Tanzanite International

Cheeky

Could you tell me if there's a Tanzanite International in any (or more) of the following ports, please:

Grand Cayman

Costa Maya

Cozumel

Belize

I'm "taking orders" from family and friends, so they want to know in advance.

Much appreciated!

Cheeky

PS: Any other good jewellery stores? I'd love a good price on a tennis bracelet.

Cozumel- yes... I bought a pretty pendant last week there.. Finally my first piece of Tanzanite.. I eyed the bracelets though.. so that is my goal on my next cruise.. I think Tanzanite is beautiful!!!.. I am almost 99% sure I saw one in Grand Cayman last week..

Hi Cheeky - there's a Tanzanite International in Cozumel, and I got a great deal last year on a diamond tennis bracelet at Diamonds International in Cozumel. What I liked about buying the bracelet there is that if I want to upgrade for a larger bracelet, I can do it on my next trip. They definitely are in the mood to bargain in Cozumel - I highly recommend purchasing your bracelet there as opposed to Grand Cayman where they seem offended when you try to get the price down. I've often heard that the chains have fixed prices throughout the Carribean, so that the same item has the same price in all of their stores throughout the Carribean, but I don't find this to be true when it comes to bargaining with them. So if you want some company shopping between Paradise Beach and Carlos and Charlies.......

Belize has a TI and DI as well, right there in the mall at the dock. Last time there I got a gorgeous tanzanite ring at a great price. So many choices!:eek: I really did some serious dickering and walked away once, but they came running after me. I had that guy's calculator flying!;)

Also in Coz, check out a Touch of Gold. We got my engagement ring there and it's a very unusual design. That's why I love buying jewelry in the Caribbean, different designs than you normally find in the states.

Has anyone ever heard of tanzanite before cruising? Will Derfette say "Just what I always wanted a tanzanite whatever" for Mothers day.

I had, but then, I am a science teacher with a minor in geology and an interest in gemology. Check the prices on Jewelrytelevision.com for comparison shopping. The markup on jewelry is huge, especially in gemstones and diamonds. :eek:

I also buy things in the caribbean, but know the prices before I go.

June

I really hate the price haggling thing, but if I can get a better deal I will do it! What amount do you start at when buying a piece of jewelry at a place like Diamonds/Tanzanite International? Like half or 2/3 of the original price? Is that way too low? I don't want to offend anyone! I am looking to buy a tanzanite ring and/or earrings to go with the bracelet and pendant DH has bought me.

We were in Matzalan last week on the Carnival Pride. We purchased a pink sapphire and diamond ring at Diamonds International. The original "quote" was $2,820. DH got him down to $1,265 paying with a credit card. I thought that was really good.

Good Luck,

ozres

It's been my experience that Tanzanite purchased stateside is less expensive than on the islands. Personally, I think Tanzanite is one of the biggest rip-offs going. Stick to the diamonds, emeralds, sapphires,pearls, and ruby's for the best value retention. You're much better off with a sapphire than tanzanite.

Yes, I had heard of tanzanite before cruising, and have always loved it. The reason it is so expensive is that it comes from only one mine in Tanzania, and unless another source is found, when it's gone, it's gone. The mining of it is extremely difficult. It is heat treated to bring out the dark more desirable colors.

My best advice is to do your homework before your cruise and know what the average going price is for what you're looking for, whether it be tanzanite or any other precious stones. Have a price in mind when you start shopping. They will often ask what price you have in mind and go low, so you have room to "negotiate". Don't be afraid to be firm and walk away if need be. Chances are, you will be able to come somewhere close to what you are willing to spend. If not, remember there are other shops in other ports!

Also, keep in mind that loose stones are not subject to duty like set stones are. The stores all advertise "duty free" which really just means you pay no tax on them. You still have to declare the value when you return to the US, except on loose stones.

Most of all, have fun and don't be afraid of being a "tough customer". I used to be scared to death to haggle over prices, but now find it alot of fun to find the best bargains out there!

My sisters bought several pieces in Aruba.........great prices, the settings were different than any they have seen here at home. If you are going to Aruba, I can find out the store name for you.

Donna in MA

The reason it is so expensive is that it comes from only one mine in Tanzania, and unless another source is found, when it's gone, it's gone. The mining of it is extremely difficult.

Tanzanite/Terorrist Debate Continues

from

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/news/2001/112901story.html

Violence flares up at Tanzanite mine between small scale miners and AFGEM

from

http://www.africagems.com/articles/violencetanzanite.html

It's been my experience that Tanzanite purchased stateside is less expensive than on the islands.

Agree 100%, although I wouldn't ever go into a jewelry store stateside and pay sticker price either - whatever the price, it will be on sale at a discount next month. I've never bought a piece of expensive jewelry on any of my 5 cruises - I've yet to find anything that I believe to be a bargain and at the same time, trust the seller. The stores are plenty crowded but I wonder how many people are buying and how many are window shopping.

Yes, derf, I had a beautiful pair of diamond and tanzanite earrings several years before I started cruising;)

On our Spirit voyage of April 10, we visited Diamonds International in Mazatlan and were greeted by none other than Miss Tanzanite herself!

How lucky was my brother-in-law here? (BTW, she looks even more striking in 3-D) :D

tanzanite.jpg

Actually, he really looks like that in person. He's a rather featureless individual, and even when he talks, it's kinda "mumbly". Can't make out what he's saying unless you try reading his lips ... maybe that's the problem! :rolleyes:

I bought a ring at TI in St. Thomas a couple of years ago. I used to sell fine jewelry so I know what kind of pricing was good vs. bad. They had everything priced (sticker price) in the stratosphere. When I asked to see something, she pulled it out and said (before I even asked) "we're having a 75% off sale right now" (75%!!!) so this ring would be $... I ended up getting about 10% more off and felt like I got a good deal (not a steal, but a good price). I have since started the habit of buying myself a piece of jewelry on each trip. I have become really good at bargaining and learned that you can almost always get at least 20-25% off the marked price of even the most popular/desirable items, even at stores that say they won't budge on price. Sometimes it takes walking away or flashing your cash (I have exactly $375.49 left after we paid for lunch, will you take it for this necklace, even though you said the lowest you can go is $400?) in their face. It never hurts to try, and what a great feeling to walk away knowing that you just saved yourself 10, 100, or 1000 dollars that the next sucker would have gladly paid!!!

My friend bought a tanzanite ring in Cozumel, when we were on a cruise 3 years ago.

I looked for one, but I waited until I got home, and found the one I really liked.

Hers is a very light color, and mine is very dark.

The darker the better!!!!!!

If you compare them, you can see a lot of color differences.

I would love to get a necklace or earrings, but it is hard to match the color that I already have on my ring. My tanzanite is triangular, white gold, with bagettes (sp) on either side. I love it!

The darker the better!!!!!!

So the darker the tone before heating, the higher quality your finished goods will be.

from

http://www.gemsociety.org/info/gems/Tanzanite.htm

Tanzanite's finest color is usually strong blue as seen in daylight. Very light or dark shades are usually less valuable.

from

http://www.dcjdirect.com/1dcj-tanzanites.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a loose Tanzanite at DI in February while on the Mariner (RCCL). I had a VIP card from the ship. They (DI) came down significantly on the price of the stone. When I arrived home and had it appraised, it was worth $100 less than what we paid for it. This was one of the guaranteed stores with RCCL and with most cruise lines. I am still fighting with RCCL and DI to get a partial refund. Be careful!!

I know they are in Cosumel. My friend purchased a 1K ring with diamonds there. They were asking $3,200.00. She went in & out of the store, they came down three times. She ended up buying it for $1,200.00. Three days ago she got it appraised, they appraised it at $2,400.00.

I had gotten my 17yro daughter a low end Movado watch before we left for our trip,(I felt quilty because she couldn't come with us because she graduated High School early & was already in collage). Someone stole her watch from her while she was working at a part time job, I felt so bad for her! I looked in Grand Cayman & Cosumel, the price was about the same for what I had paid for it on Cape Cod, ( that's were we are from). At the same time I had wanted to get my dh a Movado. I ended up finding just the right one I wanted to buy him. Already having one myself I thought his was a good deal. I ended up buying my daughter hers & my husbands his. Even though I did not feel like I was getting a deal on my daughters I do feel so much better now because today I showed the jeweler my husbands watch & he could not sell it to us for the price we paid, it was a $400.00 savings.

For myself I was looking for a Saphire & Diamond ring. I took my time & really looked, trust me. There was just nothing screaming out to me, "buy me". I really think I might have settled, you know the feeling," I need to buy something, I'm going to go home with something new & sparrkling". I'm so glad we kept walking around because there were a few time I almost bought something just for the sake of buying something. We happen to stumble into Bernard Passmans. What a store! Even if your not buying you have to go in there. The black coral is incrediable!!! I ended up with a gold, black coral & diamond ring. The diamond is small, I would almost prefer that it wasn't there. But the black coral I love !!! If you go in there & see something you want but do not want to buy it at that time they will quote you the price, sign it & when you come back, (could be two yrs down the road) they will sell it to you for the same price. Also the ring I bought they will buy back at the same price & let me upgrade. Trust me just go in & take a peek.

Add me to the list of Tanzanite fans - what a gorgeous stone. Oddly enough everytime I have looked for a new piece of tanzanite I have always found I did better in the ships jewelry store. On our last Carnival cruise (the Pride) there was a gorgeous pendant - price was over $1000. I kept looking in stores in the various ports we went to but nothing could compare. The last day of the cruise I decided to purchase it. When I got home my jeweler appraised it at almost $1,000 more than I paid. Same thing happened on a Celebrity ship - a ring I purchased was appraised at close to 700 more than I paid.

Even though folks sometimes shy away from those types of purchases in the ships shop, sometimes you do better and actually have the cruiselines behind your purchase.

Will Derfette say "Just what I always wanted a tanzanite whatever" for Mothers day.
Derf, I just got Dms_cruisersette a new tanzanite ring for Mom's Day. Made sure she could return it if she didn't like it. (yeah, I gave it early, wanted to be sure we had time to get something else) She hasn't taken it off yet. :D

• 1 year later...

Archived