New Yorkers....need your help.

bankonus

Sailing Sept. 19th on the Miracle. Flying in the night before the cruise. We arrive around 5pm. Would love to stay close to Times Square since we only have time for dinner, walk around and see the sights a little and then off to bed. Don't want to have to take a taxi to get anywhere. Any recommendations for the area I should be doing my hotel search in and/or Hotels we should look at? We fly into LaGuardia. Also, any idea how far away from the airport this area is and also from this area to the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance for your help.

We like the Courtyard Hotel near Bryant Park. Cab from LaGuardia to Manhattan will probably run you around $25-30; to the port it will probably be around $10-15, depending on traffic.

Good thing about staying in Manhattan is that everything is walkable, or you can jump on a subway/bus to get around.

Enjoy Miracle!

There are so many things to do just in Times Sqaure alone...the huge Toys R Us with the ferris wheel, M&M store, and if you have time and/or wanting to see a Broadway show...there is a ticket booth right in the middle of times sqaure that will sell the tickets that didnt sell for that day at 50%...all of the theaters are all very close... Enjoy NYC and have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Hi,

I'm not a New Yorker, but there is something I want to add. When your cruise ends and you are back in NY and need to get to the airport, allow extra time if you are trying to get there during rush hour. A few years ago I had a 7 PM flight out of La Guardia and was trying to catch a cab from Manhattan at 5PM. It wasn't easy I was trying to hail one and the 2 doormen from the hotel I was staying at were on opposite corners trying to hail one. I finally got one and got to the airport without a minute to spare. That is what happens to us small town midwesterners when we go to NYC. You don't know what rush hour really means until you are trying to hail a cab at 5 PM in Manhattan. lol

Here is a link that might help you out a bit...

http://www.nyctourist.com/times-square-hotels.php

I am not from NY but I have stayed the Marriott Marquis and I liked it...it is pretty close to times square I think, just not sure how far...didn't go to times square when we stayed there.

LGA is not that far from NYC, but traffic will be your factor. I have done the same drive several times and have had over 1 hour difference depending on traffic.

Times Square isn't too far from the port...WAY further than I would be willing to walk with suitcases though. Probably $20 cab ride I would guess. Again, depends on traffic...

Have fun...

Sailing Sept. 19th on the Miracle. Flying in the night before the cruise. We arrive around 5pm. Would love to stay close to Times Square since we only have time for dinner, walk around and see the sights a little and then off to bed. Don't want to have to take a taxi to get anywhere. Any recommendations for the area I should be doing my hotel search in and/or Hotels we should look at? We fly into LaGuardia. Also, any idea how far away from the airport this area is and also from this area to the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance for your help.

I believe the flat fare (yellow taxi) rate from LGA or JFK is $45.00 plus tip into Manhattan. All of the hotel suggestions here for the Times Square area are good! Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider dragging my luggage from the Times Square area to the pier. :eek:! It's 5 or 6 "Avenue" blocks down to the river (and "avenue" blocks are verrrry long!) & then about a half mile up to the terminal. Take a cab from your hotel...I'd be shocked if it was more than $10-$12.

Have a great cruise & enjoy NYC!

Don't forget to check out living social, group on, life booker,craigs list, gilt, etc. for some sweet deals for hotels. I also like hot wire but you just never know where you're going to be. Remember traffic is always a pain in the city so I recommend the subways but there's always construction going on so check mta. info when you're here.

I've had pretty good luck with Hotwire when booking for a single night. Any three-star will do.

When I'm staying for multiple nights I like the Omni-Berkshire on the East Side. If you sign up for their loyalty program you'll receive all kinds of offers from the get-go, making weekend rates pretty affordable. Members get free wi-fi and beverages delivered to your door in the morning. A pot of coffee and juice in Manhattan can be worth $20 easy.

We're a little nutty, but we do actually walk (with our suitcases) to Penn Station from the Omni, often including a stop by Donut Planet and Chelsea Market for goodies to take home on the train, so Times Square to the Pier would be a leisurely stroll for us, LOL!

Thanks soooo much everyone! Your help is most appreciated. I have some great places to look up now. We are adventurous enough to walk with our suitcases normally... but our daughter is getting married on the ship before we set sail and carrying wedding dresses in bags does NOT sound fun! Not to mention hair and makeup have to be done before boarding. Only have time to dress on ship before the ceremony. We will make it the best cruise yet!!!:p

Hi, I am from NY and worked in the Times Square area, The Marriott Marquis is located right in Times Square on Broadway between 45th and 46th Street. It's about one mile from the NYC Cruise Terminal.

I have not stayed at this hotel but it is centrally located.

It's only a few blocks to Rockefeller Center (where the huge Christmas Tree is lit every year), Fifth Avenue shopping and Radio City Music Hall.

Also, it's a little over a mile walk to the famous Central Park.

There is so much to do in Times Square and most stores stay open late until after the theartre lets out around 11 PM.

It truly is a city that never sleeps

Enjoy and have a good time.

Hi,

I'm not a New Yorker, but there is something I want to add. When your cruise ends and you are back in NY and need to get to the airport, allow extra time if you are trying to get there during rush hour. A few years ago I had a 7 PM flight out of La Guardia and was trying to catch a cab from Manhattan at 5PM. It wasn't easy I was trying to hail one and the 2 doormen from the hotel I was staying at were on opposite corners trying to hail one. I finally got one and got to the airport without a minute to spare. That is what happens to us small town midwesterners when we go to NYC. You don't know what rush hour really means until you are trying to hail a cab at 5 PM in Manhattan. lol

Hi Kathy,

Your post made me laugh. Even us NYers hate rush hour ! You should see the LIE then. Probably would have been better off taking subway to Penn Sta, and hailing a cab from there. they're are more available there.

Hope you liked your visit to NY otherwise. It's a great city to visit but wouldn't live in it. We're out on the island. Go into city 3-4 times a year, been here all our lives and still haven't seen it all.

Deb

We went on a cruise out of NY a few years ago and are going again in June. We flew in a day early and stayed at Westin. This time we are staying at the Crowne Plaza time square. I always bid on them thru priceline. If you want to stay in the heart of times square then choose time square theatre district. We got the crown plaza for 225 per night. Which is really good for New York in June in Times Square. Oh yeah, we arranged for a car service to pick us up at the airport and also from the hotel to port and port back to airport. I can't remember how much it was, but was better then a cab to me.

Thanks soooo much everyone! Your help is most appreciated. I have some great places to look up now. We are adventurous enough to walk with our suitcases normally... but our daughter is getting married on the ship before we set sail and carrying wedding dresses in bags does NOT sound fun! Not to mention hair and makeup have to be done before boarding. Only have time to dress on ship before the ceremony. We will make it the best cruise yet!!!:p

Hey bankonus, have a great time here in our little village!:D Late September is a terrific time to visit. The flat fare cab of $45 dollars someone quoted is only from JFK. LGA will be in the 30-35 range with tip. And yes, in Times Square you will be about a $10 cab ride from the pier. I'd recommend walking over to ninth ave. in the forties for food--great restaurants. Lots of variety!

I hope you get see a show!

Have fun and congrats to you and your daughter!

Oh yeah, we arranged for a car service to pick us up at the airport and also from the hotel to port and port back to airport. I can't remember how much it was, but was better then a cab to me.

You could call Carmel bankonus, that would be nice since you all likely have a lot of luggage and you can arrange everything by phone--#1 212 666-6666 locally, probably 1800 666 6666 long distance.

Cheers!

Archived