Sony DSC-HX100V

Does anyone have this camera? If so, what are you thoughts, etc. I am considering purchasing this camera and I'm not sure if I should get this one or get the new model, DSC-HX200V. Any suggestions?

thanks

I bought the HX100V for my wife. She shoots in mainly automatic mode and the photos off this camera are fantastic. It has a 30x optical zoom that is about the equivalent of a 700-800mm lens and is very clear, has a ton of features and is smaller than a regular dslr. The Cons to this camera are: no filter threads and it does not shoot in raw. Another nice feature is the built in gps. Turn it on and all your photos will have gps info attached and then when viewing in certain software it will map all your photos wherever you took them.

Bottom line a great/fantastic cheap camera loaded with features and high quality.

We are avid photographers but I use Canon gear a 5D Mark II and a Canon T3i.

I bought the HX100V for my wife. She shoots in mainly automatic mode and the photos off this camera are fantastic. It has a 30x optical zoom that is about the equivalent of a 700-800mm lens and is very clear, has a ton of features and is smaller than a regular dslr. The Cons to this camera are: no filter threads and it does not shoot in raw. Another nice feature is the built in gps. Turn it on and all your photos will have gps info attached and then when viewing in certain software it will map all your photos wherever you took them.

Bottom line a great/fantastic cheap camera loaded with features and high quality.

We are avid photographers but I use Canon gear a 5D Mark II and a Canon T3i.

Thanks for your input. Right now I have an Olympus DSLR, a Canon powershot and a Panasonic Z35, which has 18x optical zoom. I am looking to change the Panasonic camera as lately I have not been that impressed with the shots it is taking. I really like the features of the Sony camera so I am definitely considering it.

I re-read that and I shouldn't have called it a "cheap" camera. It's a great "inexpensive" camera :)

I was checking out the Sony HX200 on B&H this afternoon. Very interesting write up. I presently have the Sony DSC F828 but it's getting heavy to lug around the older I get, and I don't bother with most of the features on it anymore.

I was checking out the Sony HX200 on B&H this afternoon. Very interesting write up. I presently have the Sony DSC F828 but it's getting heavy to lug around the older I get, and I don't bother with most of the features on it anymore.

I went to Best Buy this afternoon & bought the HX200V. Was somewhat surprised that there wasn't a memory card included, so i bought a 16gig card. Spent a lot of the afternoon figuring out how to operate it. Oh well, I have a month to get comfortable with it before my cruise. I'm contemplating taking both cameras to Alaska.

I went to Best Buy this afternoon & bought the HX200V. Was somewhat surprised that there wasn't a memory card included, so i bought a 16gig card. Spent a lot of the afternoon figuring out how to operate it. Oh well, I have a month to get comfortable with it before my cruise. I'm contemplating taking both cameras to Alaska.

I haven't seen any camera come with a memory card in a very long time unless it was bundled by the seller. The 4MB (yes, MB) card they used to include in the box with early digital cameras was a cruel joke anyway...I wonder how many people bought cameras "with memory card included", took it on vacation without really trying it out and found they only had room for eight or ten low-res photos?

Anyway, enjoy your new camera!

Dave

Let me know how you like it. I am still tossing up whether to get this one or the HX100V.

Let me know how you like it. I am still tossing up whether to get this one or the HX100V.

I took a doz or so pix of my dog this afternoon; so far so good. In comparison with my previous camera, Sony's DSC- F828, this one sure is light, and about half the size. The new one has a lot of features the older one doesn't have. I'll probably keep the older one as I like taking infrared photos, and as the new camera doesn't have threads to attach filters, that won't work. I guess it won't hurt me to have two cameras.

I didn't compare this camera with anything else. Actually this one was the only one Best Buy had (of the Sony's) with the exception of their compacts - which I wasn't interested in at all.

I haven't seen any camera come with a memory card in a very long time unless it was bundled by the seller. The 4MB (yes, MB) card they used to include in the box with early digital cameras was a cruel joke anyway...I wonder how many people bought cameras "with memory card included", took it on vacation without really trying it out and found they only had room for eight or ten low-res photos?

Anyway, enjoy your new camera!

Dave

I just made an assumption (and yes I know what happens when one assumes...) that there would be a card included. The sales guy at Best Buy said that he didn't know of any camera now that comes with a memory card bundled. As inexpensive as they are, I may get a 2nd card before my trip in June, as well as an additional battery.

As inexpensive as they are, I may get a 2nd card before my trip in June, as well as an additional battery.

Well, thanks!

You just shot down My #1 piece of advice for vacationers with a new camera! :D

If I may add: Shoot at the highest resolution and always in JPEG Fine (not standard). It is easy to size a copy of a picture down to post or re-compress a copy to email but going the other way with a small image for a large print of a favorite is a sure path to disappointment.

Again, enjoy!

Dave

Well, thanks!

You just shot down My #1 piece of advice for vacationers with a new camera! :D

If I may add: Shoot at the highest resolution and always in JPEG Fine (not standard). It is easy to size a copy of a picture down to post or re-compress a copy to email but going the other way with a small image for a large print of a favorite is a sure path to disappointment.

Again, enjoy!

Dave

Sorry, but I'm already doing that. What was the piece of advice, a 2nd battery or a 2nd memory card, or perhaps both? With my Sony 828, I have an additional battery, but only 1 2gig micro drive. I recently bought a 4gig micro drive but it doesn't fit my camera, even though the website says the drive is compatible. Oh well, I'll just send it back for a refund. I may look into getting a memory stick for the 828 as it takes either memory stick or flash drive.

• 2 months later...

Archived