Any pictures of the open portion of S-class promenad

Dena

Thanks, Bobbi. That is a nice picture. It looks like there is no plexiglass to block the view of the ocean. I think we would like this area.

I am also interested in the deck where the lifeboats block the view of the ocean.

There are some areas without lifeboats. On Princess that entire deck in called the promenad deck and the lifeboats don't block the view. In my opinion, this is becoming one of the few advantages for Princess: since it is on a lower deck without Plexiglas, it gives me a place close to the water but also in the shade. I am trying to figure out if I can reasonably expect a similar experience on Celebrity as long as I can find a lounge chair on the open portion of this deck, I am not sure what Celebrity calls this deck - I guess they would be ashamed to call it the Promenad Deck. If you (or anyone) has a picture of this area, please post.

Nice photo, but this is the Lido deck, not the Promenade deck.

Here is a photo of the Eclipse's Promenade deck:

eclipse_promenade_deck.jpg

Thanks Boogs! This photo does not make it look that great. But I remain hopeful that the areas without the lifeboats are nice and not too crowded.

Here's a few photos from around the silhouette

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150602320653325.388602.527593324&type=3&l=5152984dbe

Photo deck 5 outside Cafe al Bacio

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150600406578325&l=bf4a5935f7

Not sure if this helps

Thanks, Staffy! I enjoyed all the pictures. It looks like I can find a spot to sit on the promenad deck in the shade. They chairs look comfortable too even though they are not lounge chairs.

Unless you are a smoker, be sure to go to the starboard side. The port side of the Promenade deck is one of the few areas where smoking is permitted, so a chair will be harder to come by and there may be several people smoking. The starboard side is not heavily used (most people prefer to be on the higher decks when outdoors on Celebrity), so you should be able to find a chair - hopefully in an area that offers a good view. I did not spend too much time outdoors on deck five, so I do not recall if some of the chairs are located in areas with good viewing; if not it might be possible to slide them over to a better spot (not sure if they are tied up or can be moved).

Unless you are a smoker, be sure to go to the starboard side. The port side of the Promenade deck is one of the few areas where smoking is permitted, so a chair will be harder to come by and there may be several people smoking. The starboard side is not heavily used (most people prefer to be on the higher decks when outdoors on Celebrity), so you should be able to find a chair - hopefully in an area that offers a good view. I did not spend too much time outdoors on deck five, so I do not recall if some of the chairs are located in areas with good viewing; if not it might be possible to slide them over to a better spot (not sure if they are tied up or can be moved).

My balcony on starboard side of Solstice was on deck 6, and I frequently smelled cigarette smoke from passersby. I even saw a couple of smokers through their butts over the rail, which made me want to through THEIR butts over the rail! They are not supposed to smoke on starboard side, and if you were sitting in those chairs and a smoker sat down, you would be within your rights to ask him to either put the cigarette out or to leave the area. It is stated very clearly that smoking is permitted only on the port side.

Those chairs do offer a nice view of the ocean.

My balcony on starboard side of Solstice was on deck 6, and I frequently smelled cigarette smoke from passersby. I even saw a couple of smokers through their butts over the rail, which made me want to through THEIR butts over the rail! They are not supposed to smoke on starboard side, and if you were sitting in those chairs and a smoker sat down, you would be within your rights to ask him to either put the cigarette out or to leave the area. It is stated very clearly that smoking is permitted only on the port side.

Those chairs do offer a nice view of the ocean.

I wouldn't want to be there if there are smokers. I hope they do stay on the port side.

I wouldn't want to be there if there are smokers. I hope they do stay on the port side.

On our Solstice TA, with many European passengers (who are rumored to be heavy smokers), even the port side of the Promenade Deck (Deck 5) was very lightly used. There were quite a few old-fashioned full-length teak deck chairs with pads facing the ocean through glass railings with a great views of the water. Chairs were always available and even though I'm a non-smoker, was never bothered by smoke. It was one of my favorite places to read and view dolphins, whales and flying fish. There was a much closer connection to the ocean than on one of the upper decks. On occasion, my partner and I were the only ones out there, even on warm days.

Archived