Very special snorkel question

kcdancerkc

I have talked my dad into coming to bahamas to snorkel for his first time

in January with NCL for my 50th Bday --- he has only cruised to alaska 10 yr ago.

He has neuropathy in his legs enough to use a cane - his feet are numb mostly - and I think snorkeling off shore will be easy and make him feel like a fish again!

This we can do at Stirrup Cay

But where (I don't care how far from port - just as we have time to get back) ...... Could we snorkel off the beach in what we call "GIN CLEAR" colored waters

From Nassau and Freeport --- He might like going with stingrays too, but mostly standing and feeding -- I'm trying like hellll to avoid a boat snorkel unless it takes us to shallow water to begin with

Please - any info? Not expecting belize type snorkel - and I will post this on bahama boards too

THANKSSSSS!

I have talked my dad into coming to bahamas to snorkel for his first time

in January with NCL for my 50th Bday --- he has only cruised to alaska 10 yr ago.

He has neuropathy in his legs enough to use a cane - his feet are numb mostly - and I think snorkeling off shore will be easy and make him feel like a fish again!

This we can do at Stirrup Cay

But where (I don't care how far from port - just as we have time to get back) ...... Could we snorkel off the beach in what we call "GIN CLEAR" colored waters

From Nassau and Freeport --- He might like going with stingrays too, but mostly standing and feeding -- I'm trying like hellll to avoid a boat snorkel unless it takes us to shallow water to begin with

Please - any info? Not expecting belize type snorkel - and I will post this on bahama boards too

THANKSSSSS!

Nassau and freeport you would need a boat excursion..

In Nassau, you could try Junkanoo Beach. It is walkable from the ship, but I assume you could grab a cab. I don't know how the snorkeling would be - I've never heard it mentioned for that. But its super easy shore entry and the views are nice of the ships. If he just wanted to put a mask on and paddle around that might work - I know there's a pier there and there is usually fish swimming around under those.:)

(And I'm a solo woman traveler and I walked there by myself, so no worries on that end.)

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&sz=all&va=junkanoo+beach+nassau

Any good bookstore will have the Fodor's guide to the Bahamas. Plenty of descriptions and maps to the beaches.

Just a suggestion, but find a YMCA or health club or dive shop with a pool and take your dad there before you go. Let him get comfortable with the mask and breathing with a snorkel. If he is comfortable doing that in a controlled environment, he will have a much better time out in the ocean. If he isn't comfortable with it, then you can find some other excursions to try. I have seen people that just hate snorkeling forcing themselves to do it and having a lousy time, just because they think they have to do it. Let him find out if he likes it, if not, take the tour over to Atlantis or the stingrays or just have a great day at the beach with him.

ken

Archived