pool chairs saved?

thefog

I am naive.......why aren't there enough chairs provided? Gees, those resin-type chairs/lounges cost about $7-10 each at the local hardware big box...what's the deal that people fight over them? Cruised on Carnival once 12 years ago and don't remember these territorial issues.........We've cruised on RSSC mucho and never encountered the crowded conditions/lack of deck ammentities. We have booked our family of 6 for the 2 July cruise on the Pride but certainly don't want to have to deal with folks fighting for chairs around the pools.........we love the sun and the ability to relax as a family.......not have to circle the wagons when we go for a swim or a visit to the restroom, or to go through the buffet line. What's up with this?

There should be plenty...but people are saving them for people that never show up....

Go back a page and check out the story of the mountain of chairs!! That cracked me up - never heard of that before. That's awefully bold!! Yet funny that people are that desperate!!! :eek:

I don't usually respond to chairhog threads, but here is my solution:

I'm usually up on the Lido deck at 6 and watch the drama unflold.

When someone comes up with an armfull of towels and deposits them on a row of chairs, I remove the second, third, fifth and seventh of them.

Around 10 o'clock the fun begins!

That is tooo funny!! :D

I truly would not have the gall to go and remove someone elses things from a chair, even if I knew they had been gone for quite sometime. I think one would have to be careful to at least give people a certain number of minutes to give them a chance to grab a drink, go to the restroom. Just because a book, towels and things are on a chair and there is nobody there doesn't automatically give one the right to dump a persons things on the ground. For people who claim they just want to relax and enjoy themselves, is this really worth getting ones blood pressure up? There are so many great places on a ship to relax, why is everybody so fixated on being near the pool anyway?

I truly would not have the gall to go and remove someone elses things from a chair, even if I knew they had been gone for quite sometime. I think one would have to be careful to at least give people a certain number of minutes to give them a chance to grab a drink, go to the restroom. Just because a book, towels and things are on a chair and there is nobody there doesn't automatically give one the right to dump a persons things on the ground. For people who claim they just want to relax and enjoy themselves, is this really worth getting ones blood pressure up? There are so many great places on a ship to relax, why is everybody so fixated on being near the pool anyway?

I think as stated on this board, most people will give someone at least 30-60 minutes before dumping the things... after that, it is fair game.

Believe me, there are chairs saved beyond the pool area!!

As soon as we board the ship, I stake out my chairs...I put out my towel, radio, umbrella, volleyball net, grill, cooler and floats. I bring the large shed and a portable A/C unit (it gets hot out there). Did I mention the beer kegs? I then get the stakes to hold up the orange fence to go around my area, put the dog, our Rottweiler, in the fenced area with his bones, water and blankie...go to get some food...and come back a couple of days later.

If you walk by the area and we haven't come back yet, could you toss a burger or two into the fenced in area? He gets a little ornery when he's hungry:D

He may be resting in the A/C or watching TV, but be careful....he a little 'protective' of his space.:eek:

You don't think anyone will have a problem with this, do you?

Stealing towels isn't nice. I like to reunite these lost towels with the linen cart.

I'm sure the towels feel much better knowing that the neglect that had befallen them is being rectified and they will now be reunited with their cloth bretherin.

It makes you almost feel sorry for the prior owners of the towels having to spend $22 to become repatriated with their long lost blue textiled friend. Almost sorry. Then I break into the Snoopy dance and feel better all over again.

If I spy a "vacant" chair being held hostage by a towel or other personal items for a long period of time in a line of vacant chairs I double up items on one chair. Move other items each down a chair and then take a newly vacated chair.

Okay, when we have gone on vacations at different resorts I have always "saved" our chairs in the morning. BUT, it was never an issue with anyone not having a chair that needed one. So, do these people do this with the intent to be at the pool all day, or are they trying to save them for later in the day when it gets real hot. I can see myself going up there at 9am and putting my towel down, going for breakfast then going back to my chair for the day. I'm on vacation and I love to sit by the pool with a few cocktails....Is is wrong if I save it for an hour??? This is our first cruise so I really have no idea. I DO NOT agree with those people who put towels on the chairs and come back hours and hours later. That's not fair at all.

I believe if no one saved chairs AT ALL, which is technically the Carnival policy,they simply sat on them when they needed them and took all their belongings when they left, chair saving wouldn't even be an issue! It is not "your" chair, no matter what you put on it, unless it's your body. I refuse to spend every morning of MY vacation waking at the crack of dawn to save a chair! It's unbelievable how so many people just refuse to follow rules.

I'm thinking of bringing some pre-printed note cards and some clear plastic bags. The notes will say something like this: "Hello, these objects were left unattended for more than 30 minutes. For your convenience and to protect your items they have been placed in this plastic bag. Enjoy your cruise." And then putting the items into the bag and turning them over to a staff member for safe keeping.

If someone comes up to the chair looking for them I'll simply tell them that they should check with a staff member.

When I leave a chair I will do the opposite. I will put a note on the chair, that I am temporarily away (pool, drink, restroom etc...) but will return shortly. I will then put the time that I left on the note and explain that if I am gone for more than 30 minutes that the person wanting the chair should feel free to move my items.

Does this all sound too anal?

Not at all! Too bad Carnival hasn't adopted this policy. And they should be the ones passing out these pre- written cards to everyone and require their usage!

I was staying at a hotel with an indoor waterpark once with my son. About 10% of the poolside chairs were physically occupied, and the other 90% occupied only with towels, sandals etc. No exagerration. My son and I searched EVERYWHERE for an available open chair or table, to no avail. All this time I was carrying around this full tray of food in a slippery environment I'm lucky I didn't spill. After having enough of this ridiculousness, that is we actually wanted to use a table for its intended purpose, that is to sit at it, i just plopped down at one of these "ghost" occupied tables. We ate our breakfast and a family of 4 came and sat down across from us at "their" table and I could tell I was getting dirty sideways glances. So I guess I was in the wrong for wanting to sit at a table and enjoy my breakfast!!

I agree....leaving a note or having a little card that says "In the pool", or "be right back" would be great!

A few times I have gone into the hot tub or pool or to the bar to get a drink only to find the chair I was sitting on to be occupied, and my stuff on the ground. I simply tell the person I was at the pool and they are sitting in my chair...They usually apologize and pick up their stuff and go. Its not that there aren't anyother chairs around, just not by the pool.

Being an early riser I get there by 7 or 7:30 and hardly anyone is around.

It should be first come first served, but with the amount of people cruising now-a-days it is starting to become first come first "saved".

Have fun on your cruise......hmmmmmm Going to BARBADOS I see.....:cool:

If you need to you could borrow 'Macarthur' to guard your chair...He'll work for tablescraps.:D

Dave:eek:

Gosh after reading all these posts, I'm going to have to get up early and save my chair! Seriously, we are taking the children 6 & 10 on their first cruise in May and I know they want to spend the 2 days at sea in the pool. I HAVE to be near the pool to watch them unless I want to be IN the pool with them which I don't.

Already, we were told to take our own big beach towels to save our chairs because we wouldn't be able to hold them if we had to use the restroom or get a drink and would have to pay the $22 for the lost ship's towels. How sad....not looking that forward to it.

Was up on deck one day. we didn't do an excursion so a bit of shopping and then to the pool deck. Found a couple chairs beside some 'reserved chairs. Long story short, The people who reserved the chairs did so @ 9:00am and they went on an excursion. They got back @ 3:00. A-holes.

Hmmmm ... rather than beat 'em, maybe Carnival should join 'em by setting up some "Gold" and "Platinum" S&S priority areas in the most desireable deck spaces. Access and usage can be monitored by the staff. If the staff sees a chair not used for a certain amount of time ...say, 45 minutes ... they can remove the personal belongings and allow another Gold or Platinum user to utilize those chairs. If there are no chairs available at the time you come out on deck, give the Gold and Plat cruisers one of those restaurant-style seating pagers. They are free to pursue other activities, and summoned to the deck when the number of chairs they would like opens up. They have a choice to either take those chairs when they become available, or surrender their spot in the waiting line. :-)

If the noobs are forced away from the most desired areas on deck, they may not be so quick to try and hold on to chairs all day without using them.

I agree....leaving a note or having a little card that says "In the pool", or "be right back" would be great!

A few times I have gone into the hot tub or pool or to the bar to get a drink only to find the chair I was sitting on to be occupied, and my stuff on the ground. I simply tell the person I was at the pool and they are sitting in my chair...They usually apologize and pick up their stuff and go. Its not that there aren't anyother chairs around, just not by the pool.

Being an early riser I get there by 7 or 7:30 and hardly anyone is around.

It should be first come first served, but with the amount of people cruising now-a-days it is starting to become first come first "saved".

Have fun on your cruise......hmmmmmm Going to BARBADOS I see.....:cool:

If you need to you could borrow 'Macarthur' to guard your chair...He'll work for tablescraps.:D

Dave:eek:

BuBu!! Great to hear from you! I'm so excited this is all I do! :) Wish I could borrow a bassett hound!! Thanks for those info books on Barbados and Aruba by the way!!

• 11 months later...
Great to hear about everyone's complaint about chairs saved, but is the problem going to get better before it gets worse on some ships? So what is the solution?

Bring your own chairs? :) I agree it's best to enjoy a light breakfast by the pool, snag a couple of chairs and catch some rays for a couple of hours before the serious mid-day sun cooks everyone else.

Hope this does not sound dumb but was wondering what you mean by funnel deck. Is this the name of a deck on a particular ship? Thanks - we are sailing on the Glory on 2/10.

well the funnel deck usually has lots of chairs available!! :D

We will usually get a place right in the middle of the funnel deck that is behind the covered railing so that it blocks the wind. It is private too, and I can bask in the sun without people ogling.... :)

Great to hear about everyone's complaint about chairs saved, but is the problem going to get better before it gets worse on some ships? So what is the solution?

First offense- Throw their junk overboard.

Second offense- Throw the hog overboard.

Archived