first night on our cruise last night and loved it. And the next night when we went to MDR we fit right in with our tablemates and serving staff. First night at steakhouse is worth it, free bottle of wine and it was dead in there! The rest of the week was fully booked and people couldn't get reservations.

then it certainly won't matter.\\

//enjoy!

It's your b-day, so do what ever you want to do.

You said you have anytime dining, so you won't have anyone waiting for you to show up the first night, and you might get more than one waiter w/ anytime dining (from what I've read here in CC), so there's no real need to meet your server. Also, the steakhouse does give out that bottle of wine on the embarktion day, so that could be an incentive, as well as a nice little birthday present. What ever you choose, bon appitit!

MDR is quite casual on sail dates. Many wear shorts and jeans and that is always acceptable on the first night...I choose to take advantage of that casualness...so it may depend on if you feel the same way and if you have received your bags in your stateroom yet.

We embark on my birthday and I was thinking that would be a nice night for us to try out the steakhouse.

However, part of me feels like we should be in the MDR on the first night.. check in.. make an appearance..

Is that nuts? I mean it's not like a roll call.. they don't care where we eat..

Another factor is that they often include a bottle of wine with first night steakhouse reservations.....

We have Anytime Dining and we are hitting the Steakhouse the first night.. its our 20 anniversary cruise and we'll start it off with a nice dinner with the family.

Then during the week we may hit the anytime or we may just hang poolside for less crowds and eat burgers....

Gonna be a slow paced week....

instead of the normal rush..go down to the room 1.5 hours before dinner to get the girls ready....they'll be none of that this time.. we may get dressed for pics..but that's it.

We're gonna be on Island time....

We have tried once or twice to book the steak house for the first night and were told that the first night sometimes there are not enough passengers that make a reservation so it does not open. Unfortunatly we were celebrating our anniversary on the first night of the second week of a B2B and we couldn't go to the seakhouse because it was not open.

I think it depends on what your looking for on your birthday.

I personally love the Steak house on the first night. It's not as dressy as the other nights so we usually just wear khakis and nice shirts. Free wine is nice and most of all it's not as crowded, we have found that we get really good service when there isn't as many people around.

The nice thing is, if you want to get all dressed up you can do that too, and would not feel a bit out of place.

I think it's a win/win, but then that's JMO

Have a wonderful birthday!!!

Carole

I think it depends on what your looking for on your birthday.

I personally love the Steak house on the first night. It's not as dressy as the other nights so we usually just wear khakis and nice shirts. Free wine is nice and most of all it's not as crowded, we have found that we get really good service when there isn't as many people around.

The nice thing is, if you want to get all dressed up you can do that too, and would not feel a bit out of place.

I think it's a win/win, but then that's JMO

Have a wonderful birthday!!!

Carole

Thank you !!!!!:D

We had ATD on the Dream over Thanksgiving and went to the steakhouse the first night. It was 7:30 and there were only two other parties dining. The service and food were impeccable. I think the first night is the perfect time to go for specialty dining, especially if you have ATD. Have a great cruise and birthday!

If you are early dining, then go to MDR and meet your tablemates - order an appetizer or salad or light soup. No one has to know why you are leaving. Go to Steak house at 7 or 8.

Or if you are late dining do reverse.

That's an excellent compromise and it informs the wait staff too. :)

Archived