Can you view pictures directly from a digital camera on your tv?

dtwtraveler

Most digital cameras come with a cable that will connect the camera to a TV. Usually the camera will display the pictures on the TV as a slide show (one after another with a set time delay) or you can go through the pictures one by one using camera controls.

You connect the camera to the video in connection of the TV (yellow plug on front). On both QE2 and QM2 the TVs have this connection (although on QE2 I think some of the Q grade cabins have a different (larger) TV may not have this connection).

The TV are on the NTSC (North American standard) but most cameras have the option of choosing the TV format between NTSC (US) or PAL (Europe). This is more of an issue for camcorders as European cameras will not play back on QE2s TVs. They might work on QM2 but I have not tried them.

I've used a camcorder with QE2 TVs (can't remember if the plug was on front or back) so you should have no problems (except possibly in some of the higher grade cabins which use a different TV). For QM2, I am sure the plugs were on the front of the TV although I have been trying to find a photo that confirms this.

I can confirm that the TV in our Q5 cabin did NOT have any plugs to be able to view pictures or video from digital cameras. I had brought along a cable for this purpose, but was not able to use it. The Q5 TVs are a Philips brand flat screen model, while I believe the TVs in other cabins are conventional tube sets, which usually have those plugs on the front panels.

Hi,

Our P1 cabin had a normal TV (not flat screen) and there were plugs in the back that were quite easily reached. Yes, the system is NTSC so my pictures showed up black and white until I altered the camera to output in that format. You have to scroll the channels until you find the AUX channel and then, bingo, they are there. You must have your own cable from the camera. I didn't try video playback but wouldn't see that as a problem.

Thanks for the info! :) How nice to learn that there can be an advantage to being in a B2 stateroom instead of Q! I'll have to familiarize myself with my camera's ability to deal with the format NTSC. I'll also look into our video camera's adaptability. How exciting to be able to look at each day's memories right away. I also appreciate being able to pay $10 on the ship to transfer digital photos to a cd.

PS I really like "transat jon"'s photo of the QE2 and QM2 together in NY. His helicopter shots are also good. Overall he has great photos!

dtwtraveler : thank you for the compliments on the photos.

Don't worry about your camcorder, it will already be NTSC if it is a US model.

If you do have a PAL camcorder you would need additional hardware to get it work fully by NTSC. Without this the picture should show in most cases except be black and white. Most European TVs will work with both systems, in the US it is less so.

Archived