Travel documents-no this isn't a passport question, I promise!

03yrb

i would not want to rely on the people who say that they never had a problem. You don't want to be the first, after all.

If all else fails, i would just create a document and call it something like "affidavit re absent parent"

in it you can list the circumstances such as you have sole legal and physical custody, that the other parent has been absent for x number of years and you have not been able to locate him despite diligent and good faith efforts to do so, blah, blah, blah...

Have the document you create notarized and present that to them in the unlikely event they ask for it.

It is unlikely that they will ask for it, but if they do, at least you will have an official looking notarized statement that you can present to them. The person checking you in is not going to pour over the document, they would most likely just glance at it.

It is better than going with nothing.

agreed!

once and not asked other times but always had the paperwork, just in case. I will say though that my grandkids, who were old enough to understand were questioned to insure that they were with their parents....who is your mother, who is your father, who do you live with etc.

Archived