Breakaway Tendering

scfa99

I'm interested to see if anyone else is concerned about the ability for the Breakaway to tender during its Bahamas itinerary to GSC.

I remember when the EPIC was launched and everyone said there is no way a ship that size would schedule a tender port. To date the EPIC hasn't tendered (as far as I know). After watching how slow the tendering process was during a recent GEM cruise to GSC I can't imagine how they will be able to move 1600+ additional passengers (double occupancy) in an efficient manner from the Breakaway to the island. I realize not everyone goes on the island but what if an additional 1000 want to go ashore.

The only options I can think of is to double the amount of tenders by using 2 access points or put in a permanent dock in GSC which is not part of the GSC upgrade.

As you can see the Breakaway and EPIC have a very similar occupancy as opposed to the Jewel class ships.

Breakaway

Passenger Capacity: 4,000 (double occupancy)

Gross Register Tonnage: 144,017

Overall Length: 1,062 feet

EPIC

Passenger Capacity: 4,100 (double occupancy)

Gross Register Tonnage: 155,873

Overall Length: 1,081 feet

GEM

Passenger Capacity: 2,394 (double occupancy)

Gross Register Tonnage: 93,530

The craft NCL uses at Great Stirrup cay are the large high capacity tenders that were removed from the SS Norway. The Little Norway I and Little Norway II have a capacity of 450. Most ships that call at GSC only use the shipboard tenders to move supplies and trash back and forth.

Here is more info than you could want on the GSC tenders:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captainsvoyage/little_Norway_I_and_II.html

I'm sure there will be two points of loading for tenders just as they use two gangways in ports!

I could be wrong but don't ships have to tender in to Belize?? The Epic spent some time there during her first season in the Caribbean.

Belize? Nope, Epic has never been there. She went to Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel only.

Archived