Is Akrotiri open?

Thanks retired1, we were there last May and it was closed for excavations. I have contacted a driver/guide for September and she has said she cannot guarantee it will be open in Sept. I have seen some posts on other boards saying it is/is not open, so just wondered if anyone else had any info.

Diana

The excavations of Akrotiri will reopen on Tuesday April 6th and if you are intersted for a Private Tour of Santorini you can contact Dimitri at:info@thira-tours.com or you can visit his web site at:http://www.thira-tours.com

Tritsi: I think you meant that Akrotiri will open on Tuesday, April 26th (instead of April 6th).

On 30 March, I received an e-mail from the Greece Cultural Ministry saying that Akrotiri would open on April 26th. E-mail was from protocol@tdams.culture.gr with a cc of generalenquiries@culture.gr

The e-mail we received from the Greece Cultural Ministry briefly said:

Dear Kathy, The archaeological site at Akrotiri will be open at April 26. Enjoy your visit to Santorini!

• 1 month later...

We're back from our 5/23 Med cruise. Akrotiri is open! We took the cable to the top of Fira (7 Euros roundtrip), then walked down into town and off to the right there was a taxi stand. The taxi driver took us to Akrotiri, waited for us to tour (takes around 45 minutes to see -- more or less depending on your interests), then took us to Oia for an hour. Total cost 180 Euros for 3.5 hours for 4 people, plus a small admission for Akrotiri.

Akrotiri was great. Read up on it in advance so you know what you are seeing (or go with ship tour where they will narrate). There are markers and narrative at the main structures. I also recommend visiting the Fira Prehistoric Archaeology Museum too, which you will see on the way to the taxi stand. The museum has the lovely murals, pottery, and utensils that were excavated from Akrotiri.

Archived