Lamanai Ruins?

bklsmom

We've been to Belize several times and alway have done private tours. We have done, Caye Caulker/shark ray alley snorkel, Goeffs caye with driving our own little boat over/snorkel, River wallace/Altun Ha, and last time captain your own boats, all were exceptional tours and got us back in plenty of time. However, we really want to go to Lamanai Ruins and Carnival doesn't offer this and feeling a bit risky about doing them privatly because of the distance, that includes a hour bus/van ride each way and hour boat rided each way, plus touring the ruins. We are in Port from 8AM to 5Pm, but we know how these tours don't leave the dock till like 9:30 usually by the tiime they wait for everyone in the group to tender in. Belize is not known for keeping their equipment/boats and busses in good running order. If a boat or bus should break down....oh that scares me time wise. Who has done this one privatly, and how much time to spare was there when you returned? Just need to ease my inner soul before booking this one!

• 11 months later...

We sail on the Legend March 31st. Our travel agent recommends ShoreTrips - they guarantee you will get back on time or they get you to the next port (supposedly). I am probably booking Lamanai through them tomorrow.

Rod from Seattle

We did these ruins with Island Marketing about two years ago & made it back with close to one hour to spare. And that was after having a nice leisurely lunch after getting off the speed boat.

But, I don't know how long our ship was in port that day ?

It was a fun tour with lots of interesting things to see going up & back down the river & of course at the ruins.

Bill in FL

Last year we did the Lamanai and River excursion on our Christmas cruise on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas. We booked directly through the cruiseline. With the travel time and excursion time combined it was a long day but well worth it.

It was a good thing I booked it through the cruise line. Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back and we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship.

Very glad we hadn't booked with a private company. I'm not sure the ship would have waited for us.

My wife took a lot of pictures. If you would like to see the slide show that she made, you can click on the link below. The slide show will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Here is the link http://nancysoasis.com/belize/belize.html

Happy Cruising!

We did these ruins with Island Marketing about two years ago & made it back with close to one hour to spare. And that was after having a nice leisurely lunch after getting off the speed boat.

But, I don't know how long our ship was in port that day ?

It was a fun tour with lots of interesting things to see going up & back down the river & of course at the ruins.

Bill in FL

Hi Bill,

We are stopping in Belize City in Dec. 2013. Did your excursion leave on time? I am interested in this group because my older kids will love the speed(ish) boats. Did they mention a back up plan if the bus/boat broke down? Thanks for you input. Billie (originally from DeLand)

Hi Bill,

We are stopping in Belize City in Dec. 2013. Did your excursion leave on time? I am interested in this group because my older kids will love the speed(ish) boats. Did they mention a back up plan if the bus/boat broke down? Thanks for you input. Billie (originally from DeLand)

Hey Billie

Yes I think that we did leave very close to on time, probably due to the tight travel time.

I heard no talk of an alternative plan if something broke down, as I recall.

You could inquire that of them thru email ?

The speed boat ride was as much fun as anything else on the trip & we are not new to boating.

We do have a son who lives in Deleon Springs & works in Deland. Nice area of old FL.

Enjoy your trip !!

We had a great time on the Lamanai tour with Belize Cruise Excursions. It is a long tour but they had us back in time. They told us we wouldn't have much time once we were back in port so we excpected that.

The tour is really amazing. The river boat ride, incredible and the ruins are really interesting. Its a great tour and they seem to have it together with the times as they run it for cruise ship passengers only so the times are set for the ship arrivals and departures.

I will email them this week about backup plans. My kids have grown up boating

, so I'm happy they will be amused. If you ever get the chance, try the Mill restaurant for breakfast inside DeLeon Springs State Park. You make your own pancakes at your table. It's fun. Thanks again. Billie

Archived