How much for an up-do?

rnvattes

Here is my honest opinion. Formal night on a Carnival cruise is no big deal. Save your money. It is not worth spending $60+ on a hair do. I personally pay no attention to any one else, let alone their hair.

To OP: My honest opinion is it is a big deal. I make it a big deal. I do save my money...for things I appreciate such as an updo for formal night.

OP: I usually book by phone on the first day of the cruise.

It's not a big deal to you, but for many others it's just another part of the cruising experience. Besides, maybe they have plenty of money for the up-do, the excursions, the steakhouse, tips, massages, and so forth. Having my hair done is for looking good for my husband and for portrait-taking.

I'd love to know what they charge to style short hair. Anyone?

I agree. It's a special night for us as a couple. I want to look elegant for him and in our pictures. I'm fortunate to be able to do my own up-do, but I'd have it done if I weren't. Sounds comparable to the prices at home, which is a pleasant surprise.

Here is my honest opinion. Formal night on a Carnival cruise is no big deal. Save your money. It is not worth spending $60+ on a hair do. I personally pay no attention to any one else, let alone their hair.

Thanks for your opinion.

I've done several Carnival trips before, and I get what you're saying.

I wouldn't be doing it for anyone else -- I would be doing it for my husband and myself. We NEVER get to get dressed up and go out for dinner, being parents of small children on a somewhat tight budget, and we are looking forward to doing so on our cruise.

:)

Since we don't expect to have a lot of overhead on this trip (most everything is paid already), $60 is nothing for a nice dinner out dressed up with my hubby celebrating our 10th year of a wonderful marriage.

(but again, thanks for your input ;) )

good information.

I've never had an up-do on a ship, but on my last cruise I had my waist length hair cut to above my shoulders.... (China was just too warm for my hair)

The hairdresser I had on Princess was great, and with the wash, cut, style and tip I think I spent $100.... and she didn't even try to sell me any of the products!

I am thinking I might get my hair done.... depends on what formal dress fits best when I go home this summer and try them on :P

When I was on the Elation in January, they ran a special for hair and makeup for 69.00. They washed dried and styled my hair and used a "bronzer " type makeup that they sell. I thought "ok, here's the catch, I'm going to have to sit here and listen to the million reasons why I need these products that they are using on me." Well, not once did they try to sell me anything! The whole experience was great. BTW, I treated my sister to this too. She has long thick hair and they did an updo on her...beautiful and the same price, no extra cost! The Elation had the Carnival Funtimes but I think it was actually on a separate sheet enclosed with the Funtimes that had a list of spa specials. It was offered on the day that elegant night was scheduled. Enjoy!!

I enjoy getting my hair done on formal night. I have long hair and it's always been $60-$70. I wasn't very happy with the hairstyle I received on the Dream this past May, but WHO CARES? I was on a cruise with a better hairstyle than I could have produced on my own and spent a spectacular night with the most awesome man on earth;-)

Archived