Strangest thing you've seen... In the water

joshd33

The best thing (although not strange) were tuna diving while we were just off the coast of the Outer Banks. They looked to be the size of small cars!! My husband (who is an avid fisherman) was jumping and yelling like a little kid. It was awesome to see.

When we were on the Conquest back in '06 we suddenly stopped in the middle of the ocean early in the morning.. Maybe like 6 am ish.. we were still sleeping when the ship started shaking and came to a stop. Luckily we had a balcony and were lucky enough to be on the right side of the ship, so when we went out to the balcony we saw a little boat full of men! It was crazy.. they were near the back of the ship, and we later learned that they were given some supplies. They were all waiving and cheering when they left. It was so cool!

IMGP0050.jpg

IMGP0062.jpg

In Nassau this past month, we saw what we think was a lionfish.... it was very weird looking and had no idea what it could possible be until we saw a shirt a few hours later with one screen printed on it, and realized it looked alot like our mystery fish.

We were snorkleing and a man had taken some smalll cereal boxes form the ship to feed the fish. He took the cereal out of the box (left it in the bag) put the bag in his inside swim pocket, he was swimming along the bag disintegrated and the cereal starting coming out his suit. Naturally all the small fish decided to swim up his suit to get to the food. OMG I was laughing so hard at the expression on his face :eek:

I did something similar once. I had a pack of skittles in my pocket that I forgot about. lol

In Nassau this past month, we saw what we think was a lionfish.... it was very weird looking and had no idea what it could possible be until we saw a shirt a few hours later with one screen printed on it, and realized it looked alot like our mystery fish.

Lionfish need to be killed on the spot in the Caribbean. They are not native there, have no predators and are killing marine life in the Caribbean.

The best thing (although not strange) were tuna diving while we were just off the coast of the Outer Banks. They looked to be the size of small cars!! My husband (who is an avid fisherman) was jumping and yelling like a little kid. It was awesome to see.

I about soiled my wetsuit the first time I saw a Golitah Grouper.

We rented a beach house on Florida's Emerald Coast last summer. One afternoon the water was rough due to a storm. The pod of dolphins we had been seeing all week in the distance began surfing the waves. They were clearly having fun and coming in pretty close to shore. We were boogie-boarding about 50 yeards from them. A helicoptor tour was hovering overhead.

Snorkeling in Hawaii a few years ago, my husband and I saw an octopus changing colors. It flashed through several colors. I didn't even know they did that!

Picture this: We were on a b2b on the Caribbean Princess during hurricane season, every evening the ship would be engulfed by thick fog and the sea was like glass. The fog was eerie and the silence became defening. No rain, no wind, and not a sound from this ship or its passengers. We'd sit out for hours, sipping coffee and watching hundreds of bats dive in and out of the ships now, subdued lights, hunting the insects they attracted. This was shortly after the release of the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Lightening would move in and out of the fog reaching for the ship, but always falling short. One evening while watching mother nature at her best we see a brown parcel wrapped package, finished off with hemp twine adorning the top with a bow, float eerily past. Slowly it bobbed its way along the side of the ship and then disappeared behind us to fight the wake. It was shocking to say the least! We still wonder where it had initially been headed to, who was missing it? Who had sent it? And the million dollar question, what was inside? It was a rather large package, probably a good 20x20. We still wonder about that package to this very day.

Sounds like square grooper!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lionfish need to be killed on the spot in the Caribbean. They are not native there, have no predators and are killing marine life in the Caribbean.

Unfortunately I did not find that out until after we got back home and I started researching to try to verify that was what it was. I felt bad after reading that, but I had no clue at the time that we saw it that it actually was one, and had no clue about the situation until days later.

I saw the same thing last week while in Cabo. They looked like they were having fun.

I too saw a hammerhead shark in Port Canaveral about 3 years ago, we were on the Monarch of the Seas still docked. Had just boarded and eating in the Windjammer having lunch. Looked down and there it was. Swam there right on the surface for about 15 minutes. Very Cool!!

For me when I was tendering from the Carnival Paradise to Catalina Island,Ca when we saw a HUGE pod of local dolphins crossing our tender! it was nutts seeing so many dolphins! our tender stopped & let theem all pass! all i could say is WOW!

My 2nd strange thing in the water is the NCL EPIC, that is one strange looking thing!!!!! a ship only a mother can love for beauty!:D:eek:

We went on a whale watching tour from Long Beach in 2000, we never saw any whales, but we ended up surrounded by thousands of dolphins. They were spinners, and there were hundreds of pods, as far as we could see, jumping and playing and swimming along with our boat. They were everywhere, I have never imagined anything like it.

We have seen this on two cruises now, it's amazing!

One year we were heading out to sea from Port Canaveral we saw a very large hammerhead shark, and a few big sea turtles. It was swimming right next to the ship.

On our Mexican Riviera cruise in 2009, the morning we were docked in Cabo, we went out to our balcony early that morning, and there were some type of Ray's jumping out of the water and slapping down on top of the water. It was very sunny and there were lots of them. No idea what they were doing, but it looked like they were playing/sunning themselves. It was really something to see.

Here is a picture of that in Cabo! It was amazing to see,

splendor046.jpg

The most amazing thing I have ever seen was while on the NCL Star on an Alaskan cruise. DH and I were the only ones out on the deck. We were just staring into the ocean when all of a sudden a large killer whale and a tiny baby killer whale jumped completely out of the water right in front of us. They were so close it seemed like we could almost reach out and touch them. It was so amazing seeing them in the wild like that with the whole ocean to swim in.

On the Glory from New York to Halifax or Nova Scotia (I don't remember which day it was) two years ago, we saw a group of killer whales at sunset. There were 8 or 9 adults and 2 smaller ones. We watched them for about 45 minutes before they were out of sight. They were coming up out of the water, spouting water, and one of the adults jumped out of the water. It was so beautiful!

Archived