Wheelchairs

My DH is having problems walking long distances - such as from one end of the ship to the other. Does Rccl have wheelchairs we can borrow or rent for the duration of the cruise? If so, can you keep it in your cabin?

When we needed a wheelchair for my MIL we had to rent one and bring it on the ship with us as RCCL told us they do not provide them for routine use by the passengers. You should check with customer service to be sure the policy is still the same. When we sailed with Princess they did have wheelchairs available for passenger use. You picked it up at the beginning of the cruise and kept it in the cabin.

Pushing a wheelchair can be a huge task. You should seriously consider renting a scooter. It's more comfortable for the person who needs it, fun to ride around on, and it's like a motorized bike. You can rent them for cruiseship use. If you contact RCCL they will give you the info.

when we were on the Explorer of the seas. in sept. 04 we needed a wheelchair for my husband. They politely gave us one and told us to keep it outside the cabin for the duration opf the cruise. We did and had no trouble.

just linda

Last Nov. on the Jewel, we were told we needed to rent one. RCL put us in touch with a company who had it in our cabin on the ship when we arrived. When we arrived at the ship, we just told a porter that we needed a wheelchair and he get a customer service rep with one, who took us onto the ship.

However, after boarding the ship, we found out that they do have wheelchairs for borrow, but on a first come first serve basis. Apparently, they do not like to tell people that because they don't want to be blamed if someone arrives too late to get one. So they recommend bringing your own.

The problem with the scooters is that they can not fit through your cabin door. I was told they only fit into handicap cabins. I would think it would be a hazard and inconvenience for others to leave it in the hallway all week.

My wife takes her scooter on every cruise. It has never failed to fit thru a doorway. We have had both handicapped and standard rooms. If this is a long term problem you might want to look into getting one. Airlines take them in baggage without cost and are always friendly about handling them.

Depends on the ship, I think as we were told we have to rent one for our upcoming cruise. An alternative is those type of walkers with wheels and a seat. You can push on them to use them as a walking assist and then stop and sit down.

Remember, you can't just go leaving things in the hallway. Besides being a nuisanse to the other passengers, they also have regulations on keeping the halways clear. Plan ahead.

We took an 87 year old church friend on two cruises. Both times we rented a wheelchair and brought it on board. No problem whatsoever, except when they were cleaning the hallways/rooms and had carts, etc., blocking the way. The second time we asked at the pier if we could be given a handicapped room. Fortune smiled and it was really helpful to our friend.

Depends on the ship, I think as we were told we have to rent one for our upcoming cruise. An alternative is those type of walkers with wheels and a seat. You can push on them to use them as a walking assist and then stop and sit down.

Remember, you can't just go leaving things in the hallway. Besides being a nuisanse to the other passengers, they also have regulations on keeping the halways clear. Plan ahead.

The chair was not blocking any thing we were careful of that. the cabin we had had a spot just perfect for the chair.

I just returned from the Voyager and I rented an electric scooter to have because the ship was so big it was hard for me to walk the length. I don't use anything at home but thought I would need one while I was gone. It was a life saver for me and my family. I called Care Vacations in Miami and they had the scooter in my room all charged up and when we left at the end of the cruise we left the scooter in our room. My travel agent had told RCCL and Delta that I would need assistance when I changed planes and also boarding the ship. RCCL had someone waiting for me with a wheelchair and they took me all the way thru regristration and to our room. Most people on the ship were kind about me having the scooter but then again you find some that will hate you having it. The only trouble on the cruise was if you tried to get on the elevator between the dinner times. Hope this helps you some. If you have any questions that I might can help with just email me at Checks3653@aol.com.

my mom borrowed a wheelchair during our cruise on Voyager in 2002. We were in a balcony room, so the closet was big enough to park it in there when she was in the room. They are not consistent with the wheelchair policy. When you call the 800 line, some will tell you to rent one and others say they are available on first come first serve; however, once you get on the ship, if you arrive early, you can borrow one. They even let my mom take hers off the ship-they just reminded us not to lose sight of it which we certaintly didn't as she did not get out of it.

Also, the dining room staff was always helpful, there was always someone there volunteering to help wheel her to the table and out of the dining room even though there was more than enough of us at our table that could have done so.

Archived