elation 4/17 review

blyle

Embarkation

Arrived 11:45 and parked at EZ cruise. Allowed to get on at 12:30

Cabin E 99- Great cabin with brand new mattress, down comforter, new pillows and new beach towel. Bowl of amenities in the room and bathrobes.

Ship

Very clean but showing a little age. Saw one damaged class picture and some copper faces missing in the elevator and atrium. Crew worked hard to have the ship spotless.

Crew

The crew went out of their way to say hello. CD Jorge was great. We enjoyed him and Dave.

SHows

Spin and Rhythm were Las Vegas type, Pure Country was a chopped up version of Extreme Country . Pure Country features a fiddler and was not our favorite. We did not attend the balancing show. We did attend the featured performer Robert's show. He is the lead singer and has a solo show that we enjoyed. Music Mix was fabulous in the Romeo and Juliet Lounge. Scotty is also fun the DUkes but you can smoke there and it was too smoky for us.

Karaoke was fun the first few days but then the same people sang the same songs over and over. This is the first time we did not attend the late night comedy shows. There was something for everyone on this ship.

Spa

It has been a few years since I have used the spa. THis time I was going to but the prices were very high. It used to be Steiner and now it is Spa Carnival. Everyone agreed that the prices were too high. Our tablemates went and said that they really did a hard sell to buy products. Prices went down as the cruise progressed.

Ports

Progresso

Having been there before we knew the procedure of the shuttle and walked to the beach. Lots of palapas, umbrellas and chairs available. Beer prices increased from $1 to $2 this year. THere were vendors but they were not bad at all compared to other place we have been. The biggest problem for Progresso is its beach. It has the same problem as Galveston. It is on the wrong side of the gulf so the water is more green than beautiful aqua blue. It is not polluted. We had a great time on the beach.

Cozumel We docked at Puerta Langosta instead of Puerta Maya because there was a school on board that was told it could walk to a church. We should have been at Puerta Maya. We caught a Taxi to paradise Beach this time. it started out at $15 and we got it to $12. When you arrive they greet you and explain the plan. Free entry , umbrella and chairs if you buy food or drink. $5 per person to use all the extras, mats, kayaks, etc and no food purchase. Beers were $3 , cokes $2 and food was reasonable. There was an iceberg, trampoline, and jet skis and parasail available. This beach has everything , the bathrooms were spotless and everyone was friendly. We would go there again. Not recommended for snorkeling.

Belize

Having done the snorkeling here last year and being a bit sunburned we opted to just sleep late, take our time, go shopping and return to the ship.

The shopping area has improved since last year. Lots of building going on. THere had been some political unrest the day before we arrived but we had no problems. WE actually went outside on the street past the wrought iron and had no problem.

Since we have cruised 9 times I did not go into detail but I have the capers and shore excursion sheet and can answer questions. We made an effort to ask about the different shore excursions so we could report back.

WE met some great people this year. Lots from the Northeast due to their spring break. Some from Phoenix, California, Utah, and Ok.

Note: for some reason Carnival thinks that people in Texas say Yeehaw and they do that alot. I have never heard anyone do that. It is a stereotype.

THis was probably our most relaxing cruise to date. We tried not to schedule ourselves to death. We especially liked the wine and cheese party in the Musical cafe. 3 glasses of wine any variety and a plate of cheese for $6. I think it was one of the best deals on the ship but not publicized. We used our drink coupons everywhere on the ship and had no problems.

THey will do your laundry on the last 2 sea days if you like. T shirt sale on the last day 2 for $20. Sushi is free. Lots of photo ops everyday.

Carnival now has bloody Mary breakfast drink specials for $2.95 at the pool bar. They also have drink specials down at the Musical cafe for $2.95 . The margaritas were great. The atruim bar tender YUDI makes the best drinks on the ship. They also have a sangria special one day at the pool bar. You really need to read the capers to find all of these otherwise you will miss them.

THey are pushing the new Sea Miles card on board! It is the third card Carnival has had.

You can now self disembark. You must be able to carry everything off with you. The line started at 7 and they did not get off until 8:30. They had to stand while the rest of us sat in the lounges and waited and got off at about 9. We had breakfast at 7:30 and then got our things and headed to the Mikado. It was simple. I would not have wanted to wait in the self disembarking line. Actually they came in and asked if there were anymore self disembarkers so you could probably forego the line and go there when they called them.

Once again we had a great Carnival cruise and hope to do it again next year of sooner. We had a great past guest special this year with upgrade to highest ocean view. Hope you all enjoy your future Elation cruises.

Great review, thanks for taking the time to do it. Do you have the price for the cave tubing in Belize? the zip cord jungle thing in Belize? At the beach in Progresso, were the locals hounded you to buy their stuff? How far was the walk to the beach? Is the beach free?

Thanks again, djk

Would you be able to scan and email the Capers? I'd be very interested (alleghator@yahoo.com). We're sailing on the Elation this next January (our third time with Carnival) with my parents who are first-time cruisers....so I'm gathering lots of information.

Thanks in advance!

Did you visit the Piano Bar? How was your dining room experience?

--Heidi

Sorry but I don't have a scanner. There is someone else on the board that is scanning hers. Also remember that they change from week to week.

Cave tubing and rainforest exploration is $93

Lost world Canopy tour is $99

In Progresso the vendors were not bad but there were some. You take a shuttle 5 miles into town from the ship and from there you turn left and walk about 3 blocks to the beach. You will see the carnival excursion roped off and you can sit right next to them except your beach is free.

Piano bar is DUkes but it is just too smoky while the other bars were not.

Food:

We ate 90% of our meals in the dining room including breakfast. We always found something we liked and they did have lobster on formal night except it is now caribbean lobster not maine as it was last year. I always checked Tiffanys before going to the dining room. I just found more i liked in the dining room vs. buffet. We had lamb, steak, prime rib, chatueaubriand, beef wellington, quail, cornish hen, chicken, pork chop, turkey and vegetarian option every night, the large shrimp had curry so I did not really like it on the last night. I did love the pizza and caesar salad and the deli station. A had the tilapia and grouper and it was very good. Enjoyed the lobster bisque, navy bean soup, chowders, onion soup. I had mixed green salad everyday. THe bread is so fresh everyone ate more than they should have. Desserts again were of every kind, mousse, pie, cake, fruit, souffle, tiramisu, creme brulee, baked alaska, black forest, etc. Everyone was happy with dessert. Forgot to mention farewell happy hour $1 off any drink. The new happy hours are really great.

This new bedding really helped to make this cruise wonderful. It was a joy to sleep on the new mattress and with the new linens. Last year we were in a suite Cat 11. The room was purple and black, dark red mahogany with gold veined mirror and very outdated. It had a balcony so we were happy. This year on Empress the room was much lighter and brighter. We went to Verandah to see if the suites were redone but it did not look like it.

Wine and cheese on Monday & Friday ( sea days) and Sangria by the pool on port days. Drink coupons are ordered on line and can be used for anything up to 4.95 or can be combined for a bottle of wine for dinner. I also have the beverage price list here if you want to know any prices. I brought my souvenir glass so my coupons paid for anything I put into it. Now each day they have a special that is $2.95 served in a small glass.

One change I forgot to mention. We did not have to go through customs on the ship. After we found our luggage we waited on a short line to go through customs. Last year we had to go through customs on the ship.

Hi, yes I remember you too. What I do is go to any of the bars on the atrium and they have a trifold cardboard drink menu. We always take one to our room and bring it home for others in the family who are cruising.

There are quite a few price so I will try to list them.

Fun ship special will be offered when you get on in a 15 oz glass. $6.25 refills $4.50. I bring my glass with me each time and use it.

3.95 specialty cocktails

Blue margarita, goombay smash, margarita, planters punch, ultimate suntan, caribbean breeze( my favorite), island delight, mexicana mama, riviera delight, yellow bird, bahama mama.

Frozen exotic cocktails 4.95, Souvenir glass 6.95

banana daiguiri, dirty banana, margarita, mudslidi, lemonade, rum runner, mango daiquiri, miami vice, pina colada, rasperry daiquiri, strawberry daiquiri capuccino ( free in dining room)

Non alcoholic of the above 3.95

Scotches 4.25 - 6.25

bourbons and blends 4.25-6.25

vodkas 4.25-5.75

Martinis 5.50, 6.75,7.50

rums 4.25-5.50

gins 4.25.-5.50

tequilas 4.25 - 5.75

beers 3.00 -4.25

imported beers 3.75-4.25

cordials and liquers 4.50

soft drinks in glass 1.00 can 1.50 20 oz bottle 2.50

Wine and champagne glass 4.75 -7.25 bottles 19.00 -65.00

If you need a specific price just let me know. Everyday they have a drink special that is only $2.95 without the souvenir glass. They also have other specials during Karaoke in the lounge only and specials in various places at different times. They filled my souvenir glass inside and outside with no problems even thought it says refills on outer deck only.

Archived