St. Kitts, st.thomas or Barbados for snorkel

SugarStar00

In Barbados you can snorkel with the turtles and be taken to a shipwreck. There are a few cats that go out: Calabaza, Silver Moon, Shasa. Go to the Barbados board for more info. I don't believe there is any reef snorkeling here.

St. Thomas: I don't think there any absolute best beaches for snorkelling but I did hear maybe Coki Beach? Definately not Magens. You could also do your own excursion or with the ship to Trunk Bay on St. John, which has excellent snorkeling and world renowned.

St. Kitts: I did hear that there is snorkeling at South Friars Beach right off the beach. You can get cheap lounge chairs and a palapa at Shipwreck Beach Bar right there.

I love to snorkel. My favorite spot for snorkeling was Norman Island (was an excursion from Tortola/Virgin Gorda). Second would be Trunk Bay in St. John (which is likely an excursion from the ship--mine was). It is just gorgeous there and there is an underwater nature trail!

I was just on the Carnival Victory Feb 19-25. I love to snorkel too!

In St. Thomas, we went to Sapphire Beach, which had a nice reef, but wasn't the best I've been to. It was a $10 cab ride from the ship.

In Barbados, took the city bus to a place called Folkstone National Park - it has a marine reserve there, with great reef. Snorkeling there was nice, lots of fish. The reef area is quite large, and the beach was nice. Stayed there an hour or two, then got on the bus and went to Payne's Bay Beach on the way back to the ship, this is where a lot of the sea turtle excursions go. Was able to go out to where the catermarans were, and see the turtles... and didn't have to pay for an excursion! Then took the bus back to the ship. It made for an inexpensive day. Nice thing about the catermarns though is some go out to the shipwrecks to snorkel as well.

In St. Kitts, went to Shipwreck beach, but did not snorkel there, just swam - even if I did bring my snorkel gear, in the area we were at, there was nothing but white sand on the bottom.

In Barbados, taking Cool Runnings catamaran to swim & snorkel w/turtles, snorkel over a shipwreck and then beach time.

St John, was there 2yrs ago for a land vac. and Trunk Bay is worn out, too many people standing & kicking the coral so most of it's dead and unless only ship in port, there are big crowds. they come by the bus & van load. Go to Maho or Francis Bay if can, get a taxi right at the port.

St Thomas, Coki beach is the best on the island. can get a taxi on your own. Plus it's right next to Coral World which is a nice aquarium.

I don't know about the others, but I have snorkeled in St. Kitts. We did a catamaran day with snorkel, beach and lunch. We have only been snorkeling a few times and this seemed as good as any other place we have been too. The crew on this excursion were AMAZING the lunch food was EXCELLENT. We also got to spend time on a beach at Nevis. I could not give this excursion a better rating.....lots and lots of fun. I believe the catamaran was called Swaliga, hope that helps in finding info on this excursion.... if your interested.

There is some excellent snorkeling at South Friar's Bay at St Kitts...just walk in and swim the back of the reef parallel with the shore

My video is here:

There are some photos of snorkelling at St Kitts and Norman Island (BVI) on this album:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150864350739896.521502.535084895&type=3&l=0d5d778636

Sapphire Beach has a nice reef off to the right (as you face the ocean) as well as vendors to rent equip.

If you don't need anything - equipment, food, chairs, then head to Smith Bay. $2.00 admission fee, and it is just a beach with a port a potty. But the snorkeling was amazing! The reef has all different types of coral and fish, and we saw turtles and rays as well. You would need to arrange a pick up time with a taxi driver as this beach is mostly popular with the locals, and people staying on the island - due to the lack of facilities.

Archived