Poesia 2013 Port Everglades or Miami ??

monicajay

I thought I read somewhere that the Poesia was changing to Miami as its home-port for 2013 but it still says Port Everglades on the MSC website.

Anybody know? Or, was I dreaming?

I want to buy my plane tickets really early (like next week) and would prefer to fly into the right place. I know they aren't far from each other but it is still a bother to go from one to the other if it can be avoided.

"The contract is still in the "works". The 2012/2013 season for the Poesia is in Port Everglades."

I read the same thing and asked for the same reason

Thanks for the info! I plan to buy tickets this week. As a teacher, I like to get tickets for our school break early because I know the prices will just keep going up.

MonicaJay, I see you have been on the Poesia before, can you talk to me about it? Never cruised with MSC before, but we have done many other cruise lines:)

Thanks!;)

The food is more international than other cruise lines you have been on. If steaks, burgers and fries are your thing, you will not be happy. If eggplant Parmesan sounds appealing you might be the right kind of person.

-Wines, drink packages and beer packages are cheaper than other lines

-Quality and interesting entertainment

-Ship is very well kept and beautiful

-Great people watching

-Lots of other languages spoken by passengers

-fixed dining times (something we like less,prefer freestyle and MTD)

-Many Americans we met on board didn't like it, Canadians all seem to think it was great

-Cheaper than other lines so this must be taken into consideration.

-Kids free (good if you have some)

Obviously, our 3rd MSC so it works for us

Questions if you have some

The food is more international than other cruise lines you have been on. If steaks, burgers and fries are your thing, you will not be happy. If eggplant Parmesan sounds appealing you might be the right kind of person.

-Great people watching

-Many Americans we met on board didn't like it, Canadians all seem to think it was great

Thanks so much! Believe me, i'.m not paying that amount of money for a cruise to eat burgers and fries;) So I think I'll be right where I need to be:D

And yes, we have 3 kids!!!!!:)

Monicajay -- Hopefully you're not going on the Western Carrib. cruise from March 2 to 9th 2013 - Holistic Holiday at Sea is that week - and the group is growing, there were 1100 people in the group in 2012.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't book these dates but at least you should know there will be a gang of spandex yoga people who seemed to think they own the ship"

Monicajay -- Hopefully you're not going on the Western Carrib. cruise from March 2 to 9th 2013 - Holistic Holiday at Sea is that week - and the group is growing, there were 1100 people in the group in 2012.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't book these dates but at least you should know there will be a gang of spandex yoga people who seemed to think they own the ship"

Thanks for the info. It is not the spandex or yoga that is problematic. In fact, we did the same dates last time and were very disappointed as the group disrupted many schedules and took a lot of the public space. We had an inside cabin though so we were either in a very small cabin or felt 'surrounded'. Unfortunately, because I am a teacher I can't change dates. Because of this, we booked a balcony this time. Hopefully, this will be better for us.

Have you heard that this ship is leaving from Fort Lauderdale for sure?

Thanks for the info. It is not the spandex or yoga that is problematic. In fact, we did the same dates last time and were very disappointed as the group disrupted many schedules and took a lot of the public space. We had an inside cabin though so we were either in a very small cabin or felt 'surrounded'. Unfortunately, because I am a teacher I can't change dates. Because of this, we booked a balcony this time. Hopefully, this will be better for us.

Have you heard that this ship is leaving from Fort Lauderdale for sure?

The "holistic holiday at sea" website lists the departure port as Ft. Lauderdale. That's where I'm buying my ticket to when Southwest releases the schedule on 5/21.

while you may not be able to change dates, have you considered changing ships - there are many other ships leaving Ft. Lauderdale and Miami on the same date.

The group got larger from 2011 to 2012 and has grown every year...

You should re-read your comments from the cruise you took in 2011. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401237

This is from your comments...

"Personally, I've booked an alternative cruise for these dates even though I would have preferred to stay with MSC."

The "holistic holiday at sea" website lists the departure port as Ft. Lauderdale. That's where I'm buying my ticket to when Southwest releases the schedule on 5/21.

while you may not be able to change dates, have you considered changing ships - there are many other ships leaving Ft. Lauderdale and Miami on the same date.

The group got larger from 2011 to 2012 and has grown every year...

You should re-read your comments from the cruise you took in 2011. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401237

This is from your comments...

"Personally, I've booked an alternative cruise for these dates even though I would have preferred to stay with MSC."

I did choose an alternative this year and enjoyed it very much. However, the ship was FULL of spring breakers. I was not able to get in a pool or hot-tub once, and that was a huge disappointment. They were having beer chugging contests daily by the pool and trays of tequila shooters going by before noon were common. There were at least 500 young adults traveling without parents.

So, given the choice we will go back to spandex. We did have a balcony this year on the Star so when the deck was crazy, we just retreated to our cabin. I have booked a balcony for the Poesia (for the price of an inside) this time so I am hoping this will help. I know the library will be closed so plan to bring my own books (a problem for me the last time) and will know in advance that movies under the stars will likely be canceled for the week.

As mentioned, I would prefer to stay with MSC so have decided to do so. Although not vegetarian, my family eats meat only a couple of times a week and practices a healthy life style. At least the Holistic objectives are not foreign to us.

Hi Monicajay,

well, I guess there will be more meat for us :D. Our small group of around 20 cruisers will be on the Poesia in March 2013 because our school break in Montreal is also at those dates and the price for a balcony was to good to pass up.

Hi Monicajay,

well, I guess there will be more meat for us :D. Our small group of around 20 cruisers will be on the Poesia in March 2013 because our school break in Montreal is also at those dates and the price for a balcony was to good to pass up.

Have you cruised MSC before? Have you booked tickets yet? Just curious.

Have you cruised MSC before? Have you booked tickets yet? Just curious.

This will be our 1st MSC cruise - price was too good to pass up. We have gone on Carnival twice and once on NCL. We're ready for something different - I'm just not too much in the yoga thing so I hope that will not be a sour point for that cruise. That being said, yoga or not, any cruise is much better than staying home and I will have a good time I'm sure. We booked our departure out of Burlington, VT but not our return since prices are $$$ - will wait a bit.

How about you ?

This will be our 1st MSC cruise - price was too good to pass up. We have gone on Carnival twice and once on NCL. We're ready for something different - I'm just not too much in the yoga thing so I hope that will not be a sour point for that cruise. That being said, yoga or not, any cruise is much better than staying home and I will have a good time I'm sure. We booked our departure out of Burlington, VT but not our return since prices are $$$ - will wait a bit.

How about you ?

Had hoped to get Delta tickets out of BTV but they were already very expensive. Not sure what we will do.....

I thought I read somewhere that the Poesia was changing to Miami as its home-port for 2013 but it still says Port Everglades on the MSC website.

Anybody know? Or, was I dreaming?

I want to buy my plane tickets really early (like next week) and would prefer to fly into the right place. I know they aren't far from each other but it is still a bother to go from one to the other if it can be avoided.

Pending approval MSC will homeport in Miami, starting in the fall 2013.

Read more here:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/6672-msc-to-homeport-in-miami-starting-in-2013.html

Had hoped to get Delta tickets out of BTV but they were already very expensive. Not sure what we will do.....

Just booked our return to BTV with United (same airline as the departure). Managed to get them for less than 300$ RT. Can sleep now. :)

FYI - tickets for less than 300 $ RT are still available on United for a Friday departure (03/01) with a saturday return (03/09) - the hours are not great but if saving money is the goal, time matters less.

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked a cruise on this ship for April 13, 2013. It will be leaving from Fort Lauderdale to Bermuda. This ship and destination will be new for me.

We are looking at this cruise also. We went on the Poesia in Nov. and loved it.

Also have been on the Opera. (sister ship)

Joybaby

• 3 months later...

-Great people watching

Looking to book this ship (first time on MSC) for January 2013. Loved that line in bold, might be the clincher for us LOL. Not sure what age is the cut-off for the free kids, but ours will be 11 at the time of the cruise, and the online quote shows them being $199+fees. Which is a lot better than Carnival or RCI which charge upwards of 70% of the first 2 in the cabin.

• 5 months later...

Researching and reading all I can before the cruise..appreciate all of the Poesia reviews, even the "bad" ones which are a bit disconcerting. :confused:

Though I don't wear spandex..grin..I will be one of the vegans attending the Holistic Holiday at Sea group. However, my husband is an omnivore so please save a few slabs of meat for him. ;)

Archived