Norway - Fjords with a 10 month old?

AvayaUK

Hi all,

A special birthday for my wife this year means I'd love to suprise her with a cruise she's always wanted to do....the Fjords. Found something in Sept with P&O but am unsure as our little one will be 10 months by then and am not sure of how suitable it will be for a child of that age.

From having a brief look, it seems most of the shore excursions are coach or heavy walking based (coach not so keen on and sure they wont provide a three point seat belt etc - and we'd have to take a car seat....urgh, too much!) but walking we're happy with, although again with a ten month old, probably not suitable. Does anyone have any info or experience of shore excursions or the type of things that are on offer in the ports of Norway and if they are buggy/baby friendly? We like to get off and go see the country rather than sit on board and look from the decking.

It would seem a shame to spend so much and be limited to the things we can do, but figure at ten months, she wont be running around so it could be our last chance to do this and have some control of her, or have to wait years until she's old enough to be independently mobile and not need eyes on her 24/7!

Any advice or experiences much appreciated. As is anyones thoughts on the Fjords in Sept (weather etc) PS - we will be doing cruise only from a UK port, so no flights involved - which is part of the attraction.

Thanks.

We did Fjords last year and we are going again this year. Last year my daughter has just turned two and we found the itinerary really easy as all the ports we didn't require long shuttle buses or transfers, often just a case of stepping of the ship and into the town. We didn't try to be too adventurous though with small kids and found just pottering about was great for a couple of hours ashore was great. P&O really is great with small kids and we first sailed with them with my youngest was 8 months old and we have done quite a few more since then. Have you got an eye on a particular ships - we like Azura and Ventura best with the kids, but Oceana is good too.

Weather-wise who knows. We had rain, sun and cloud last May and expect the same in June this year. Pack for every eventuality! Book it - I would be very happy with that kind of gift:)

Thanks for the the replies. Actually thinking of going in July now, on the Azura from Southampton. Its a bit more expensive but hoping the weather will be better than beginning of Sept, as I hear that crossing the North sea can be rough. Baby will also be 8 months instead of ten, so maybe easier to handle and lighter to carry in our baby carrier rather than taking the buggy everywhere.

I contacted one of the cruise liners asking about the shore excursions and they advised that none of the bus/coach transfers are geared for very young childen (ie no saftey seats/3 point seat belts) so they recommend that we dont do any excursions that require this type of transfer, which unfortunately appears to be almost all of them!

The mother-inlaw has also mentioned that she'd be worried that baby may get sea sick, especially going across the (rough) North sea. I've checked into it and there is no medication you can give such a young child for motion sickness. She's got a point, it could really take the edge off the holiday having to watch our little one be ill knowing there's nothing we can do to help.

Has anyone been on Azura? We went on Ventura a couple of years ago and hardly knew we were moving, although we were in the Caribbean and the weather was very calm.

Thanks again.

The mother-inlaw has also mentioned that she'd be worried that baby may get sea sick, especially going across the (rough) North sea. I've checked into it and there is no medication you can give such a young child for motion sickness. She's got a point, it could really take the edge off the holiday having to watch our little one be ill knowing there's nothing we can do to help.

I was concerned about sea sickness as well until the helpful people on this board reminded me that babies are put in swings, etc. and don't generally get motion sickness.

Best,

Mia

Thanks for the the replies. Actually thinking of going in July now, on the Azura from Southampton. Its a bit more expensive but hoping the weather will be better than beginning of Sept, as I hear that crossing the North sea can be rough. Baby will also be 8 months instead of ten, so maybe easier to handle and lighter to carry in our baby carrier rather than taking the buggy everywhere.

I contacted one of the cruise liners asking about the shore excursions and they advised that none of the bus/coach transfers are geared for very young childen (ie no saftey seats/3 point seat belts) so they recommend that we dont do any excursions that require this type of transfer, which unfortunately appears to be almost all of them!

Has anyone been on Azura? We went on Ventura a couple of years ago and hardly knew we were moving, although we were in the Caribbean and the weather was very calm.

Thanks again.

I have to say having spoken to a lot of other parents of little ones in the last couple of years, while on cruises, no one has ever mentioned their children being sea sick. I think adults suffer far more than young kids. I don't think the kids notice at all. It really makes no difference when you go as the sea can be rough at anytime sailing from Southampton. We have had calm sailings in April on Bay of Biscay and a rough crossing in August. My experience of North Sea has been fine and we have crossed in May, December and August.

Azura is lovely and is really very similar to Ventura. If you liked Ventura then I am sure you'll like Azura too. We are doing two Fjords cruises on Azura this year in June and August and can't wait. As I said in the original posts the ports are easy to do as many of them you just step of the ship into the town etc. Do take the baby car seat with you as I am pretty sure the one shuttle bus we used in Bergen did have proper three point harness.

Ventura was the first ships we sailed on with a baby (we did not cruise with my son until he was 2 and half) and it was the easiest holiday we ever had with young kids. P&O is just geared up for kids with freedom dining, children's tea, night nursery etc. And they will provide baby food, baby baths and bottle warmers etc,

One thing I would say is I prefer to sail in or close to school holidays (and we now have to) as you tend to get a younger and more child-friendly mix of other guests.

Did your baby ever get sick in a rocking crib? In a swing? In the stroller? At this age they don't get sick.

BUT if your baby really gets sick, there is ginger ale (adults take ginger pills).

Archived