pool chairs saved?

thefog

I seriously wanted to take some of those unattended $22 towels, but I never could bring myself to do it.

I've rarely seen the chairs saved with the Carnival towels. But I have to tell you, I crack up when I see two chairs saved with one pair of shoes (one shoe per chair). It's almost obvious the second person was never even there in the first place. I have been tempted to partake in the reading of the Cosmos, Harpers, Mademoiselles, and In Styles that lie around though.

It is so prevalent these days and I really appreciate the ships that enforce the no saving chairs rule.

You appreciate the ships that enforce the rule? Which ships? Does a No Chair Saving Ship exist that I'm not aware of!? :eek: As for my last cruise, the chair saving was rampant. I asked one of the "security" what could be done, since I could point out a few chairs that had been abandoned for a long time. He basically said, "It happens all the time. You have to watch for when people start packing their stuff up and ask them if you could have the chair when they're done." Gee thanks. :(

Hey, I'm from NYC - if you chair save with reckless abandon, I wil repo with equal and opposite force, and with a smile, to boot!

You see? You seem to be able to do this with reckless abandon. It definitely won't "spoil your day" to do it. As for myself, I'd feel awful the whole time. And I'd be scanning people walking by, adrenaline pumping, ready for "the confrontation".

If someone comes up to the chair looking for them I'll simply tell them that they should check with a staff member.

When I leave a chair I will do the opposite. I will put a note on the chair, that I am temporarily away (pool, drink, restroom etc...) but will return shortly. I will then put the time that I left on the note and explain that if I am gone for more than 30 minutes that the person wanting the chair should feel free to move my items.

Does this all sound too anal?

Doesn't sound too anal at all. I don't think I'd be able to actually remove their things and hand them over to staff, though. That's cruisin' for a bruisin' if you ask me. But if you have the chutzpah to do it, more power to ya.

I like the notes that you're considering leaving on your chair though. I might consider pre-printing some at home. Trouble is, I'd need a chair to leave them on in the first place! ;)

Another idea is to leave a note on the chair that you've noticed has been vacant for a while. So let's say you write: "This chair has been vacant since 11:10am" Then let it go for whatever reasonable time you'd give. (I think 30 minutes is just a tad quick, an hour is just a tad long, so in my case, let's say 45 minutes.) When they come back hollering, show them the note and say "too bad". I might be able to pull this one off; it gives me some kind of credibility. Even funnier would be if they came back 10 minutes later and saw the note. They might get paranoid that Carnival is enforcing their rules, which might lead to less chair saving.

The other problem is that (even on this thread) people have a different idea of what the reasonable time is. Ranging from 15 minutes to an hour. That's a big gap. I'd be tempted to make a POLL about it, but I assume I'd be told "there's already a thread about this".

Oh no, you didn't offend. Like I said a lot of us around here recognize each other by their avatars. I was just suprised when I started reading something I thought I had written because I recognized my photo and then discovered it wasn't me. Hey, as you get older you tend to do a lot of things and then forget them later.:p I've read some of your posts on the whip cream thread you guys sound like fun. You should join us on the Saints & Sinners cruise 10/06. I'm sure there will be plenty of reddi whip available there.;)

Thanks....have already registered...just waiting for Kevin to send me an email.

Not sure where he found this dolphin hope it doesn't belong to someone else...seems to be generic....I usually post with a dolphin or mermaid (on whatever board I'm on) it's just hard to find one with less than 100x100 pixels.

Isn't the problem here that there are not enough chairs? I just read a review from an April 05 Conquest cruiser who said they couldn't ever get a chair. That is really disconcerting to me as we are cruising on the conquest June 12th and have 3 - count them - 3 days at sea. Going to the topless area is not really an option as my kids won't be able to come get me if need be. Why doesn't Carnival have an extra supply of chairs in a closet somewhere that people can ask for when the others are taken?

Well, I guess you could take some chairs down (they generally have stacks of them), and stack them on top of one another :p The problem is not only chairs, but ROOM for chairs... you can generally find a spot away from the pool, grab a chair and everything is fine...

Boy, I sure like to thank everyone who responded to chairs saved. I didn't think it would cause this hot of a topic but it is annoying for us to get up that early to lay out and get some sun and have books and towels on these chairs from one end of the ship to the other. :o

Thanks....have already registered...just waiting for Kevin to send me an email.

Not sure where he found this dolphin hope it doesn't belong to someone else...seems to be generic....I usually post with a dolphin or mermaid (on whatever board I'm on) it's just hard to find one with less than 100x100 pixels.

So glad you guys are going to join us. Drop by the S&S thread and say hello. We're all a bunch of crazies over there.:D

Why doesn't Carnival have an extra supply of chairs in a closet somewhere that people can ask for when the others are taken?

From what I've noticed, the problem isn't necessarily the lack of chairs. It's the lack of space to put the chairs, in the main area on the Lido deck. People who have wrap-around balconies often ask the steward for a chair. If quantity were a problem, this wouldn't happen.

As I've mentioned, I could sometimes find a couple of chairs between the two glass wind-barriers, on the side of the ship. Also on the "Euro Deck" (top-optional). The problem is that people want to be where the action is, and close to the bars & pools. I'm reasonable enough not to want that on every day at sea. But I'd like to enjoy it at least once during my cruise. Like you, on my next cruise, I have only 3 days at sea.

Think about it: It would be impossible to have a chair available for every passenger, in every area. The dining room can't even handle us all at once, so forget the Lido deck.

It boils down to Cruiser Consideration. And when that fails (every time), it comes down to Vigilante Cruise Justice or people who go without. Carnival has to step up to the plate.

You know what would be a good idea? I know people are gonna flame me like I've never been flamed before. Charging per chair, per hour. You get one raffle ticket stub per hour that you've rented the chair. Instead of Carnival getting that money, they make a lottery at the end, with all the ticket stubs from the rented chairs. Then one of the passengers gets a nice little bonus at the end.

It's a flawed concept, but honestly, that's the best I can think of. When I first thought of this, I figured it wouldn't be fair because people with more money than others would have more opportunity to have the chairs. However, I don't think there would be too many "rich folks" who would be willing to pay for a chair they hardly use anyway. People's attitudes change when cash is involved.

From what I've noticed, the problem isn't necessarily the lack of chairs. It's the lack of space to put the chairs, in the main area on the Lido deck. People who have wrap-around balconies often ask the steward for a chair. If quantity were a problem, this wouldn't happen.

As I've mentioned, I could sometimes find a couple of chairs between the two glass wind-barriers, on the side of the ship. Also on the "Euro Deck" (top-optional). The problem is that people want to be where the action is, and close to the bars & pools. I'm reasonable enough not to want that on every day at sea. But I'd like to enjoy it at least once during my cruise. Like you, on my next cruise, I have only 3 days at sea.

Think about it: It would be impossible to have a chair available for every passenger, in every area. The dining room can't even handle us all at once, so forget the Lido deck.

It boils down to Cruiser Consideration. And when that fails (every time), it comes down to Vigilante Cruise Justice or people who go without. Carnival has to step up to the plate.

You know what would be a good idea? I know people are gonna flame me like I've never been flamed before. Charging per chair, per hour. You get one raffle ticket stub per hour that you've rented the chair. Instead of Carnival getting that money, they make a lottery at the end, with all the ticket stubs from the rented chairs. Then one of the passengers gets a nice little bonus at the end.

It's a flawed concept, but honestly, that's the best I can think of. When I first thought of this, I figured it wouldn't be fair because people with more money than others would have more opportunity to have the chairs. However, I don't think there would be too many "rich folks" who would be willing to pay for a chair they hardly use anyway. People's attitudes change when cash is involved.

This is one situation where bigger and newer is not always better. We had less of a problem finding chairs on Jubilee and Sensation than we did on the Glory. The Conquest class ships carry nearly twice as many passengers as some of the older ships but do not have twice the deck space. I have suggested a similar idea to yours before. No cost though. But the chairs and spaces on the deck are numbered. And you select them for a period of time, maybe 2 or 3 hours each day, first come, first served. like you're checking out a library book or buying tickets for a concert or sporting event. You could even do it through the cabin TV, like booking excursions. But you could only reserve the chairs for 2 or 3 hours at a time. Or it could be randomly assigned chairs for you for a certain block of time each day. A GTY chair assignment, if you will. So you would go to your room after boarding the ship and find out that you have chairs 69 and 70 from 8am-10am on day 2, and chair 381 and 382 from 11am-1pm on day 3, etc.

I'm not so sure about that. I just feel that we are all on vacation to enjoy ourselves. If we are subjected to be on the deck at a certain time and only for a certain amount of time people won't be able to enjoy their vacation as much. Just think...a lounge chair has been reserved to you from 10 am - 12 pm. How would you feel about that? What would you end up doing for the rest of the day? I just wouldn't enjoy cruising as much if someone told me I can only utilize the chairs for 2 hours per day. There has to be another way.

And the problem is not the people that walk away from their chair for 1/2 hour. It is the people that claim their chairs and never return or return after an hour or more.

Sounds tome like we need the chair police:p

I sent Carnival a suggestion to help free up chairs.....on the deck near the pool. As of yet no response.....but Here is my suggestion to cruisers....Bring your own chair and the cruiselines will come up with a solution to discourage that........lol

I sent Carnival a suggestion to help free up chairs.....on the deck near the pool. As of yet no response.....but Here is my suggestion to cruisers....Bring your own chair and the cruiselines will come up with a solution to discourage that........lol

If you through the stuff saving the chairs over board, theyll eventually quit saving chairs.:)

I didn't think it would cause this hot of a topic

Stick around:rolleyes: We haven't had a good smoking, jeans, compensation, swimmies or kids on a cruise thread for a week or so now.

Someone seems to have taken my spoon...

LOL....Can you imagine??? People coming onboard with those fold up lounge chairs!! :D Actually....I have some really nice fabric ones that have a carrying case. We use them on the family boat here all the time. BOY would this board have a great time discussing how to "hide" lounge chairs in their luggage...lol

Seriously though....I would love to hear what your idea is....will you share???

I really had the biggest problem with this on my most recent cruise. I have traveled on full sailings before and never encountered as much chair saving as I saw last week. I don't mind going off to a different deck. In the later afternoon I can usually find a chair in "prime space" especially since I am only looking for one chair. But as I said in my earlier post what really annoys me is the people saving for family members who just don't show up. Last week I wound up sitting on the bench around the pool so I could watch my DD on the waterslide. Not very comfortable and needless to say not easy to keep my stuff dry either! All around me were adults in lounge chairs with 2 or 3 saved next to them. As I watched I realized that these were for kids who were off and about and just might (?) want to lay down....PLEASE!!! These kids would come over with their ice cream, sit on the edge of a chair for about 2 minutes and take off again.

Perhaps there are some people on the ship who are simply oblivious to the problem BUT one would think that they would notice the people wandering around deck, stuff in their arms, furiously eyeballing the deck!

The problem is not chairs but the location of the chairs. Chairs by the pool area are hard to come by but there are usually plenty on deck 10 or above.

I think that the situation could be made better by having some of the music from the pool area piped to other areas so you can at least listen to the music. Maybe leaving the back of the ship as a quiet area.

Also, on the Conquest class ships, get rid of the tiered decks. they're very inefficient and remove the buffet tables & seating from the edges of the pool area. Chairs in that area would be shaded but at least they would be near the main pool.

Thanks to all for the humor...Im a chair saver at a hotel when I stay, but I will say I tend to stay at the pool most of the day unlike those that place towels on 10 chairs and your lucky if you see anyone all day. However, Ive never done that on a cruise or saw the need. i love to lay out behind the "whale fin" as I call it, maybe becouse the wind is so bad no towels will stay on the chair to reserve it!!!

The problem is not chairs but the location of the chairs. Chairs by the pool area are hard to come by but there are usually plenty on deck 10 or above.

I think that the situation could be made better by having some of the music from the pool area piped to other areas so you can at least listen to the music. Maybe leaving the back of the ship as a quiet area.

Also, on the Conquest class ships, get rid of the tiered decks. they're very inefficient and remove the buffet tables & seating from the edges of the pool area. Chairs in that area would be shaded but at least they would be near the main pool.

Very good point! It isn't necessarily the pool that people want to be near but the music. At least that's how I feel and most of the people that I have cruise with. Good point:)

You appreciate the ships that enforce the rule? Which ships? Does a No Chair Saving Ship exist that I'm not aware of!? :eek: As for my last cruise, the chair saving was rampant. I asked one of the "security" what could be done, since I could point out a few chairs that had been abandoned for a long time. He basically said, "It happens all the time. You have to watch for when people start packing their stuff up and ask them if you could have the chair when they're done." Gee thanks. :(

Yes, RCI has a no chair saving policy and they did a great job of enforcing it on my Serenade cruise last month. They had two pool attendants that removed items from chairs left unattended over a certain period of time.

Amazing, no one was hunting around for a chair; there seem to always be some available.

Since I do not sail with Carnival as a matter of course, I cannot comment on what rules they have. But there sure are a lot of folks on these boards constantly aggravated by chair hogs.

Archived