Dinner attire for boys

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The reason I am not budging on this issue with my kids is because they are requested to dress a certain way for dinner. As they grow up and are faced with situations that call for a certain level of dress, I don't want them to arbitrarily decide when they can ignore the request and when they cannot. You, personally, don't feel the MDR calls for a certain level of dress but many people do, including the ship's management.

There are many times when my kids have had to dress up when they would have preferred not to. And guess what? I don't really care.

If the dress code says no shorts, my kids will not wear shorts. I don't care if they are the only ones in the dining room in long pants.

When my boys decide that putting pants on for dinner is too much trouble they can just stay home.

We all make parenting decisions that are right for our individual families. While I am adamant on this issue with my family, I really don't care what anyone else does.

100% the way I feel. If my boys don't want to starve they better suck it up and put the suit on HA HA

For us ~ no shorts means no shorts. I am sure if I allowed the boys to wear whatever they wanted ... it would be swimming trunks, flip flops and a towel wrapped around their neck HA HA

It is my parenting technique but agree my technique might not work for all families. Its that old saying, "If everyone else jumped off the bridge, would you?!"

The rules are pretty clear in the regards to shorts. They are not allowed in the main dining room. However there are a lot of rules on the ship that are broken hourly with no consequences.

If the ship's management cares then they should be the ones to stop someone don't you think?

I really don't know why they don't enforce certain things but the fact is that they are the ones publishing the guidelines.

But, that isn't really my point. My guess is that it just isn't worth the hassle. As you probably know people can be pretty belligerent about their right to wear whatever they want. I'm sure they don't want to have to confront these passengers. I know I wouldn't want to.

IMO the ships crew stopped enforcing the dress code because of the nastiness of some of the pax that were stopped at the main doors and asked to go change.

We've seen our share of encounters and in all cases the crew were very cordial. It was the pax that used foul language and caused the scenes.

Management aren't the ones manning the doors and taking the heat from pax. It is the crew who were taking the brunt from abusive pax and I don't blame them for not stopping pax who happen to be wearing what some of us would consider wearing to bed or in our gardens.

It is nice that some parents still teach their children that "suggestions" are really guidelines and that they should dress for dinner and leave the shorts..etc for the Windjammer or Johnny rockets.

Cruising is changing because the people who are cruising are changing. They don't like being told what to wear..or that they can't smuggle booze onboard..or that they can't save deck chairs or seats at shows..or that their kids have a curfew...or that there are non-smoking areas..or that it isn't nice to to be loud and obnoxious and keep their cabin neighbors up at night.

Maybe the next RCI campaign slogan should be "Its all about you!!!":rolleyes:

IMO the ships crew stopped enforcing the dress code because of the nastiness of some of the pax that were stopped at the main doors and asked to go change.

We've seen our share of encounters and in all cases the crew were very cordial. It was the pax that used foul language and caused the scenes.

Management aren't the ones manning the doors and taking the heat from pax. It is the crew who were taking the brunt from abusive pax and I don't blame them for not stopping pax who happen to be wearing what some of us would consider wearing to bed or in our gardens.

It is nice that some parents still teach their children that "suggestions" are really guidelines and that they should dress for dinner and leave the shorts..etc for the Windjammer or Johnny rockets.

Cruising is changing because the people who are cruising are changing. They don't like being told what to wear..or that they can't smuggle booze onboard..or that they can't save deck chairs or seats at shows..or that their kids have a curfew...or that there are non-smoking areas..or that it isn't nice to to be loud and obnoxious and keep their cabin neighbors up at night.

Maybe the next RCI campaign slogan should be "Its all about you!!!":rolleyes:

More importantly however is the fact that 99% of the ship is for casual clothes. Only this very small 1% is for dressing up. In order to make everyone happy they set a formal night on the cruise. You do not have to go to it...

I don't drink and am too old for dance clubs ~ fine don't go to the bars and dance clubs, problem solved

I don't like to swim ~ fine, don't get in the pool, problem solved

I don't like buffets ~ fine, don't eat at the Windjammer

I am not one to like my nails, hair or massages ~ fine don't go to the spa

I do not like dressing up on vacation ~ fine, don't eat in the main dining room

Ships have something for everyone. If dressing up isn't for you then don't go... problem solved.

Perhapos they should have one floor of the MDR set aside for people who want the service, but don't want to dress up. It would be quite easy to state along with prefered dining time, whether you want casual or more formal, and they could allocated the appropriate area based on the number who respond.

If we eat in the MDR we do conform, and so do our kids, but if we had that choice I think I would go for it, and eat in the Windjammer less.

Archived