Certification dives: Aruba, Nassau, or Key West?

momK

I've seen some people do the Scuba Diver certification dives in one day, then the Open Water Certification dives another day.

But really, it's much easier to book 2 days of diving before or after your cruise in the embark/debark port city :)

These would be the open water dives.

Do you already have the Scuba Diver certification? If not, you will need 4 dives over 2 days for Open Water, so it's not really possible to do it on a cruise.

Do you already have the Scuba Diver certification? If not, you will need 4 dives over 2 days for Open Water, so it's not really possible to do it on a cruise.

The only way you can do it on a cruise ship is if the ship has its own instructor. Most don't. Most dive shops want you to do all your dives with them (no 2 in this port and 2 in that port).

There are several very good dive resorts in Key Largo. If you are going to do the classroom and pool work back in Michigan, check with your dive instructor or the dive shop to see if they have someone they favor down there (it is amazing how opinionated dive people are :D). They may also be able to get you discounts.

ken

• 4 weeks later...

The only way to get certified while on a cruise is if you find a ship that offers certification as a shore excursion option. It is a resort certification and not open water certification. I honestly believe you will enjoy your cruise more if you get certified before the cruise. There is a lot of time on your certification dives spent completing checkoff skills. You will be able to relax and enjoy the dives if you are already certified. You can complete your classroom work and poolwork at a local dive center then get a referral to a dive shop in Key Largo. Silent World Dive Center in Key Largo is the one we use in Key Largo and we have been really pleased.

• 4 weeks later...

not on a cruise..has to be done over 2 days..so,for certs,skip the cruise,and take a week in cozumel...great place to be,and great diving...i`ve dived all over the world,and always come back to coz...i should know,i`m an instructor

If I planned to do my certification dives in the warm waters south (we live in MI), which of these places would you recommend? Any particular dive shops?

Thanks!

It is always more enjoyable diving in the warmer water, but I would recommend getting certified prior to going on a cruise. Live in Ma so I know what you mean but well worth getting it done at a LDS.

Archived