Ch-ch-chia?

Have just bought some chia seeds and am experimenting. Mixed with water they taste like absolutely nothing. Tried mixing them with mango coconut water and they didn't thicken properly, I think because of the enzymes in the mango. I think I'll try a recipe with almond milk that I saw in a magazine.

Does anyone have a favorite way to eat them? Am trying to avoid wheat, corn and oats so I think some kind of a pudding is my best bet...

My husband is Central American and has used them for years, and got me hooked on them. You need to soak a little in water for about 15-20 minutes to make them gelatinous and then you basically mix them with a fresh juice. In his country it's mixed all the time with 100& juice that you buy at a local corner Bodega or juice stand. That's how we do it at home here in the USA. We make our own juice too.

It does have a laxative type of effect so you might not want to use more than a teaspoon.

Our favorite is Pitaya (dragonfruit) and Guayaba (guava) juice with the CHIA. I've never had it any other way in Central America than mixed with juice.

If you look on Latin American or Central American cooking websites by googling Chia, you will see it referenced mostly with mixing it in juice.

Have just bought some chia seeds and am experimenting. Mixed with water they taste like absolutely nothing. Tried mixing them with mango coconut water and they didn't thicken properly, I think because of the enzymes in the mango. I think I'll try a recipe with almond milk that I saw in a magazine.

Does anyone have a favorite way to eat them? Am trying to avoid wheat, corn and oats so I think some kind of a pudding is my best bet...

Thanks! I will have to try that next! My husband found an article in Runner's World that called for almond milk and coconut - I decided to try chocolate almond milk instead. Yummy - kind of like Jello pudding! I forgot to buy the coconut but haven't missed it.

I have been using chia seeds for the last few weeks since seeing them on Dr Oz. I eat

a tablespoon before each meal, either in applesauce or yogurt. They have not taste. So far so good.

Just soak them like I stated in the other post..that is really the key..

We are going to Nicaragua next month and my favorite juice there is called Pitaya (Dragon fruit) which is a pink color..sorta like pomengranite juice..with Chia!

I am so afraid of growing an Afro in my stomach with these seeds!! :)

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?audmte

• 2 weeks later...
I buy mine already ground up. I sprinkle them on my salads and I put them in my breakfast fruit smoothie.

Mine are already ground and I do the same. Seems to be working so far!

Thanks - ran mine through a coffee grinder today - will try them in my yogurt in AM!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived