TSA Lock

SugarPlum

Do they open the bags in Europe?

BTW, the TSA passkeys are not really keys. They are more of a tool and there are a number of them. Your TSA (Travel Sentry) lock has a TSA code on the bottom that tells them what tool to use.

So far as thieves,I don't think the reason they (probably airport workers) look for unlocked luggage is laziness, it's that they don't want the bag to come off the carousel ripped open which would start a security ruckus. They want you to get to your hotel or home and say,"Didn't I pack my ring?".

If you watch you can pick up these locks for a fraction of the luggage shop price at places like Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, etc. We use them all the time and love them.

My understanding is most thieves look for opportunity. They want a quick in and out and most of the time will by pass locks for easier targets. We traveled to England with these locks and had one bag opened, we knew because they left us a note. So I don't see any problem in at least Great Britain, having the proper tools to open the lock. I believe it says right on the packet that they can be used world wide.

as suggested, i picked-up mine yesterday at the super wal-mart. wish i could've gotten combination-style, but those were sold-out... so i made due with three american tourister key locks for just over $5.

What about locking your bags just for the land portion of the cruise/tours? We leave for Alaska on Thursday and I know we can't lock our bags for the flights, but what about on land once the luggage is being handled by Princess to get it from lodge to lodge and then to the boat? Can we lock our bags without Princess needing to get into them for any kind of inspection?

I have never used locks on my luggage and a travel quite a bit. I use the little cable ties sometimes. For some reason thieves have never taken anything, but the TSA broke the zipper by searching and just stuffing things back in the bag instead of repacking it. Seems like it would be courteous as least to have bright orange duct tape with "sorry its for your own safety--TSA" to shut the bag. I really didnt like people looking at my dirty undies on a baggage carrousel.

Another wonderful thing that happened once is I got my bag from the carousel and the tsa had put a lock on the bag that was some other poor fool's bag lock. OK in an airport with your bag locked AND your swiss army knife IN the bag.........none of the airport personnel were even vaguely bothered by what had happened....Welcome to Cleveland! The Taxi driver was a bit puzzled about taking me to a hardware store before the Holiday Inn, which leads to the other point........it took perhaps 2 seconds to pop off the lock with a cheap screwdriver.......so i am not sure of the security value of the puny little things anyway...except maybe the thieves have gotten so lazy nowdays they go to the next bag to steal something. john from NM usa

I probably should be more specific- the ties won't work on our hard sided luggage. One has a built in key lock and the other has a built in combination lock. We can't use either when flying, but wonder about once the luggage is in the hands of Princess. Can we lock our bags while Princess is transporting them?

Archived