Sea to Sky Highway

We will be arriving into Vancouver on July 2nd and plan to rent a car and head up to Whistler for two night before returning to Vancouver on July 4th in the am. We then will be boarding our ship on July 5th.

Question: What are the most scenic pull off points along the Sea to Sky Highway? Also, can anyone recommend a place to stop for lunch along the way? We will be arriving on the 2nd from an East Coast Flight and it will be lunchtime for us or are we better off grabbing a bite to eat at the airport before heading out.

Thank you.

When you leave the Vancouver airport on your way to Whistler you must drive thru Vancouver to get to the highway to Whistler....lots of restaurants along the way

I would suggest enjoying a wonderful lunch in one of the restaurants in Stanley Park as you drive thru the park on your way to the Lions Gate Bridge - enjoy either The Tea House Restaurant or the Fish House (skip Prospect Point as it has really gone donwhill)

then continue your drive over the Lions Gate Bridge and to Whistler

Do stop at Britannia Beach and enjoy the "Mining Museum" well worth the time.

I would likely drive through the city, get over the Lions Gate bridge and then stop at Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver for lunch. Offerings would include the Boathouse, Bay Moorings or Trolls. In fact you could get some fish and chips to go at Trolls and go and eat them in the park. There are any number of view spots along the highway and in a thread below Ut provided a link to a video of the highway which you may find interesting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1598675

Years is right, some 66 years and it is still run by the Troll family. I knew Gary Troll the son of the founder who is still there everyday and I wonder if if there is not another generation in the business now as Gary is certainly well into his 60's. Here is a link to their business.

http://trollsrestaurant.com/

Didn't one of the Troll's win the lottery years ago - my best friend's father was a regular there and knew the founder very well - any time I am out that way i will stop and pick up an order to go and walk across the street and watch the ferries come and go and help the local seagull population stay well fed.

I am told that there is indeed another generation of Troll's working there.

Cheers

Dennis

The restaurant was founded by Joe the dad, then taken over by Gary the son and it was he who won a big 6/49 lottery...that was some years ago, I am thinking 20 years ago. I had some business with Gary years ago when he tried to expand the brand, which sadly was a failure, and knew him through a mutual friend. That is what would lead me to believe that there would now be a 3rd generation involved now. However I know that Gary comes to the restaurant everyday and watches the till.:)

And I worked for Joe, the Dad after we moved to Horseshoe Bay about 1950. This was

after my first job with Tom Sewell refueling the rental boats.

Oh we are so far off topic....but who was Tommy Sewell's son....my mind has gone completely blank. I know for years they used Bill Hourston's boats but when you were there they hadn't invented fiberglass yet.:D

Archived