cruising Celebrity with a 9 yr old

K L B

We were on Freedom of the Seas in January with our son (8) and it was perfect for us. Lots for us to do, lots for him to do. He's picky about kids clubs but was happy to go there for a few hours while we had a leisurely dinner in the dining room. He loved the splash park, and the evening shows were entertaining for him.

This year I'm thinking of booking on Oasis, but I am also considering Celebrity (we've never cruised with Celebrity before). It appears to me that it is a step up on service and style meter, but I'm worried about losing the fun & active side that RCL brings to the cruise experience. Is it an older crowd, and perhaps not as family friendly for someone travelling with a 9 year old?

Does anyone have feedback on travelling with a 7-12 year old, and the activities/facilities offered? We'd be travelling in early January, just after Christmas.

We have cruised with Celebrity with our two sons who have spanned the ages from 6 to 11 (including 9) while on Celebrity. They both like kids clubs (because of the video and computer games, largely) and are anxious to get there when it opens and want to stay until it closes. The kids clubs offer more than just electronics with other organized activities including scavenger hunts, games, etc.

While the kids program on Celebrity is quite good, if your son is touchy about the kids clubs, there aren't as many kid friendly activities outside of the clubs as are on RCCL, Disney, etc. For example, there aren't any water slides, rock climbing walls, zip lines, ropes courses, and the like. The Solstice class ships have a splash zone/colored light/fountain thing, that entranced our then 8-year old for a couple of hours. Three of the Solstice class ships also offer the hot glass show, which a 9 year old would like. Another thing to consider is that the indoor pools (including the M-class Thallossotherapy pools) are adult only zones.

Additionally, and this might be a good thing or a bad thing, the January time period is a time period where it is unlikely that there will be many kids your son's age on board. U.S. schools are in session during that time.

Archived