Our AFT Balcony Experience

katiepe

Being an "aft snob", I don't want a cabin anywhere else.. That view can't be beat. Yes, It can get a bit warm, but that is fine with me!

Now as far as the soot and garbage issues goes, I have never had this happen to me. And, there is no passenger traffic "back there"!;)

I'll join the club:Donly thing better than an aft balcony is an aft wrap!

Sad to find when I booked later than usual all the afts were spoken for on upcoming cruise, so I booked a side view aft hoping for quiet corridor. The only time we observed any soot was when on the deck 8 wrap and even then only small amount on railing portion direct aft.

I've been on some windy side facing balconies, much prefer the direct afts and not bothered by heat in the summer there either, but we rarely would spend hours at one time out there.

We had our 1st aft this past February, the views were wonderful. On the second day I turned to my spouse and said I did not realize we also booked a smoking lounge. Each day we would have to pick up cigarette butts and wipe down the chairs from cigarette ash.:(

I will give a balcony one one try, maybe the 1st cabin forward.

We had an aft wrap on the Freedom and it was wonderful. I was absolutely amazed at the size. We had a group of 8 adults and we all were able to be on the balcony for arrivals and departures to ports. I believe the category is a 9C. I was lucky to snag one because of a cancellation. Would grab another is the opportunity arises.......especially when you have a group.

We love the aft wrap and have gotten lucky and booked it 3 diffrent times empress deck is great on the Glory and Conquest have it again for our may cruise ( only 39 days and 7 hrs WOOO HOOO Conquest again) :D:D

Wouldn't do another aft. Reasons - 1. too much movement side-to-side (and sometimes up and down) for me who suffers from motion sickness. 2. too much sun in the middle of the day (heat unbearable at times) 3. soot/ashes covered chairs, table, floor, rail (constantly wiping down!) 4. smokers on all sides (yes.. you do have the 'right' to smoke on your balcony however, I have the 'right' to breathe and enjoy my balcony too!) I have noticed that the smell of smoke is much stronger in the back than on the sides. (Less air movement I guess) Most neighbors we have had are very conscienceous when we are on our balcony (if they know we don't smoke) and I do appreciate that. Cigarettes/cigars give me extreme migraines! But I have noticed that the aft balconies seem to have more smokers. We did have an aft balcony at one time. Loved this! But the movement still made me very ill! Side balconies seem to be the way to go for us and that is ok. Not a problem for either of us...

We had an aft on the Glory a few years ago. It was in February, so the heat wasn't bad, but I didn't like the lack of privacy - when someone was standing at their rail, they could look right into the next balcony. There is something to be said about a nice nap in the afternoon on your own balcony, laying on your own sun lounge with the sound of the wake to totally take away the stresses of the world....ahhhhh

Yup, the lack of full privacy thing really bothers us too.......so our only afts have been wrap arounds.

But some people LIKE others looking their way ! So they're in better shape....less $$$$$$$$ needed !!!!

Thanks for the info. I thought smoking was no longer allowed on balconies!

Now wouldn't that be nice....It is allowed on all balconies but I wish they would have a smoking and a nonsmoking side of the ship so we don't all have to suffer the secondhand stink..

Or you can book an inside or oceanview cabin. There are plenty cabin options available (and public areas of the ship as well) that will "ensure your comfort". I think that the current arrangement is quite fair.

It is fair...to the smokers...

It is fair...to the smokers...

I think it is fair to the non-smokers as well, since over 50% of all cabins on the ship (insides, oceanviews, and spa balconies) are designated as non-smoking only. Only the standard balconies (non-spa) and suites have areas (the balcony) where smoking is permitted.

You gotta love how this has turned into a smoking vs non-smoking thread.

Anyway we were on the Freedom and had an Aft last month. This was the first time we had been in an Aft Balc.

We never had any soot, but did do a quick wipe down to remove some sea-spray most days.

As far as the heat, I did think it got a little hot when the sun was right behind the ship, but I ask this question... if you have a Port (Left) side regular balcony, and the ship is heading West, wouldn't you have the sun beating down on you all day? The heading East, you would never see the sun. The nice thing about the Aft, is during any given day, you will have sun and shade.

As far as neighbors go, yes there is less privacy, but it seemed to me that everyone knows this and all of our neighbors were polite and mostly sat in chairs where you could not see into the next balcony. Also on Conquest Class ships, while you are seated, the rooms above you cannot see in your balocny.

The motion never did bother us, but we were awaken every morning by the "thrusters". but I am sure all Aft rooms have that issue.

Be aware that on the Freedom deck 6, the 2 center Aft balconies rooms are about 6 inches more narrow than a regular room. It is very tight getting around the bed.

We loved our Aft and will go out of our way to get one on all future cruises.

-F-

We had an aft on our Miracle cruise last October and while I LOVED the view and the quiteness of the halls, that was the only things I liked about them.

Too far from other parts of the ship and we do not get sick on cruises but that rocking motion was nauseating at times. I also felt with the angle of the balcony you lost too much room. I think the extended or premium would be better...

I have done regular balconies and the Aft on the Legend. I prefer the regular balcony - my cousin who was around the corner from our cabin with a regular balcony got MUCH better pictures of Hurricane Ida's waves hitting the boat - I got pictures of rain and a few waves in the distance (while my daughter and her mother stayed in bed with a bad case of sea-sickness). I love to look out the side of the balcony and watch the sea go by - can't do that in the aft.

Next cruise has no balconies - going for the OV - REALLY wish I had a balcony...

You gotta love how this has turned into a smoking vs non-smoking thread.

Anyway we were on the Freedom and had an Aft last month. This was the first time we had been in an Aft Balc.

We never had any soot, but did do a quick wipe down to remove some sea-spray most days.

As far as the heat, I did think it got a little hot when the sun was right behind the ship, but I ask this question... if you have a Port (Left) side regular balcony, and the ship is heading West, wouldn't you have the sun beating down on you all day? The heading East, you would never see the sun. The nice thing about the Aft, is during any given day, you will have sun and shade.

As far as neighbors go, yes there is less privacy, but it seemed to me that everyone knows this and all of our neighbors were polite and mostly sat in chairs where you could not see into the next balcony. Also on Conquest Class ships, while you are seated, the rooms above you cannot see in your balocny.

The motion never did bother us, but we were awaken every morning by the "thrusters". but I am sure all Aft rooms have that issue.

Be aware that on the Freedom deck 6, the 2 center Aft balconies rooms are about 6 inches more narrow than a regular room. It is very tight getting around the bed.

We loved our Aft and will go out of our way to get one on all future cruises.

-F-

Funny we expected to be awakened by the thrusters and werent but then we are very early risers anyway.

I cant see how the deck 8 afts could look down on us but maybe they could. We couldnt see them at all.And we could see Deck 6 aft passengers but only if they were right at their rails.

And I did just want to say for those now worried about second hand smoke..I actually am an "occasional" smoker and I was often out on the balcony by myself not smoking and while I could see that the others beside me were smoking I never got the smoke on/in my balcony and most certainly not while the ship was moving. BTW I can not be in a car with smoking.

But again this was not meant to be a smoking/nonsmoking thread. I simply wanted everyone to be aware of how great we thought our aft was with the caveats mentioned.

Archived