Roatan - which scuba operator does Carnival use?

OrcaGirl

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find out which scuba operator Carnival uses for its two-tank dives out of Roatan. Has anyone taken this shore excursion? We're trying to decide between booking through the ship versus independently.

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Erin

They used Anthony's Key Resort on our cruise last June on the Legend. I counted 26 people on the excursion, but they split us between 2 boats so it didn't feel too crowded. Dives were very nice, not too far from the resort. Each was about 45 minutes, max depth about 80 feet. Staff was very friendly and professional. I'd do it again...in fact, wouldn't mind staying at AKR sometime!

Last couple of times it was Antony's Key. Diving was awesome, the reefs are not as over dived the way some are in other areas. Everytime we have been there they do something which helps the beginners out by making everybody check their buoyancy off the back of the boat before leaving the dock. Saves the newbies that have never been in salt water the embarassment of holding things up on site while they get more weight.

While there, bring your deep woods off or some other really strong DEET based insect repellent and don't lean against anything. The sand flies (everybody mistakenly calls them sand fleas) are ferocious. They don't seem to fly and they must keep the dock and the boats sprayed, but in the rest of the resort, you are the deli counter for these bad boys. I forgot to respray myself after the dive and leaned against the building while waiting for the rest room. I had about a dozen bites up and down my arm and all over my back in just a few seconds. I didn't feel them at the time but they puffed up and were itching for days. I ruined a shirt because I had one just below my shoulder blade and I started rubbing on the corner of a doorway, popped it open and it bled all through my shirt. I really liked that shirt too.

ken

We were just on the Dream in March and dove with West End Divers and it was great!

You have to walk up the hill (really it wasn't that bad at all) and West End will have sent someone to pick you up on the other side. Then off to their shop that is right across the street from their boats. During the first dive, one guy from our group of 3 people didn't get very much time on his tank, so they gave him a bigger tank for the 2nd dive so he could stay down longer with us. Even when he had to go up early on the first dive, my husband and I got to stay down for about 55 minutes until we hit 700 psi.

They asked if we wanted some extra time after the dives to walk around the little town of West End and we did, so they had our driver pick us up about an hour after the 2nd dive was scheduled to end. We walked down to the little hut and had some local food that was very similar to soft tacos. They were SO good, especially because the woman made the tortillas right as we watched.

We are VERY glad we booked independently. We also booked independently in Coz and had a great time there, too!

Anthony's Key also offers excellent snorkeling and dolphin excursions that non-diver might like. I don't know about a day pass for beach use. I do know that they won't deal with cruise ship passengers directly because they have a contract with the ship. If the ship doesn't offer it as an excursion, it's probably not available. You can email them through their web site and ask.

Thanks again.

The problem we're having is that the Carnival Glory is in Roatan so early (5am to 1pm local time), that it's been a challenge to find a dive operator with a two-tank dive that will still get us back to the ship on time.

Erin

Hi Orcagirl. We went on the Carnival Dream in Aug of 2011. The excursion dive was set up through Anthoneys Key. In short they took absolute great care of us. We r not expert divers nor novices. ANTHONY'S WAS AWSOME FROM OFF THE BOAT AND BACK 2 tank dive was better then Belieze

Archived