TSA is ruining my wedding

My guests (okay 1 who have blabbed to like 2 others) are weary about providing their passport information and/or DL # in an insecure format.

My invitations have not even gone out yet, but in talking with a friend about RSVP cards, she responded that she didn't want to provide her DL# ahead of time unless there was a secure means to do so. She has me worried that others may feel the same way.

What to do? What did you do? Can guests bring their DL and birth certificates, like passengers w/o a passport?

My guests (okay 1 who have blabbed to like 2 others) are weary about providing their passport information and/or DL # in an insecure format.

My invitations have not even gone out yet, but in talking with a friend about RSVP cards, she responded that she didn't want to provide her DL# ahead of time unless there was a secure means to do so. She has me worried that others may feel the same way.

What to do? What did you do? Can guests bring their DL and birth certificates, like passengers w/o a passport?

I asked the check-in ladies about it. The only way you can get around not providing this information ahead of time is if they are sailing (you would just list them as a sailing guest on your sheet) because Carnival will have that information. :-(

Would they be willing to call you with that information or is that they don't trust you with that information?

I think the problem is that TSA, through Carnival, is requesting private information that guests at other weddings would not have to provide and it is making some of Herbaltees' guests uncomfortable due to privacy protection. Feel free to correct me, Herbaltees. :-D

I only had one person not come to my wedding because they didn't want to give me their ID information. And I think it's ridiculous that someone say they aren't going to a wedding because of paranoia over giving over their drivers license #. What exactly is someone going to do with it? It's not like a social security number or credit card number. I bet this person gives out their credit card number over the phone or through a website all the time and thinks nothing but it is far more likely for their credit card number to get stolen then for someone to do something illegal with their drivers license #.

In my opinion, anyone who means something to do you (and visa versa) will give you their information and get over their paranoia. Our paranoid friend was just a work friend of my husband's and has this crazy "the government is out to get me" attitude.

Don't let these people bring you down. I know it's difficult with having to retrieve information from so many people. I was making phone calls until the very last day the names and numbers were due to people who couldn't even bother to RSVP. Just know it pays off in the end and seriously, the important people will show up. Who cares about the rest?

Also, I was told TSA has nothing to do with it, it's actually Homeland Security. It makes perfect sense to me, you don't know what crazy people are going to do. Someone could easily show up and claim to be your wedding guest or stow away on the cruise ship, then they have no identification on who is going on or off the ship. I was not the only wedding going on during my embarkation day wedding so we're talking probably 140 people on the ship who aren't sailing, it makes perfect sense that the best way to keep track of everyone is with an ID number.

I think the problem is that TSA, through Carnival, is requesting private information that guests at other weddings would not have to provide and it is making some of Herbaltees' guests uncomfortable due to privacy protection. Feel free to correct me, Herbaltees. :-D

Yes, That is correct. And my guest (s) is not concerned with me having their information, it's me faxing it to carnival who stores this fax where before transmuting it to ???

Data Mining can be used in very mean ways.

I only had one person not come to my wedding because they didn't want to give me their ID information. And I think it's ridiculous that someone say they aren't going to a wedding because of paranoia over giving over their drivers license #. What exactly is someone going to do with it? It's not like a social security number or credit card number. I bet this person gives out their credit card number over the phone or through a website all the time and thinks nothing but it is far more likely for their credit card number to get stolen then for someone to do something illegal with their drivers license #.

In my opinion, anyone who means something to do you (and visa versa) will give you their information and get over their paranoia. Our paranoid friend was just a work friend of my husband's and has this crazy "the government is out to get me" attitude.

Don't let these people bring you down. I know it's difficult with having to retrieve information from so many people. I was making phone calls until the very last day the names and numbers were due to people who couldn't even bother to RSVP. Just know it pays off in the end and seriously, the important people will show up. Who cares about the rest?

Also, I was told TSA has nothing to do with it, it's actually Homeland Security. It makes perfect sense to me, you don't know what crazy people are going to do. Someone could easily show up and claim to be your wedding guest or stow away on the cruise ship, then they have no identification on who is going on or off the ship. I was not the only wedding going on during my embarkation day wedding so we're talking probably 140 people on the ship who aren't sailing, it makes perfect sense that the best way to keep track of everyone is with an ID number.

Yes, I agree with you. But this person was a victim of fraud in the past, someone was able to get a mortgage in their name. And oddly enough, you CAN do a lot with someones DL#.

My SIL-to-be, one of my bridesmaids, wasn't willing to give her and her husbands' DL numbers, out of fear of identify theft. They were kind of a pain about it, insisting that we had to find a way around them giving this info. We just said that we would miss them at the wedding, but that they couldn't come if they didn't give it. So they finally relented just 2 days ago, and my final list is due on Friday!

I think that they require the info in advance, rather than just taking IDs at the gate, because they want to check the names against watch lists etc. which they wouldn't have time to do instantaneously when people arrive for the wedding, so that makes sense.

My SIL-to-be, one of my bridesmaids, wasn't willing to give her and her husbands' DL numbers, out of fear of identify theft. They were kind of a pain about it, insisting that we had to find a way around them giving this info. We just said that we would miss them at the wedding, but that they couldn't come if they didn't give it. So they finally relented just 2 days ago, and my final list is due on Friday!

I think that they require the info in advance, rather than just taking IDs at the gate, because they want to check the names against watch lists etc. which they wouldn't have time to do instantaneously when people arrive for the wedding, so that makes sense.

It just upsets me even now and I am already married! lol I mean this is such an important day, your wedding day. You put in all of this work and time and people just try to present more issues to you. Like you don't have enough on your plate! I seriously think that they wouldn't do it if it was a risk to our privacy. I have never heard of someone saying "omg someone stole my identity because I went to a friend's wedding!" You know? Just suck it up and give me an ID number. :P Just know that when the day comes and it goes by so incredibly fast you'll be sitting in your wedding dress, in your cabin, married, about to sail off on your honeymoon and wondering how on earth the time went by so fast.

Yes, That is correct. And my guest (s) is not concerned with me having their information, it's me faxing it to carnival who stores this fax where before transmuting it to ???

Data Mining can be used in very mean ways.

Maybe call the wedding company and ask if there is anyway you can send it through a secure email.

I work at a credit union and when members can't come in to sign papers we sometimes send them that way. It is safer than faxing and maybe that will make your guests feel a little more at ease.

I swear, some people can't stand NOT making a fuss over SOMETHING. Collectively, we could probably write a book about guests behaving badly.

I would tell them that it's federal law that they give this info for security clearance to board the ship and if they're not willing to give the information then there is nothing you can do to get them on board. Period. End of story.

Fax, email and even snail mail are not fool proof ways to ensure that all of your information remains private 100% of the time. It's your wedding, you cant get stressed about their paranoia. At first I didn't understand that but then I adopted a "those who really want to be there will be there and the heck with everybody else" sort of attitude. I've been a lot less stressed ever since.

I agree with the other ladies on this thread - not what you need to be worrying about right now!

If it gives you any sense of solidarity, I was worried about guests getting upset over the same thing, and so far no one has said anything to me about it. DL #s are also not related to a SS # or anything that anyone could actually use to get more information about you, as someone else mentioned.

If they are still worried though, I agree with the person who said you could send it in a secure e-mail! Call your Carnival wedding planner and ask her if you can do this. At the very worst (and I hope it doesn't come to this but if it does, it's better than having guests not show up over something so trivial) you could always fax it and tell your guests that you sent it via secure e-mail or certified mail.

I agree with the other ladies on this thread - not what you need to be worrying about right now!

If it gives you any sense of solidarity, I was worried about guests getting upset over the same thing, and so far no one has said anything to me about it. DL #s are also not related to a SS # or anything that anyone could actually use to get more information about you, as someone else mentioned.

If they are still worried though, I agree with the person who said you could send it in a secure e-mail! Call your Carnival wedding planner and ask her if you can do this. At the very worst (and I hope it doesn't come to this but if it does, it's better than having guests not show up over something so trivial) you could always fax it and tell your guests that you sent it via secure e-mail or certified mail.

All good points, thank you.

Nope. I had the same issue with one of my guests and I just said I need it or they will not allow you to attend. They gave me the info in the end.

So my fiancé just reminded me today that one of my brothers does not have a DL or passport. He has a learner's permit but in MA they say "Not valid as photo ID" on them because they're paper. He is 19. What do they do for adults with no state ID? Does it mean they can't go?

So my fiancé just reminded me today that one of my brothers does not have a DL or passport. He has a learner's permit but in MA they say "Not valid as photo ID" on them because they're paper. He is 19. What do they do for adults with no state ID? Does it mean they can't go?

Oh, New England, and their temp paper IDs, how I miss these. In many states down here in the mid-Atlantic region, we do "state ID's" they aren't meant to be driver's license although they are issued by the DMV, but they do act as an official state identification. Does MA do anything like this? Your other option is to call Carnival and see what they say/suggest since the paper ID won't work.

Can't they get a non driver's ID?

tasha, the children only need a certified Birth Certificate and parent..

Jaded, that may be an issue... does he maybe have a picture work or school ID? to take with his birth certificate??? I would call carnival to be safe on this one.. yikes!

Would he have time to get state ID??? here it takes weeks and you only have 45 days... not enough time to get state ID here in CA

you can obtain a MA state ID that looks like a DL but sideways so it is printed the long way. You just want to make sure you order it about 3 weeks in advance so you get the real one in the mail. They can be obtained at the DMV. If he has his learners permit, he needs just bring that and his school id to get one.

Archived