Grand Anse Beach - Grenada

elecktra35

Has anyone else used this beach while in port and what were your thoughts on it? From what I have read it seems like a nice beach but I'm worried that my experience might be ruined by the pestering of locals trying to sell me their junk!!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Has anyone else used this beach while in port and what were your thoughts on it? From what I have read it seems like a nice beach but I'm worried that my experience might be ruined by the pestering of locals trying to sell me their junk!!

Not my favorite Caribbean beach.... you will be assigned a beach guy, you will be charged for the bathrooms, change room and the usual chairs and such.

Pestering.... not too bad if you hire your guy right away.

thanks for that! any other caribbean beaches you have done recommend?

I liked Seven Mile Beach (Caymans) more than I expected to, Turtle Beach and Reagga Beach St Kitts, Lobster Live is okay in Barbados, Lac Bay Bonaire is great, There's are many beaches in Antigua that are beautiful... it's the attitude that counts as well as the sand you know.... Grenada hasn't got the attitude right IMHO yet.

Here's Tobago.... Liked

1447801.jpg

did not like grand anse at all!!!! Maybe we were on the part of beach that was not nice, grubby looking. Some have said that one should go about a mile or so after being dropped off from taxi, we didnt do that, so maybe there are better areas. We would not bother again.:eek:

did not like grand anse at all!!!! Maybe we were on the part of beach that was not nice, grubby looking. Some have said that one should go about a mile or so after being dropped off from taxi, we didnt do that, so maybe there are better areas. We would not bother again.:eek:

Yes, it is a good idea to walk about 1/2 mile from where you are dropped off by the waqter taxi.

Beautiful beach with LOTS of begging! We regretted getting off the ship in Grenada. As I said, it would be beautiful without the begging AND stray dogs. And we love animals!! Made it a bit heartbreaking.

We went to a gorgeous and uncrowded beach in Grenada. It was two beaches past Grand Anse via water taxi, but I do not recall the name. There were no one trying to sell crap, but there were also no bathrooms or services of any kind so take what you need with you. It was awesome!

Also, Valley Church in Antigua is incredible. What are your stops?

Re: Grand Anse Beach, Grenada.

I was not impressed with this beach. The day I was there it was rainy and cooler so I did not do any suntanning or swimming but rather sat at a picnic table and waited to continue on with the rest of the tour. It was one of the longest 2 hours in my life. There was a fair amount of harrassment from the locals wanting to hawk their nutmeg spice necklaces and other touristy crap and all too often they would not take a polite "no" for an answer. Would I make of point of returning to that beach? Nope.

I don't want you to be turned off Grand Anse Beach by the previous posters. We like the beach very much. We take the water taxi and walk away from the crowds. You can rent chaises and umbrellas from on group after another.

Yes, there are hawkers, but they are friendly and polite. All you have to say is no in a nice way!

The sand is clean and smooth and so is the water. No rocks.

Perhaps we like it so much because we go first thing in the morning and return before noon.

I also hope you don't become discouraged by previous posters. Grand Anse is one of my favorite beaches. We take the water taxi and walk way past where the all of the chairs/umbrellas are set up. Go toward where the hotels are. This is the key to having a great day at Grand Anse. There are a few people who will rent you a chair for less than the "busy" areas. We had a few people ask if wanted to buy things, but were left alone for the most part. No beggars or poor dogs bothering us all day. I can't remember the name of guy we rented chairs from- but it cost us $10 for the day. He also had cheap beer and soft drinks for sale. When my husband was going to go to the bar to get a mixed drink, he went in and got it for him (we got the local vs. cruise ship price). He also offered to get us in a taxi with others to save money, but since we had a round trip water taxi, we went with that. We've hit every cruise port in the Caribbean (and stayed on several different island) and Grand Anse is one of my top 10.

I don't want you to be turned off Grand Anse Beach by the previous posters. We like the beach very much. We take the water taxi and walk away from the crowds. You can rent chaises and umbrellas from on group after another.

Yes' date=' there are hawkers, but they are friendly and polite. All you have to say is no in a nice way!

The sand is clean and smooth and so is the water. No rocks.

Perhaps we like it so much because we go first thing in the morning and return before noon.[/quote']

We first experienced Grand Anse Beach when we were on our first cruise in 1980 and loved the experience. While the vendors can be a bit of an annoyance, we have never found that a firm and polite "no thank you" didn't work. On our first cruise the CD suggested that we think of the experience as "the shopping coming to you". :)

It has been some years since our last visit to Grenada but we would likely return to Grand Anse again if the island was on our cruise itinerary. We have experienced similarly present vendors on beaches of several other Caribbean islands but have never let them interfere with our enjoyment of the beach. When the vendors realize that you are not a prospective customary they usually leave you alone.:)

Archived