Eden Rock and Royal Palms in 4 Hours?

max2732

We will be in Grand Cayman Wednesday March 28th. We would like to do some snorkeling and also experience the beautiful Seven Mile Beach. Is there time to go to Eden Park for snorkeling and then also to Royal Palms for the beach?

If anyone knows how much it costs to go from the port to Eden Park, from Eden Park to Royal Palms and then back to the port, please let me know.

I'm also curious how long we will spend in the taxi/bus.

Thanks in advance!

The $4 is per person, each way. The taxis are more like shuttle vans, so you'll have other people in the vehicle with you.

No need for a taxi to Eden Rock from the port. As you exit the terminal, turn right and follow the street along water until you see the signs. Paradise Restaurant is the first spot, the Eden Rock dive center is the second. Both have ladders to access generally the same snorkeling areas. The walk should probably take you anywhere from 3-8 minutes, depending on your walking speed and which terminal (north, south or royal watler) you arrive at.

I'm coming in on the Carnival Valor. I'm pretty sure we tender. Do you know which dock the tenders go to (not sure if that varies)? Thanks.

All large cruise ship tender at GC, usually in George Town (sometimes at an all together different location, Spotts Beach, during foul weather).

With a very steady breeze and a good set of lungs, the north and south terminals are within spitting distance of each other.

I just found this site: http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules_details.php?id=57508

Which says:

Carnival Valor

Carnival Cruise Line

Arriving Mar 28 2012 7:00AM and

Leaving Mar 28 2012 4:00PM

Passenger Capacity of 2,974

Arrived Passengers 2,974

Gross Tonnage of 110,239

Berth: Anchorage 3

Terminal: Royal

I assume that means Royal Walter. It looks like a hefty walk from there to Eden Rock. Are we walking along the main highway? Is there a sidewalk? Do cabs run between these two points? I'd gladly pay $5 for what would probably be a 1 minute drive.

I assume that means Royal Walter. It looks like a hefty walk from there to Eden Rock. Are we walking along the main highway? Is there a sidewalk? Do cabs run between these two points? I'd gladly pay $5 for what would probably be a 1 minute drive.

Coming in at Royal Watler makes it the 8 minute or so walk to Eden Rock, at a leisurely pace, along sidewalks through the main part of the downtown tourist area. It's an easy walk, especially in March. (July, it's not as nice a walk due to the heat, but March, no problem.)

You will have a lot of trouble finding a taxi willing to take you to Eden Rock, especially during the peak arrival time. The taxis are shuttle vans, and take multiple parties per trip. Eden Rock is in the opposite direction from 98% of the taxi passenger traffic, and it would be hard for them to fill a van for that direction. And, due to traffic (vehicle and pedestrian) through the downtown area, it would probably take longer to drive to Eden Rock than it would to just walk there... :D

Ok, you've convinced me that if I go to Eden Rock, I'll walk. If the goal is quality snorkeling followed by some relaxation on a pretty beach, do you think I've picked the right locations, or would you suggest another?

I just stumbled across Smith Barcadere which is further south than Eden Rock (clearly a cab ride) but seems to have both snorkeling and beach in one. Know anything about it?

I just stumbled across Smith Barcadere which is further south than Eden Rock (clearly a cab ride) but seems to have both snorkeling and beach in one. Know anything about it?

We've driven past it, but never stopped. Looks nice enough from the road. There's been some reviews on CC and TripAdvisor about it, likely under its former name Smith Cove. It's definitely a taxi ride, and you'd likely have to walk to the restaurant next door when you were done to have them call a taxi for the return trip since there wouldn't be any waiting in the area.

Archived