Rental Car Shuttle to Honolulu Cruise Port

MinnieCruiser

Has anyone rented a car in Honolulu and used a rental car shuttle to the cruise port? If you did, was it convenient? We will be on the the Serenade 10/6/05 and were planning on having a rental car the day before the cruise.

MinnieCruiser

Some years ago Alamo provided shuttles from their airport location to the pier, but now I think they only provide a shuttle from the Ilikai office. I'm guessing you are flying to Honolulu and then getting on the ship?? You could pick a car up from Alamo at their airport location and then drop it off at the Ilikai and get a shuttle back to the pier. Bad news is that there used to be a dropoff fee of about $35. National Car Rentals also has an office near the Ilikai and they do not have a dropoff fee, BUT they don't have a shuttle from that office. I last checked about 2 years ago and they said they would provide a shuttle from the airport to the pier, do not know if that is still true. While there was no shuttle from the pier to their Waikiki office, we just hopped on theBus and it took us almost to their front door, actually right across the street.

Parking at the pier is not permitted overnight at the public lots, BUT unofficially you can park there for $25 per nite. Check with the parking attendent first and they will explain the procedure. You will get a notice on the windshield advising you it is illegal to park there, but we were told to just ignore it. I'm sure if you left it there a second nite, they would probably tow it???

You may not like this answer, but, it worked for us. We rented at the airport, and turned in the car there after dropping our luggage at teh ship, and getting checked in. We paid $5 to park while doing this. After dropping off the car, we took the shuttle over to the terminal, caught a cab to the pier. It was less than $15, and not much hassle at all.

Archived