Tanzanite International

Cheeky

As with anything in life, just make sure you make an informed decision.

I have made several purchases from DI, AH Rise, and Kirk's (rolex).

For DI, I always buy in Cozumel. The only thing I buy in Grand Caymen are Rolexs at Kirk's. The AH Rise (St Thomas) purchase were some diamond earrings that were the design I was looking for and "happened" upon them and knew it was a good (not great) price.

I have 2 tennis bracelets from DI, because I don't like the standard design that everyone wears and DI creates their own designs. (They have the S's and XO's as well, but I did not want that). Any DI I walk into, the manager usually recognizes it as one of theirs.

Years ago a jeweler friend told me, to the naked eye the average person can not tell a D E F from an G-H. However, don't go any lower than that. Flawless is also not necessary, but he warned me about all these "additional" flaw catagories they have added since he started in the business. (Now I will admit he was a little "snooty" about changes in the world of jewels.) He has since passed on.

When I get serious about a piece of jewerly, I price it in the States first and then see what the Caribbean has to offer. I can take me as long as 5 years (like it did my last Rolex) to make "the purchase".

I have not ever gotten into the Tanzanite thing, but that is just personal taste.

It's been my experience that Tanzanite purchased stateside is less expensive than on the islands.

I also agree, the tanzanite on the Islands is very expensive, i have been buying Tanzanite gems for years and know the prices very well, you may think you are getting a great deal in Cozumel especially with the haggling but the quality just isn't there.

If you really have your mind set on buying Tanzanite while on vacation, take a look at the tanzanite pieces on the ship, they are a better quality and the prices are pretty good.

Also they have a great return/repair policy.

This is my personal opinion.

can you buy tanzanite in the states? if so, where? any pitfalls or advice? thanks

(p.s., I noticed tons of it on ebay, but a bit leary to buy gemstones from there)

Tanzanite can be purchased at many fine jewelry stores in the U.S.

The deeper periwinkle purple/blue the more the stone is worth and of course a flawless VS would be even better.

the down falls is, tanzanite is a very soft stone and can not be worn on an everyday basis, it should stay away from detergents and chlorine pools, it scratches very easily.

On Cozumel, I like Touch of Gold for gold chains, Rachat & Romero for aquamarines and Australian fire opal, and Los Cinco Soles for silver items.

I think last time I was there, they even had an Alexandrite International.

Happy shopping,

Suzy

We bought a pair of Tanzanite earrings in St. Thomas last year for 350...they are dark deep purple and we got a discount for paying cash....now if I could only get DH to take the stud out of his ear, I could wear the pair....

My ring is a deep purple as well - looks just like the ones in the photos on some of the links posted. I love my tanzanite ring - but alas I do not wear it every day. When I do I get many comments! It is still a not well known stone in the states. I do know one gentleman who bought his fiance a tanzanite engagement ring...cost him around $5,000 but he also had a couple diamonds in it as well. It looked overpriced but I didn't say anything to him. It was a beautiful ring and he bought it at a local jeweller here in the states.

After 5 cruises I finally bought a tanzanite and diamond ring off the ship this spring. It is gorgeous! I had it appraised here for about $1,000 more than I paid. The down side is that to have it sized and keep the one year warranty I have had to send it to the Miami based company and it will take up to 10 weeks to do. The person selling it to me on the ship told me 2-3 weeks for sizing so I am rather upset with that end of it. I tried calling the company and Carnival and they apologize but there's nothing they can do if I was misled. From now on I will only buy earrings or pendants on the ship. I love their quality and one year unconditional guarantee but 10 weeks without the ring is ridiculous. Just a warning if you need a ring sized. I hope I get it back soon.

Years ago I bought my first tanzanite ring and earrings in Cozumel at D.I.

I also bought a loose stone to use in conjunction with some diamonds I had at home. At the time they told me I could upgrade in the future.

I have since upgraded twice to the most fabulous tanzanite set. The Cozumel store seems to be the most willing to haggle on the price and accept upgrades. They told me that they no longer do upgrades on tanzanite, only diamonds, but since I had all my paperwork (absolutely necessary if you want to upgrade) and they saw how much I had spent over the years, they did allow me to upgrade my tanzanite.

I'm happy with my tanzanite and don't plan on upgrading any more. But I did buy a diamond in April that was a very good deal. They even bought some miscellaneous diamonds I had, at what I thought was a fair price. More than I'd been offered at my home jewelers. Again, if you have spent money with them in the past bring all your paperwork. It goes a long way toward getting them to come down on the price.

They will also take a few percent more off if you can pay in cash. They came down an additional $800 off my ring when I told him it was all cash.

Happy shopping.

There are Tanzanite International shops in Grand Cayman as well as Cozumel and Belize. I can't say from experience about Costa Maya. Both times were were to cruise there, we had to miss the port either due to changed itinerary thanks to a hurricane or rough seas.

You may not have as much room for negotiation in Grand Cayman. I've usually had better luck in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. I've looked in Belize but just never found exactly what I wanted so I could try to negotiate a price.

Just A Small Note Of Disagreement About The Quality Of Tanzanite And The Price You Can Get....my Dh Purchased Me A Ring In Cozumel Several Years Ago. We Got What We Thought Was A Good Price And Loved The Ring...as Others Have Said, It Was Unique. Upon Our Return Home We Had It Appraised At A Local Jeweler We Trust. The Ring Appraised At 3 Times What Dh Paid. We Have Since Repeated This With Other Pieces Of Jewelry Over The Years. If You Are An Educated Consumer This Can Be A Great Place To Buy.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself going on a cruise for a very long time. Still in my leg cast 4 weeks after my accident in Belize. I think you would have to drag my husband on board a cruise ship after that adventure. Hopefully, we will cruise again in the future, just not for a long, long time :(

That is why I ask about tanzanite in the states. I bought a ring on the ship that I love, and wanted a pendant next.

We are considering a land vacation in Playa Del Carmen in December...maybe I should wait until then and buy in Cozumel...what do ya think?

On our Spirit voyage of April 10, we visited Diamonds International in Mazatlan and were greeted by none other than Miss Tanzanite herself!

How lucky was my brother-in-law here? (BTW, she looks even more striking in 3-D) :D

tanzanite.jpg

It is so interesting that you had a picture of Ms Tanzanite. Two years ago on the Pride in Mazatlan we saw Ms Tanzanite take a nasty fall off of a curb and bumb her head. In less then a minute a Mercedes sped to her side and took her to the hospital. It was different person but the picture brought back one of those uniques vacation memories. One interesting thing to note is that I have never seen a Ms Tanzanite in any other port then Mazatlan.

It was different person but the picture brought back one of those uniques vacation memories.

Is that what tanzanite does. Makes one all blurry. Or is he in the "Whitness Protection Program"?

My loose tanzanite was purchased 7 years ago so I'm sure it isn't comparable anymore. I'd tell you but I honestly don't remember anymore and when I upgraded I turned in that paperwork. Sorry.

Also, FYI, Tanzanite Int'l is owned by Diamond Int'l so you can deal with either one.

Still in my leg cast 4 weeks after my accident in Belize. /QUOTE]

What happened.

Tell us more tell us more

Hey there derf, here is the link to my review that talks about what happened. Since I posted this, I have been in 5 casts (2 plaster, 2 fiberglass and now one plastic). They are now telling me I will likely be casted 9-12 weeks total and surgery is very likely. It's been a nightmare :(

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=348991

Just A Small Note Of Disagreement About The Quality Of Tanzanite And The Price You Can Get....my Dh Purchased Me A Ring In Cozumel Several Years Ago. We Got What We Thought Was A Good Price And Loved The Ring...as Others Have Said, It Was Unique. Upon Our Return Home We Had It Appraised At A Local Jeweler We Trust. The Ring Appraised At 3 Times What Dh Paid. We Have Since Repeated This With Other Pieces Of Jewelry Over The Years. If You Are An Educated Consumer This Can Be A Great Place To Buy.

I totally agree - and I also agree that the ship may likely have the best quality and the best deal! They know the competition in the ports and price accordingly. I bought a beautiful Tanzanite ring a year ago on the Destiny. It appraised much higher than the purchase price. When I was on the Triumph in January they had the same ring - now priced over $1000 more than I paid for mine. I have been told that Tanzanite is appreciating at a rapid rate. I am glad I purchased when I did. :D

We were on the Conquest and shopped on Cozumel earlier this month.

Diamonds International has several stores there. There is DI on the "main drag." TI is nearby and there is a newly opened DI Outlet/Clearance store a couple of blocks closer to the Tendering dock. I believe that there is another DI store near the dock.

Anyhow, It was our Anniversary,etc. etc. We found a 3/4 carrat Tanzanite Ring with 1/2 carrat of (VS1?) Diamonds around it in a 14K gold setting.

I haggled at the DI store (Main one, end of the strip) until they finally said no at about $1K. I'm fairly sure that I had them at their best price since they didn't chase us down the street when we left. We looked at the Tanzanite store and didn't see anything that we wanted.

We finally ended up at the DI Outlet store. They had the same ring with darker stone it it. I began negotiating with them and ended up getting the ring for more that $200 less than their other store up the street.

I don't know how this compares to other deals, but It shows that you shouldn't hesitiate to haggle, haggle, haggle.

Tanzanite experts, any guesses on how we did on this one?

We were on the Conquest and shopped on Cozumel earlier this month.

Diamonds International has several stores there. There is DI on the "main drag." TI is nearby and there is a newly opened DI Outlet/Clearance store a couple of blocks closer to the Tendering dock. I believe that there is another DI store near the dock.

Anyhow, It was our Anniversary,etc. etc. We found a 3/4 carrat Tanzanite Ring with 1/2 carrat of (VS1?) Diamonds around it in a 14K gold setting.

I haggled at the DI store (Main one, end of the strip) until they finally said no at about $1K. I'm fairly sure that I had them at their best price since they didn't chase us down the street when we left. We looked at the Tanzanite store and didn't see anything that we wanted.

We finally ended up at the DI Outlet store. They had the same ring with darker stone it it. I began negotiating with them and ended up getting the ring for more that $200 less than their other store up the street.

I don't know how this compares to other deals, but It shows that you shouldn't hesitiate to haggle, haggle, haggle.

Tanzanite experts, any guesses on how we did on this one?

I made a purchase at the DI Outlet store the last time we were there. The pieces they carry are perfectly fine, but are just some styles that did not sell in the regular stores for whatever reason. They happen to have the exact ring I had been looking for...going on 3 years.

As for the price, I always tell folks, if it is what you want at the price that makes you happy...then that is all that matters. Enjoy it !!!

Archived