Looks like the DUCK for us.....can we walk on ?? Other ??

sharecruises

Looks like my group wants the Duck, and "logistically" it is probably easier

1) Tillicum Village has the 49 or $50 deal on Goldstar and on their site BUT it is ONLY till April 29....in tourist season (May) it will be $89

Tillicum "deal" not on in May

some in my group are not willing to pay that, also I am not sure if they want to reserve so far in advance...this allows NO room for change mind, "tired, stay at hotel" or whatever

2) I have 2 for 1 coupons option for the Paddlewheel...but it looks like I will have an odd number of people on the boat tour ....5 of us are flying up on the 19th...will do whichever boat tour on the 20th

we have another 5 people coming in late that afternoon and more coming in on monday and some (eek) coming in tues day of sailing

so...for 5 people the 2 for 1 will leave someone "out">> plus the more I look at getting us to Lake Union on a Sunday the more I think the Duck will be easier

3) Duck....quak quak...advantages

> so far I can see that the Duck is pretty close to our Hotel...just a few blocks away from Quality Inn

> I think...correct me if wrong...it can be a "walk up">> it has various times it leaves during the day, so we are not set in stone

> seems to be a good overview of Seattle plus we will see the "houseboat from Sleepless in Seattle"

> price not too bad

so....can we walk up?? pay as we go??

Yes, I personally would prefer the larger boat, covered, ability to walk around, and of course salmon bake but that ain't gonna happen with my group from what I can see

Oh...we will do Duck on Sunday May 20th....advice about time/etc?

should we go to Pike Place before/after or ???

or we may go over to Gold Rush Museum, fit that in...take the monorail over to that area and walk (I think this is doable?)

thanks...quak quak

so....can we walk up?? pay as we go??

The Ducks take reservations ahead of time. During the busy season, you can sometimes walk up and buy tickets for the same day, but you might have trouble getting on the very next tour. You might want to call them or go online (your hotel's website says they have a computer you can use) and make the reservation as soon as you can persuade your group to make up their minds (has the phrase "herding cats" come to mind yet? :rolleyes:)

Oh...we will do Duck on Sunday May 20th....advice about time/etc?

should we go to Pike Place before/after or ???

I would go to the Market before, personally. The Market gets VERY crowded during cruise season. Early in the day is a little better, and the Market is a great place for breakfast. Plus, depending on the weather, afternoon might be better for the Ducks--we get often get that morning-clouds, clearing-by-afternoon weather in May and June.

or we may go over to Gold Rush Museum, fit that in...take the monorail over to that area and walk (I think this is doable?)

Google says it's about a mile and a half, takes about half an hour to walk. It's downhill going there, but of course, uphill going back. 5th Avenue will have shopping on the way. You probably won't want to take 2nd or 3rd Avenues through downtown (they're a little more dicey)--better to cut over from 5th at James or Yesler. The south end of your walk will go through a less-nice area--more street people, which freaks out some visitors. Personally, I wouldn't mind walking it in the daytime, but if any of your group are easily freaked out by a few panhandlers or down-and-out-looking people, you may want to get there some other way. Another alternative would be switch from the Monorail to Light Rail at Westlake Center, and get off at the Pioneer Square or International District stations.

there's also the free bus #99 to get around the waterfron, pioneer Sq and the Market. http://metro.kingcounty.gov/cftemplates/show_map.cfm?BUS_ROUTE=099&DAY_NAV=WSU

I agree that the Market is an early morning activity, altho some people have said they prefer the crowds and activity.

Since you're travelling in May, I'd wait on the weather. Might be 50, raining and windy or it might be warm and sunny. Even on a sunny day it's very cool on the water so the Ducks is better as an afternoon activity.

Thanks so much, you are both such a help

Herding Cats ?? LOL>> Yup...and this ain't my first "cat rodeo" haha

I will call the Ducks and see what they suggest, I do agree afternoon may be best

We (supposedly) have a really nice breakfast at the Quality Inn...so I am sure that some of the kitty cats will want that

We also have a shuttle that (supposedly) will take us to some locations in town, ie, Pioneer Square...so it may be possible to get shuttle to the Gold Rush Museum.....walk from there to Pike Place....shop/hang out/see Rachel the Pig and Gum Wall (photo ops haha)....

hang out eat lunch there.....take monorail back to Seattle Center

and then "Ride the Duck"

then back to the Hotel to regroup, meet/greet those flying in on Sunday

and then...YIPPEE>>> off to Habesha for my Eithiopian Dinner

I am sooo excited about that, and thanks for the Groupon info

I lived in DC from 1980 to 85....and loved Eithiopian food. Over the years we had a few...very few....here in south florida, had a nice one in Miami I went to a few years ago but it closed....

Eithiopian food ...injera...tibs...yum...is one of the few things I miss about "up north" LOL

So that night it is Habesha

and then ?? who knows what these peeps will want to do

I did reserve a Piano Bar....manager soooo nice...Keys on Main...dueling pianos...all sorts of music, pop, rock ...it is new but getting really good reviews

We are going there our first night Saturday..I figured it was close to hotel, give us dinner but also some entertainment,

we will probably get "tired" from the time change but looks like fun.

I have a "restaurant.com" coupon for that haha....if you go to restaurant.com always google and find the "code" for the day so you save more

You can get a $25 off $35 coupon ...cost $10 but instead of $10 you pay $2 <grin>

Also if you are ever coming to south florida, specific ft lauderdale...I am practically a "concierge" here haha....I know where all the bargains are LOL

Thanks again and please keep the info/ideas coming...I appreciate

Herding Cats is hard but "somebody's gotta do it" LOL

if you don't do the ducks, there are a few new tours in Seattle that are in vans but do quick 90 minute city tours. Seems like a company called

quicktours or something similar. I've seen their vans around downtown.

Archived