Land Rover/ Cave expedition???

cjs3379

Our group would really like to do this excursion and would really like some feedback about previous cruiser's experiences. Also, how many people can go in 1 Rover? There are 5 in my group. We are going in May, is there any major issues during this time?

• 2 weeks later...

My group will be going on this excursion in May. We will be on the Carnival Liberty and I booked it online on the Carnival website. May is supposed to be the start of the rainy season in Belize, so this should be fun.:D

We did this excursion a couple of summers ago the last minute onboard, and it ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. Every other port we just hit a beach and relaxed, but in Belize we did the total opposite by doing this excursion and it was great. It was myself, my DH and DS (8yrs at that time). They do this excursion in two big groups that will either start early or a little later like 10am'ish. Opt for the later start and here's why. You will tender into the port where you will meet the rest of your group and guide there at the dock. From there you be led to get on an old jilapy (sp?) which will take you through the city and waaay out to the jungle..as they call it. It's really pretty. The bugs are HUGE!!!! So bring bug spray with the highest level of DEET you can find. The local guides also have buckets of the nuts that they smoke and carry with them along the path to the cave. The smell isn't wonderful, but it works to keep the bugs away...we didn't get a bite because we stuck close to our guide. You will walk across a large suspension bridge over water. Now, this was a little interesting because as more people hit the bridge the more it really does sway so my suggestion is to be one of the first or the last across. The walk to the cave is a cleared path and the guides did a fantastic job pointing out local trees, leaves etc and telling us the homeopathic remedy it was used for like high blood pressure, snake bite, weight loss etc..The cave...you will have to climb up a few rocks (God's natural stairway) into the cave, but one of the guides stands there to help everyone up and down. If you prefer not to go into the part that requires you to squat through you will not be alone and can just turn back around and head out. You don't miss anything because it just leads you in a circle anyway. After you are done with the cave exploration you will have a bathroom break and be offered a cold drink. They will split you into groups of 4-6/7 people per Land Rover. These are stripped down and beat up vehicles for sure, but it was fun. You will caravan your way out of the jungle, being sure to hit as many mud puddles as possible, and travel about 30mins to a very pretty Valencia orange orchard where you will have a traditional style Belizean lunch. Lunch was a stewed chicken with rice and beans, cole slaw and a drink. It was actually very good!! My crew is very picky and went back for seconds if that tells you anything. After lunch you all pile into a 45' speed boat that takes you back up the Sibun River which opens up to the Caribbean Sea and will drop you off right back at the ship. The boat ride was incredibly smooth and it was very nice not having to tender back to the ship from port and being dropped off directly to the ship. This is why I said make sure you are on the second group because then you finish with lunch and the boat ride. The first group left the jungle on the old bus that brought us out to the jungle. I believe they did this excursion in reverse order. It's good tour because you get to do a little of everything...land and water.

I hope this helps you out!

Thank you so much for the info! We are going in October and were looking into this one. Just one question, how long are you in the caves and can you skip the cave part all together? One of our travlers is claustrophobic:eek:

I am thinking about booking this excursion for my DH and myself for our Legend cruise the end of April. This would be our 1st ship excursion as we have only ever done independent. How many people were in your 2nd group? Looking on the website there is not a time so how do you get put into the 2nd group? I have read that the cave has very tight spaces, what do you do with your stuff? We have a DSLR camera and my DH is very paranoid about it. Is this one of those excursions where he would want to not bring in with going through the mud/water/caves? Thanks for your help!

I did this and had a blast! I was solo and got in a Rover with 4 guys. Bugs were bad. Take spray. The drive is like a caravan on streets and unpaved roads. Rover's are in bad shape and not real comfortable. 2 horses jumped a fence right in front of us and we almost hit them. Then the driver was able to get them to jump back over the fence to safety. They were so scared.

The suspension bridge was in great shape and scary as heck! It really swayed. It is very wide.

The cave has places where you nearly crawl to get by. You wear a helmet with a light. Bats in the cave.

Lunch was so so, chicken, rice and beans, slaw. Rum punch abounded. On the bus back (open air) all the rum punch you can drink. Great time had by all. I think I'll do it again but won't crawl the cave this time.

Best excursion ever!

• 11 months later...

Did anyone see big spiders or have guides pull tarantulas out of the ground? I have heard this happens on the zipline tour in the rainforest...I am pretty sure the rainforest in Belize isn't a good idea for a person with a fear of spiders but would like feedback...

Archived