ATV - Mayan Cave Tour Belize

rosej

My husband did the ATV tour through Princess Cruises in Belize. He loved it so much, I thought I’d write a quick review. The tour met on the ship at 9:00 and then tendered the short distance to Belize. There they boarded a bus and drove through Belize City. Once on the highway, they headed for the mountains. The bus ride to the ATVs was probably a little under an hour. At the starting point they choose their helmet and gloves. There wre a little over 20 people on the tour. The staff assigned an ATV and gave out bottles of water. Staff started each ATV and checked it out to make sure it was working right. If there were any problems, they swapped it for another. For example, the motor on my husband’s ATV kept dying...so staff quickly gave him another one that worked great.

They drove along a path through the jungle amid very tall palm leaf trees/plants. My husband estimates they drove ATVs for about an hour before reaching the cave. They climbed up the steps to the cave and were issued helmets with headlamps, as it is dark inside the cave. It is also refreshingly cool. The actual entrance to the inside of the cave is through a slant that appears a bit narrow. Everyone fit through OK though. It was pretty inside with stalactites and stalagmites. There was also some Mayan pottery.

After the cave exploration, they went to an area with picnic tables and were served watermelon, pineapple and other fruits. More bottles of water were provided. There were some ladies selling what looked like large “pop tarts” for $2 each. They were fruit filled. The guide said that people who wanted to could swim (Mark wasn’t sure if he was kidding or meant it) or wade in the river. Since they had not known in advance...no one had brought a swimming suit but several people waded in. They then got back on their ATVs and drove to where they started. As far as he can remember, the tour arrived back at the port around 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon.

Here are some photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/roseyj

• 1 month later...

Well we did this tour on our 5/7 cruise with NCL and had a blast- just be sure to bring some eye protection and a swimsuit. It really was a grat tour but didn't allow you to "open up" on the ATV. It was nice though because there were people who had never ridden before and they were able to enjoy it also

• 11 years later...

Hi, has anyone resently gone on this excursion? I'm cruising on Carnival with my family and have teen boys that would like a fun ATV Adventure would this be thrilling for them? Trying to decide whether to book directly with the excursion company but I need the name of the company and contact information. My major concern booking directly is that I could end up scammed or very disappointed. It's my son's graduation gift and first cruise I want it to be a blast!

Please advise me...:)