Question about PCs

3pcmom

I just read our travel documents and they said you should register you equipment such as cameras, lenses, PCs, etc with customs before you go. Customs could possibly not let you bring it back into the USA without proof it was yours. Has anyone had any trouble bringing their stuff back into the US? We have never even had anyone look at our cameras before. If you do register them - how do you do it.

Thanks so much,

Karen

We're leaving on the Maasdam on May 1st. Hope I have enough time if I need to register all this stuff

I have done it with high value items,which could conceivably be purchased inexpensively in countries to which I was travelling. Camera/lens, wristwatch.

It involved going to a Customs office (I used the ones in international airports) and getting receipts from them. You will need serial numbers. This said, in each instance the Customs agents were bemused and stated that while there is a bureaucratic procedure for this, and the appropriate forms, etc, they were not overwhelmed with registrants. (I had been their only customer ever).

So, there it is. Generally, if you are a 'normal' traveller, don't worry about it. DO declare whetever you do buy abroad.

Give them a call tomorrow and ask. They are pretty reasonable people, right up to the time you joke about smuggling diamonds in your hair dryer.

Cheers and have a great Maasdam cruise; she's a great ship.

MarkB

I did register all my camera equipment when I was traveling as a journalist. It was just easier to do than to worry about it. Also, it gave me a better record for my insurance company, in case anything was stolen. If it had been registered with the Customs Department I guess they felt less inclined to think I might be trying to bilk them of thousands of dollars!!

I also took our cameras to our local Customs office and had them prepare the declaration for me. It's never been a problem ... but it wasn't a whole lot of trouble to avoid an issue should it ever come up. I think that most people will have no problems; but those who leave on all those stickers that came on their cameras and don't take them off might send a signal to a Customs agent that the camera is new ... having just been purchased abroad.

Thanks so much for all the information. I'll check into it, but probably look innocent and hope for the best. Since I have a whole lot of old stuff on my pc, it would be a little hard to assume it was a new pc.

Archived