flying in a day early?

We are doing an alaskan cruise in sept 2013. We are considering flying in a day early and sighting in vancouver rather than booking our flight through the cruiseline and flying in the day of departure. my question is what is the best mode of transportation to get from the airport to downtown. and are there any hotels downtown that don't cost an arm and a leg. we don't have to have anything fancy a chain hotel will do as long as it's clean. thanks for your help.

With regard to hotels you have lots of time so watch Hotwire and Priceline, you should be able to get a 3*+ hotel for about $135. Transportation from YVR to downtown hotel, a lot will depend upon which hotel you end up with. If you score a hotel close to a Canada Line station you can ride for $8.75 pp; a cab fare from YVR to almost any hotel in downtown Vancouver will run you $35.

The Canada Line is a subway line that runs from YVR to downtown Vancouver. The second part of your question is the most difficult but for the most part if you find a hotel in the downtown area at a price that works for you then you are likely not to be further than 6 or 7 blocks from a station.

thank you so much for your replies. hmm a subway kinda sounds fun. I live in a podunk town in east texas so I've never even seen a subway. LOL

Here are some photos of how to get from the airport to downtown on Skytrain (plus a few more at various stations along the way).

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#

the transit system (bus/seabus/skytrain) is very good, and a great hint is that for only $9 at the 7-11 inside the airport you can get a day pass in case you want to go anywhere else the day you arrive. $9 daypass or $8.75 for a single ride from the airport, you can see the great savings...

http://www.translink.ca/ for more info.

scott thank you so much for the photo journey. great pictures by the way. that makes the thougt of public transportation alot less scarier. LOL If I buy my day pass at the 7-11 in the airport I will need to find one of those machines and validate it, is that right?

scott thank you so much for the photo journey. great pictures by the way. that makes the thougt of public transportation alot less scarier. LOL If I buy my day pass at the 7-11 in the airport I will need to find one of those machines and validate it, is that right?

Day passes have a scratch validator on them, it's just the book of ten 'Faresavers' that you need to validate. There's a couple of the little validation machines (they're silver at the airport) at the station. Faresavers are another option for getting around (if you're in town for a few days), ten two-zone tickets are $31.50 (it's 2 zones from airport->downtown and downtown->Grouse Mt)

Here's further info on day passes: http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx note at the end the little caveat "not available at Sea Island TVMs" (which is the airport). Cheeky, because they know that a $9 all day pass is a somewhat better deal than an $8.75 single two-zone ticket; however the 7-11 and the Pharmasave within the airport terminal sell them.

Archived